This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y’all. So I got a check engine light one night on the 80. Disconnected the negative and it disappeared. Next day it came back on start up, ½ mile down the road, engine started skipping/ puttering. Drove to auto store and got a new battery, no CEL. 2 days later it’s back. Tried the wire jump on obd1, no flash. Went to auto store used there reader and got a failure to connect. Removed negative and CEL is gone so we’ll see.

Note worthing things is I just recently replace super old fuel and air filter( no leaks and started like effin dream, she is purring).
After replacing battery, when at destination maybe 2 miles away I smelt gas. Only that one time and never again.
also drive light on dash isn’t working now, all other gear lights work.

So anyways why won’t the obd1 work? And any thoughts on the code?

Use the search function on here.
Otherwise...what's your year model?
Yeah you mentioned OBD1 but still....
And be specific. Vin specific.

Use the search function on here.
Otherwise...what's your year model?
Yeah you mentioned OBD1 but still....
And be specific. Vin specific.
It’s a 95. tried doing a search and I think the possible issue is that I don’t have the it in neutral? The original post I saw never mentioned it had to be in neutral to read codes. Is that correct?

Follow the FSM procedure for checking codes. If you don't use the correct sequence, you can clear the code before you get a chance to view them.

If you don't have the FSM, find it for download via the Resources section in the forum menu

Follow the FSM procedure for checking codes. If you don't use the correct sequence, you can clear the code before you get a chance to view them.

If you don't have the FSM, find it for download via the Resources section in the forum menu
FWIW, the only way I know of to clear codes on an OBD1 80 Series is to remove B+ from the ECU by removing the 15 amp EFI MAIN fuse or disconnecting the battery.

Hey y’all. So I got a check engine light one night on the 80. Disconnected the negative and it disappeared. Next day it came back on start up, ½ mile down the road, engine started skipping/ puttering. Drove to auto store and got a new battery, no CEL. 2 days later it’s back. Tried the wire jump on obd1, no flash. Went to auto store used there reader and got a failure to connect. Removed negative and CEL is gone so we’ll see.

Note worthing things is I just recently replace super old fuel and air filter( no leaks and started like effin dream, she is purring).
After replacing battery, when at destination maybe 2 miles away I smelt gas. Only that one time and never again.
also drive light on dash isn’t working now, all other gear lights work.

So anyways why won’t the obd1 work? And any thoughts on the code?

It’s a 95. tried doing a search and I think the possible issue is that I don’t have the it in neutral? The original post I saw never mentioned it had to be in neutral to read codes. Is that correct?
I'm confused. You say it's a '95? How do you know this? If you used a code reader at the auto parts store, where did you plug it in? Most '95's are OBD II and if you have the OBD II connector inside the cab, under the dash, that confirms it's a OBD II. Any type OBD I attempts to read codes (jumper and reading blinking lights on dash) will have inaccurate results, if it's a OBD II. First you need to identify which OBD you have and then you can proceed with problem determination with FSM or here on Mud. Pics of the engine bay and door ID plate included here will help folks here to help you to ID year and OBD type, if that's still in question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom