CATS GOT STOLEN, CUT o2 sensors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
like title states some tweak stole my cats cut them right out with o2 sensors and all, its running noticeably rough, I've got down pipes on their way, o2s as well, now the question is will I run into any issues besides the CEL for the rear sensor noticing the cat "isn't working"
State of Hawaii does not have emissions laws so that is of no worry
Any advice would be appreciated

FJ62? If you've got a stock drivetrain and exhaust there is no post cat O2 sensor. You do want both O2 sensors in place since one is used for the first three cylinders and the other is for the last three. These are more for regulating the fuel injection in this setup and not so much for smog control (though if the mixture is off from a bad O2 sensor signal, it could lead to a cat overheating which would be bad juju). I've run without cats for years on my 62, but yes you do definitely want the O2 sensors in place.

FJ62? If you've got a stock drivetrain and exhaust there is no post cat O2 sensor. You do want both O2 sensors in place since one is used for the first three cylinders and the other is for the last three. These are more for regulating the fuel injection in this setup and not so much for smog control (though if the mixture is off from a bad O2 sensor signal, it could lead to a cat overheating which would be bad juju). I've run without cats for years on my 62, but yes you do definitely want the O2 sensors in place.
awesome well yeah ill be getting the down pipes in hopefully not long from now, ordered today. will need to straight pipe it the rest of the way, luckily ive got mediocre welding skills
then i gotta figure out why its overheating, my guess is clogged radiator and quite possibly clogged coolant jackets which lead to a blown head? hopefully not the latter

There are major differences in the school of thought. Some will tell you that both o2 sensors are required, others will tell you it doesn't matter. I've read from people it's been run both ways, and seems to not matter.

If theives are cutting off components from cars on your island, whose to say they're done cutting off stuff from your cruiser? Maybe they see your vehicle as a piece of cheese and they'll come back for another nibble in the future

If theives are cutting off components from cars on your island, whose to say they're done cutting off stuff from your cruiser? Maybe they see your vehicle as a piece of cheese and they'll come back for another nibble in the future
Cats are easy to cut off and easy to scrap for 50 bucks for a quick high, easy to slide under a car with a hacksaw and cut them out

There are major differences in the school of thought. Some will tell you that both o2 sensors are required, others will tell you it doesn't matter. I've read from people it's been run both ways, and seems to not matter.
In the of the FJ62, you need both. There is no post-cat O2 sensor and both are used to monitor A/F mixture ratio in the engine.

In the of the FJ62, you need both. There is no post-cat O2 sensor and both are used to monitor A/F mixture ratio in the engine.
hmmmm. I only run one in mine and it seems fine. Theoretically they should both be sending the same signals. I'm not smart though.

hmmmm. I only run one in mine and it seems fine. Theoretically they should both be sending the same signals. I'm not smart though.
It will go into basically a "limp mode" for the corresponding bank of cylinders if one bank's O2 sensor is gone, but for it to run the best, you definitely want both. If you look at the stock exhaust configuration, cylinders 1-3 have an O2 sensor, and cylinders 4-6 have a sensor.

Bought a 62 series that was sitting in an alley for 1 year, jump started and told the owner the cats were gone, he couldn't believe it.

I thought it was more prevalent back 2007-2008 when scrap was high, but it seems to be making a comeback now a days with all the tweekers

General census is I’ll be fine just gotta have the front o2’s , it’s already in limp mode, kind of just feels like it’s missing, it’s been overheating as I’ve stated previously I think, which may or may not be related idk picked two 62’s up for thousand bucks they ain’t no lookers but they got guts

Stolen cats are a big issue again here in the los angeles suburbs. The local PD has been warning people, specifically with Prius owners for whatever reason.

The local PD has been warning people, specifically with Prius owners for whatever reason.

have you ever tied to crawl under a prius? you would think the thieves would pick and choose easier targets, trucks, lifted trucks, SUV's, etc

Thieves use those lightweight alum jacks from HF, or some other rapid jack; they just shove under and jack without regard to what they F up when they raise the vehicle. A handful of companies is now selling bolt-on Alum belly plates for the Prius that are supposed to make it much more difficult to remove the CAT. Dunno, I don't own a Prius, but I've heard a bunch of people complain about loosing them recently, at work... Some had to pay - out of pocket - about $3K to have the damage fixed.

Thieves use those lightweight alum jacks from HF, or some other rapid jack; they just shove under and jack without regard to what they F up when they raise the vehicle. A handful of companies is now selling bolt-on Alum belly plates for the Prius that are supposed to make it much more difficult to remove the CAT. Dunno, I don't own a Prius, but I've heard a bunch of people complain about loosing them recently, at work... Some had to pay - out of pocket - about $3K to have the damage fixed.

OUCH!

Smoe cats are worrh more than others. I do some scraping myself not a tweeker tho. I've had a whole pallet of cats radiators and batteries stolen while out of town . The pallet was tucked away couldn't see it from the 5 lane hwy was someone i knew and who ever it was knew i was out of town too. Mother ****ers. Needless to say i have security cameras now but still i was 38 hot and anyone that stopped by got an earfull.

Another reason I don't have cats on my exhaust. If I end up getting a whole new exhaust soon (hoping to. Would like a get a 3 chamber Flowmaster and quiet it down a bit now) I'll likely still stay catless. If for whatever reason I don't, I'm going to do up a skid plate for underneath that'll integrate into the tranny crossmember and also shield the cat.

Great now I have to slam my FJ62 so hard that you can’t get a jack under it without driving onto some 2x8’s

Maybe I’ll just make it a hydraulic low rider and bounce it over rocks on the trails.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom