Centered transfer case output and 60 rear axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've been pondering an Isuzu 4bd1t swap, and the folks at isuzudieselswapper recommended the Ford/Mazda M5OD 5-speed as a cheap transmission that is a good match to the diesel (low 1st, good overdrive 5th). H55f is too rich for my blood, before you ask. :eek: As far as I know, nobody makes any adapters to match the M5OD to a toyota transfer case, so I'd probably end up having to run a Ford-compatible TC with centered rear output.

I would like to keep the stock rear axle because I think it contributes to the character of the rig (not too many offset rears out on the trail). Now in theory, the U joints on the driveshaft shouldn't care which direction the driveshaft is going, as long as the angle isn't too steep, right? How much angle can a driveshaft typically take? Does anyone have any experience running a centered rear output TC with a 60 axle? Am I nuts?

Do they make an adapter to run a NP203? Then you could use the 203 as a doubler in front of the split case. Would be sweet.

Howdy! We have a local guy who used that engine in his FJ 55. It runs thru a mini truck 5 speed and dual transfercases. I don't think he had much truouble getting that combo to fit together. He's very ahppy with it, and he does wheel it pretty hard. John

wouldn't a Ford transfer case have the front output on the wrong side?

Yes, it would, but by mixing input gears and t/c's there are other RH drop options that could be made to mate to the Ford trans. Might need a clocking ring to get the front output in the right place. Different OE's use the same 6 bolt pattern, but put "12:00" in different places.

When I had Jess @ HAD build companion flanges for my NP241 he asked what I was going to do about the rear axle. He emphatically did not think it would be good to run the centered rear output transfer case with the stock rear axle's pinion location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom