CEL: Code PO116 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GA Trevor

SILVER Star
Threads
I have already searched and did not find any info on others that have had the same problem.
I know that the code has to do with the engine coolant and have checked the coolant, it is full.
So my question is should i just take it to the dealership or has anyone on mud had experience with this code?

Any help is appreciated, Trevor

Notes

DTC P0116 Engine Coolant Temp. Range/Performance Problem

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
A thermistor built into the engine coolant temperature sensor changes the resistance value according to the engine coolant temperature.
The structure of the sensor and connection to the ECM is the same as in the intake air temp. circuit malfunction.
If the ECM detects the DTC P0115, it operates the fail safe function in which the engine coolant temp. is assumed to be 80°C (176°F).

DETECTING CONDITION

WIRING DIAGRAM

Step 1

Step 2

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

HINT: If DTC "P0115" (engine coolant temp. circuit malfunction) and "P0116" (engine coolant temp. circuit range/performance) are output simultaneously, engine coolant temp. sensor circuit may be open.
Perform troubleshooting of DTC P0115 first.

The CEL has to do with your coolant temperature rise and set time frames. It's either a bad thermostat or a bad coolant temp sensor. I get this code once in a while. It's been less than a year since I changed the thermostat so I'm inclined to think it's the temp sensor. I just clear the code and keep going. One of these days I'll change the sensor.

So in theory it is okay to drive on this until the weekend?

I just had my Toy tech buddy pull this code today on mine. He logged into the factory site for techs and basically said if the t-stat and sensor are ok, to replace the ecu with the latest version. It is really no big deal as others have said. I will get the code if I don't let the engine warm more than 2-3 minutes during the winter in CO.

Alright sounds good. Thanks for the help. I guess the old LC isnt used to Georgia being this cold.

Pics from today

F7602A2C-151D-44AE-89A7-BCD942A2A600.jpeg

D69C87C3-2EDE-447A-897E-EC50D27175A5.jpeg

0B6363E5-1DED-42AB-9E16-2488163EF57F.jpeg

46696D56-F6DA-4470-AEEC-C23087709623.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom