Center Diff Light Fix - My Experience (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Changed the sensor with the one mentioned in the thread and I still have the problem with the VSC lights staying on after unlocking it.

Here's a diagram from the 2006 LX470 FSM with the location of the CDL relative to the others.

To clarify - my CDL seems to work (I can hear a relay click when I push the button and I can still get out of sticky situations easier after engaging it) but my dash lights (CDL, VSC companion lights) don't illuminate. Is this the same symptom y'all experienced? Or was your CDL not working at all?
I have this issue too. I hit the lock diff button, the lock diff light and VSC off light do not illuminate, but the truck is much harder to turn on hard surfaces, so, it seems like the diff is activating? I verified that the VSC Off light does work, it comes on when you star the truck. Probably have locked the diff no more than 5 times in 20 years, hard to believe that the light has gone bad?

-S

Are the indicator switches the only things that go bad? When searching, that is all I can find. I'm looking at an '03 from afar. My cousin drove it and the CDL and VSC Off did not light up on the dash and he doesn't think he heard any click behind the glovebox. He did not drive it in circles to see if it actually locked. The CDL light doesn't come on when you turn the key on with all other dash lights, so seems like that light may be bad? But no VSC Off light also seems like it is not locking properly. Any thoughts?

Are the indicator switches the only things that go bad? When searching, that is all I can find. I'm looking at an '03 from afar. My cousin drove it and the CDL and VSC Off did not light up on the dash and he doesn't think he heard any click behind the glovebox. He did not drive it in circles to see if it actually locked. The CDL light doesn't come on when you turn the key on with all other dash lights, so seems like that light may be bad? But no VSC Off light also seems like it is not locking properly. Any thoughts?

yeah, mine did the same thing. The truck will engage but there was no lights on the dash. The sensor did fix this issue. Both lights worked properly after switching the sensor!

Good to hear. I did confirm the relay in the dash is operating, so I think I'm looking at a simple fix. If all goes well I'll have the rig home in 2 weeks. Most paranoid sellers I've ever dealt with making the transaction far too complicated. If my cousin weren't there to help it would be impossible.

Good to hear. I did confirm the relay in the dash is operating, so I think I'm looking at a simple fix. If all goes well I'll have the rig home in 2 weeks. Most paranoid sellers I've ever dealt with making the transaction far too complicated. If my cousin weren't there to help it would be impossible.
The hardest part of the install is getting the dang socket on the sensor. You’ll need to make sure you have the right socket. It’s a big one! I forget the size but it’s on the forum. You may end up having to loosen and move the heat shield out of the way. Good luck! Let me know if I can help!

I would ask your cousin to drive it in circles, confirm the CDL engages(would hate to discover otherwise!!!), but it sure sounds like the issue described in this thread. If so, easy fix!

I feel like i'm having the opposite problem. My VSC OFF and CDL light will NOT turn off and I cannot hear the relay engaging when I push the button under the glove box.

Thoughts?

Just wanted to drop a quick thank you to you all for all the info/tips here. I used the Beck Arnley switch to fix the lack of indicator light when my diff was locked. Diff locked and unlocked just fine... Lock indicator light/vsc just didn't light up.
I'd also like to add that if you're into self mutilation, or maybe just need inspiration in making up new and creative curse words... you can get this done with a 10" crescent wrench. (not recommend)

When I use my CDL the light comes on as well as VSC TRAC and VSC OFF lights. When I disengage the CDL the VSC lights stay illuminated until I turn the truck off then back on. The CDL works right away when I hit the switch. Could this switch possibly be the culprit of the VSC lights staying illuminated?

It has been this way since I purchased the vehicle a few months ago. It has worked intermittently for a few hours (only CDL / VSC TRAC light comes on when engaged, then both go off the CDL is disengaged) when I was out wheeling once, but then reverted back to the description above.
I have the same issue. Did you ever find a solution? I already replaced the switch.

I had mine replaced last week
542EADCC-CDF7-499F-8FF1-6C2403A098E5.jpeg
EC6B5FC2-66AC-489F-8B77-E9C2819A921C.jpeg

When I press the switch I can hear the relay from behind the dashboard click and the actuator under the vehicle at the T-case work, but CDL or VSC OFF light on the dash doesn’t turn on.

To rule out it could be the bulb of the CDL and VSC OFF on the dashboard, I also replaced those with brand new good working #74 LED bulbs. CDL and VSC OFF lights on the dash only turn on during engine startup, then it turns off after a second even if the CDL switch is pressed.

Any other leads?

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Did you ever find a solution? I already replaced the switch.
No I did not resolve the issue. My switch always works, but everything doesn't reset until I restart. On weekend wheeling adventures it'll work normal for a few hours here and there though...

Thanks OP and all who contributed - this fixed me right up for $15.

A 27mm 12pt box end wrench is absolutely the way to do this - This Tekton is slightly too long unless you grind the open end off.

No I did not resolve the issue. My switch always works, but everything doesn't reset until I restart. On weekend wheeling adventures it'll work normal for a few hours here and there though...
The only think that I can think of logically that can cause this is a relay. Stuck/sticky contact inside a relay.

Any other news on this? Seems like a lot of people are having this issue. No good answer yet that I can find, and many seem to be ignoring the problem as it clears after a restart.

Greetings. When I bought my '98 LX, the center diff lock light did not illuminate on the dash, when pressing the button or putting the transfer case into low. I'm posting this because in my searches to find a fix, I found a lot of good advice but it was kind of all over the place and there were a handful of unanswered questions so I thought I could offer some clarity.

First and foremost, this page, which was linked in a thread here on mud, was really my go to. It's about as awesome of a DIY as they get.

Lexus LX470/Toyota Landcruiser 4WD Center Differential Lock Transfer Indicator Switch Problem

In a quest to save some monies, I searched the Google for the toyota part number, 84222-12010, and I stumbled upon some threads in the 80's section here on mud. A lot of those guys were having similar issues wih their CDL and rear lockers. Some of those guys used a car parts store brand part and had good results so I thought I'd try it on my LX. The cheapest I could find the oem switch online was $65.99 before shipping.

I ordered the Beck Arnley 201-1788 "Back Up Lamp Switch" from Amazon, $18.12 shipped. It solved the problem.

This thread isn't a DIY, because like I said earlier, the link posted is great for that, but hopefully this will help future folks in their searches for a fix.

For me, a 12" 27MM combination wrench was the tool that got the old sensor out. I had a hell of a time fitting my fat hands up there without slicing my wrists to bits, but the box end of the wrench was where I found success. All I needed was a few inches and a tiny bit of leverage to get it broken loose just a hair, the rest of it spun freely with my fingers. I didn't take any pictures, but I had the best angle coming from the passenger side, feet to the rear, wedging my arms between the front propellor shaft and the razor sharp exhaust heat shield.

Hope this helps some one, some day.

Great thread - wish I could see the DIY from monkeeworks - link is dead.

Update after replacing the component and used it for a few months: the CDL light now turns on/off when I press the CDL switch on 4L mode. However the VSC TRAC light won’t turn off even after the CDL light has turned off and switch unpressed or even when I switched back to 4H. The only time the VSC TRAC light turns off is when I completely turn the engine off and back on again.
64BAE8B9-BC56-4BDF-AB05-9865ECCC84AB.jpeg

Just replaced mine with the Beck/Arnley and a 27mm ratcheting wrench. Only took about 10 min and the light comes on when I push the CDL button now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom