Those who have changed Fuel Filter...difference? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I took my LC on a long trip and while at idle for long periods of time (2 hours), the RPM's started getting a little rough. No lights, never stalled or ever close...but from a consistent 7-800RPM's at idle with AC, it would occasionally drop to 4-500 and jump right back up. It wasn't "rough", but something wasn't right and it only happened after long idles (twice, 2+ hours each time, 100 degrees outside)

I'm going to do an OEM Fuel Filter (inexpensive DIY) change. I'm not real confident in the fuel I put in before (older gas station, but 93 octane). The truck ran like it always does on highways, 75-80mph...and then at a 30 min idle, no questions asked later in my trip. Full trip was 1500+ miles.

If you've changed the filter, did you notice anything different? Normally my truck idles smooth, drives smooth...other than when an ignition coil/plug went out (about 10K miles ago), I've never had any issues. With my mileage, I figured I should change the filter as a PM...and see where it goes.

Thoughts?

I'm looking around, it seems like cleaning my MAF sensor might also help. It looks like a new OEM MAF sensor is $110? Many of the postings said $600+, so they cleaned them with a cleaner. If its a simple disconnect, swap and reconnect...I'd rather pay the money and get a new OEM MAF sensor. On a side note, after the idle/RMP hopping the second time, I put gas in it 20 minutes later and when I removed the cap, there was more pressure than normal in the tank.

A new MAF and Fuel Filter...$150, might not be a bad idea?

Just buy the MAF cleaner instead of a sensor along with cleaning the throttle body to help with rough idle.

I changed the fuel filter without any noticeable difference, but for the reassurance of cleaner fuel it was worthwhile.

I changed my fuel filter in my 99 around 300k miles. It seemed to be the original and it was quite nasty when I cut it open to investigate. I am the second owner of this cruiser and I saw no record of it being replaced by the original owner in the Toyota service history. Truthfully, I did not notice any change in response, idle, fuel mileage or general drivability with a new fuel filter. I am glad it was changed simply because now I know it wont cause me any issues.

The MAF has cause more drivability issues than anything else in my 99. A new MAF (or cleaning) along with a through cleaning of the contacts in the plug would certainly help if it is the root of your issue. Use your favorite OBD scanner and watch the MAF and Intake Air Temperature (they are the same sensor). If you see hesitation or inaccurate readings, the MAF definitely needs some attention.

The excessive fuel tank pressure is probably due to heat/boiling gas. See this extremely long thread:

Not THAT much pressure for fumes, etc. No check engine light, so I'm not sure if anything would register in a scanner...wouldn't it need to "throw a code" in order for it to be read?

I took my LC on a long trip and while at idle for long periods of time (2 hours), the RPM's started getting a little rough. No lights, never stalled or ever close...but from a consistent 7-800RPM's at idle with AC, it would occasionally drop to 4-500 and jump right back up. It wasn't "rough", but something wasn't right and it only happened after long idles (twice, 2+ hours each time, 100 degrees outside)

I'm going to do an OEM Fuel Filter (inexpensive DIY) change. I'm not real confident in the fuel I put in before (older gas station, but 93 octane). The truck ran like it always does on highways, 75-80mph...and then at a 30 min idle, no questions asked later in my trip. Full trip was 1500+ miles.

If you've changed the filter, did you notice anything different? Normally my truck idles smooth, drives smooth...other than when an ignition coil/plug went out (about 10K miles ago), I've never had any issues. With my mileage, I figured I should change the filter as a PM...and see where it goes.

Thoughts?
IMG_0282.jpeg
Here’s mine at @ 235k miles and this one was still original from factory. It’s really hard to compare pre and post fuel filter replacement as the 2UZ’s idle was already smooth.

No big sediments at the bottom of the cup, just dark fuel from the filter.

Weekend project...start with this DIY and see what happens. I guess it can't hurt...

LC FuelFilter 081023.jpg

Don't forget the green clips. They can technically be reused (but FSM calls for them to be replaced)...after a couple hundred thousand miles of heat cycling, they might just break on you.

Don't forget the green clips. They can technically be reused (but FSM calls for them to be replaced)...after a couple hundred thousand miles of heat cycling, they might just break on you.
Do you know the part number? I've seen some reuse them and some just order new clips...I'd rather just new, I'd just need the part number.

Do you know the part number? I've seen some reuse them and some just order new clips...I'd rather just new, I'd just need the part number.
I think I found it

90923-07002

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom