Center Differential Lock Transfer Indicator Switch Problem (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The switch is not usually worn.... just sticky. A bit of spray lube and exercise and you are good to go.

i was more concerned about clearances. if for some reason the 14" length of the wrench wont be able to move in the tight space to loosen the switch. the spray lube is good idea though. Also is it advisable to add some sort of anti seize to the new switch's threads before installing it?

No anti-seize needed. Not sure if wrench size is best.

So I finally got around to doing it this past weekend. I tried it just by crawling under the truck but it was just way too tight to move around under there. I bough a pair of rhino rack ramps ($45) and that gave me additional 6 inches of clearance to work with. I tried and tried to unscrew it with the little leverage afforded by the damned heat shield that tried to cut me each time but it didn't work. Finally what worked for me is by using both hands. I had position myself in such a way that i'm holding on to the switch and wrench head with one hand while the other turns the wrench. At that position i can't see the switch so it's all by feel. Even so it only took 2 tries and i got a quarter turn in which was enough to loosen it. I unclipped the wiring harness which was just barely doable by hand. I almost gave up to get a small screwdriver but it finally came off. After that i was able remove the switch by hand.

The new switch came with a washer but I ended up not using it. Against better judgement I left the original washer in place. It seemed to be set and stuck in place so I decided to leave it there. Not being able to see it would have made it a pain to replace with the new one.

After hand tightening it in to place. I used the same position and 2 hand method to give a quarter turn (or less) to tighten it down. I clipped the wiring harness back on easily.

Tested it out and sure enough the diff lock indicator came on when i pushed the diff lock button. Woo hoo! no more surprises of finding out my differential is locked when i'm turning to park. lol.

IMG_4561.jpg

I would recommend for others to use a shorter 27mm" wrench than i got. the shorter the better. I think the 14" I got is probably the longest that will work... barely.

So I finally got around to doing it this past weekend. I tried it just by crawling under the truck but it was just way too tight to move around under there. I bough a pair of rhino rack ramps ($45) and that gave me additional 6 inches of clearance to work with. I tried and tried to unscrew it with the little leverage afforded by the damned heat shield that tried to cut me each time but it didn't work. Finally what worked for me is by using both hands. I had position myself in such a way that i'm holding on to the switch and wrench head with one hand while the other turns the wrench. At that position i can't see the switch so it's all by feel. Even so it only took 2 tries and i got a quarter turn in which was enough to loosen it. I unclipped the wiring harness which was just barely doable by hand. I almost gave up to get a small screwdriver but it finally came off. After that i was able remove the switch by hand.

The new switch came with a washer but I ended up not using it. Against better judgement I left the original washer in place. It seemed to be set and stuck in place so I decided to leave it there. Not being able to see it would have made it a pain to replace with the new one.

After hand tightening it in to place. I used the same position and 2 hand method to give a quarter turn (or less) to tighten it down. I clipped the wiring harness back on easily.

Tested it out and sure enough the diff lock indicator came on when i pushed the diff lock button. Woo hoo! no more surprises of finding out my differential is locked when i'm turning to park. lol.

View attachment 2450420

I would recommend for others to use a shorter 27mm" wrench than i got. the shorter the better. I think the 14" I got is probably the longest that will work... barely.
Another success story. Glad it was a simple fix.

Just discovered I have this problem.

Found this web page that provides a good explanation/fix for the problem - Lexus LX470 (Toyota Landcruiser) 4WD Center Differential Lock Transfer Indicator Switch Problem

Anyone else ever had this problem, where the center differential locks, but the lights doesn't come on? And was the fix the same as this page describes?
View attachment 536700View attachment 536701

I’m uncovering this oldddddd thread. I think I’ve figured out what switch I’m replacing etc because I’m not getting CDL light, VSC off light but it certainly feels like everything is working mechanically. That link is dead which explains why its not working, was wondering if there was a new link?

I’m uncovering this oldddddd thread. I think I’ve figured out what switch I’m replacing etc because I’m not getting CDL light, VSC off light but it certainly feels like everything is working mechanically. That link is dead which explains why its not working, was wondering if there was a new link?
It could be your dash indicator lights if you feel/hear it engage and then hear it "snap" on/off. Otherwise, just replace the part listed in this thread and see if that fixes the indicator lights. It's a one banana job and only costs a few bucks.

It could be your dash indicator lights if you feel/hear it engage and then hear it "snap" on/off. Otherwise, just replace the part listed in this thread and see if that fixes the indicator lights. It's a one banana job and only costs a few bucks.
Yeah, the lights turn on when I start the car with the rest of the dash so that sensor is probably just out.

Reactions: MJK
I have the same problem, but the lights doesn't even come on when I turn the ignition... 😏 I don't hear anything when I press the button. 🙈 Is there hope? 😁❤️ My low range gear works, but no lights turn on in the dash.. 😏

Just got an '02 LX470 with this problem. CDL is definitely engaged, but no light. Took it to the nearest sand pit to test it out quick and noticed that VSC and TRAC are both still kicking in. Is this supposed to happen when the CDL is engaged? Does the sensor also tell the system to turn off VSC and TRAC?

Last edited:
I think I'll be doing this in the near future. The CDL worked about 10k miles ago and everything lit up. I got the binding and hard to turn right feeling the other night and found the switch depressed. No CDL or VSC OFF on the dash though. I can hear the relay click behind the glove compartment when I press the switch.

Hi, Can you tell me please if you turn key to ignition, are CDL and VSC Off ligts tested on the dashboard? mine sre not, and It looks that I have same problem.

Hi,
My mechanic disconnect the plug (one on the top right), clean it etc, with no result. When he shorted it, CDL light is coming on dashboard. He told me to order a sensor, as probably this is faulty. I cant find this part number. Any ideas where I can look for it? Thanks in advance.

Put this in my 03.

Beck Arnley 201-1788 Back Up Lamp Switch

It won't show the amazon link when I paste it. You will have to search by part number.

CDL and VSC off does not come on at start-up
When the CDL button is engaged, CDL comes on but VSC does not

I tried debugging using techstream but do not get any errors for VSC

Keen to hear what others think

CDL and VSC off does not come on at start-up
When the CDL button is engaged, CDL comes on but VSC does not

I tried debugging using techstream but do not get any errors for VSC

Keen to hear what others think
CDL dash light is not supposed to come on at startup. It comes on only when the CDL is physically locked by the mechanism, so yours is working well.

I’m not sure when the VSC OFF light should illuminate (my ‘98 doesn’t have VSC), but if it’s never coming on I’d check the bulb.

This illustration just helped me a ton. I also had no lights on dash when depressing CDL button. I replaced what I thought was the CDL switch. I mistakenly replaced the "low switch." No change, I was bummed. CDL and low switches must be the same. I just removed the actual CDL switch and replaced with the original low switch. Problem solved! CDL and VSC lights come on.

20210425_202318.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom