Ceramic Coated Headers Rusting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.interrobangletterpress.com
yep, that's right. the nifty ceramic coated headers i put on last fall are covered with rust spots.

needless to say, i'm a bit disappointed.

anyone else having this happen?

JP_FJ40 said:
yep, that's right. the nifty ceramic coated headers i put on last fall are covered with rust spots.

needless to say, i'm a bit disappointed.

anyone else having this happen?

Where did you purchase this product?

Have you contacted them, or did you start out here?

Jet-Hot's "lifetime" warranty is only for the first time coating. I had the same issue after I had my header coated. I sent it back after about 18 months and they re-coated it, but the second coatind was warrantied for I think 3 years. The second coating has held up very well though. How do they know? They etch a customer # on the 1st coating, and add to it if it's sent back.

what brand? keep in mind that not all ceramic headers are coated inside and out. the cheaper ones are just coated outside, so they rust from the inside out.

YES, this happened to me as well! Don't go to this place:

http://www.performancecoatings.com/

PERFORMANCE COATINGS , I paid big bucks to have my vortec headers coated, followed their directions and they did not hold up, 2 weeks later and they had rust spots, fing rip off! I swear they just sprayed them with paint because there is NO WAY they did a quality job.......

obviously still bitter about it, :(, will be much more careful and get a guarantee and some referrals before I do this again!

Noah

Jet-Hot was actually really a good company to deal with in my problem. May have helped I took plenty of pix and sent them to their customer service, and others in the company. FWIW I bought the header used for $30 and prior to initial install sent it to them for coating. They had some surface rust before the 1st time I sent them to be coated.

Do you have any pictures? We have never heard of this happening. Either they were defective out of the box or you chipped them doing the install. There is really no way for those to rust unless the coating was removed. If there was a problem with them you can always call us first to see if we can help.

Steve

JP_FJ40 said:
they are the Man-A-Fre 2 piece headers.

Please post up some pictures...Lets see what this is all about....

I have been running a set of the MAF ceramic coated headers on the Red truck for over a year now, and they still look great.

They come very well packed and protected, at least the three sets that I have installed have all shown up that way.

I have not seen anything with the ones I use or the others that I have installed that would cause me to not want to purchase another set. They are a very high quality product.

:beer:

My ceramic headers also rusted and this is something that I did not know, I'm not sure if you have a new motor or not, I got this from the Hooker site

Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers WILL result in damage to the coating and will VOID all warranties. Ceramic coated headers require several heat cycles to fully cure before they will withstand extreme heat. Hooker recommends using cast iron exhaust manifolds or old headers to break in new engines to avoid coating damage. Please call Hooker tech service at 270–781–9741 for additional information regarding ceramic coated exhaust products.

What makes "breaking in" an engine different????
Do they mean you should run it for a minute or two and then shut it down, let it fully cool, and repeat???

Soul_Man said:
What makes "breaking in" an engine different????
Do they mean you should run it for a minute or two and then shut it down, let it fully cool, and repeat???

Hooker recommends using cast iron exhaust manifolds or old headers to break in new engines to avoid coating damage. Please call Hooker tech service at 270–781–9741 for additional information regarding ceramic coated exhaust products.

Poser said:
Please post up some pictures...Lets see what this is all about....

Agreed, I'm not calling anyone a lier or anything but I havent seen this happen before.

Poser said:
I have been running a set of the MAF ceramic coated headers on the Red truck for over a year now, and they still look great.

Maybe you should wheel harder you poser. :D

Poser said:
They come very well packed and protected, at least the three sets that I have installed have all shown up that way.

I have not seen anything with the ones I use or the others that I have installed that would cause me to not want to purchase another set. They are a very high quality product.

:beer:

Thank you very much. I know that you have purchased several sets from us for various rigs, your opinion is definately knowledgable and un-biased.

:beer: Steve

sorry, been away for while busy doing other things. i'll get some pics posted up in a few days. i'm taking a long needed week up in VT and i'll have a garage to pull into to tighten things up, undercarriage paint, etc. etc.

still, no foolin. rust.

I have a set of MAF ceramic headers that are rusting as well. They have been on my truck a little under 12 months. I will post pics.

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom