Change the fuel filter!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My LX has always been fueled in major town's gas station's and has never visited a 3rd world country. I just thought it might be a good idea to change the fuel filter @ 195K as it is cheap and i wanted to take a look at what was inside. Be careful what you wish for........

The only challenge was breaking loose the 14MM main fuel line. Use penetrating fluid in advance. Other than that a 1 banana job...... I haven't driven it yet as i am in the middle of a complete brake job but i will comment on any differences noticed

ff 1.jpg

ff 2.jpg

Um, don't know if you have ever changed a fuel filter before but ALMOST everyone I've ever done looks like that. Changed my daughter's filter 50k miles and it looked the same, that is the lowest mileage one I've ever done personally.

mine looked about the same too - at about 160,000. I wonder when they start looking bad? It seemed that mine would only make my fuel worse, not better. I don't know how they engineer them, but I suspect they must bypass the filter medium at some point to just keep it running. Would be good to see one after 50,000 for comparison.

That one doesn't look bad. Just dry out the media, and you'll see its A-ok and could last another 100-200k miles. I took mine OEM factory one out at 172k and it looked fine and dandy.

Dont forget the in tank one
ThTs more of a pre-screen than anything. I’ve pulled several and none have been bad enough to warrant a change.

ThTs more of a pre-screen than anything. I’ve pulled several and none have been bad enough to warrant a change.

Same. I've changed out several...just because I was in there, but I've never seen a fuel pump screen/sock that was anything other than discolored.

Fuel 'filters' are another matter.

They're supposed to look like that, it means it was working.
I change mine every 50k, it's cheap and easy. For $10 you can't go wrong.

And no, a clogged fuel filter will not be by-passed, your engine just will not run.

This reminds me I have a fuel filter that has been sitting in my garage for over a year. I really need to get on it.

Primary is in the engine bay, nice old school, easy to get to.

Agreed, and the fuel pump is an easy access as well. They really over engineered these units to be field serviceable in the worst conditions around the world. Good thinking on Toyota's part.

This reminds me I have a fuel filter that has been sitting in my garage for over a year. I really need to get on it.

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Mine was pretty nasty. And I don't mean just the paper filter element. It had some serious sludge in it.

FF2_zpsbbjlt3rx.jpg

04 LC @ 170k. It had 1/4 left without discoloration.

20180630_181657.jpg

20180630_181552.jpg

Yep and when it starts to clog up the strain it puts on the pump causes it to go bad. $15 part, easy to get to, easy to do good insurance for the fuel pump.

Earlier this year had my TB/WP replaced at dealer. For some humor I inquired on fuel filter replacement and I was immediately informed that those are not usually replaced. They didnt even have one in stock and quoted $166.99 PLUS tax to replace!!!!

20181120_153143.jpg

Earlier this year had my TB/WP replaced at dealer. For some humor I inquired on fuel filter replacement and I was immediately informed that those are not usually replaced. They didnt even have one in stock and quoted $166.99 PLUS tax to replace!!!!

View attachment 1836054

Part is more than people here are saying. The OEM Toyota filter is ~$50. I could easily see $100 in labor from a mechanic who never does this. It isn't hard but labor is expensive.

i did mine at 160k ish, looked new. I don't know what kind of gas you're supplied, but that's some nasty stuff.

dang, that's fugly. Simplicity +1 for the 100 for sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom