Cat Replaced (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
cats. It was basically worn, cracked and making loud noise when accelerating.
So, I went to the muffler shop and swapped with single high flow cat instead of 2 back to back cats.
Runs much smother and quieter!

I vote this the most vague post of the week :flipoff2:

Dan - I second that vague comment. I thought perhaps I missed something and jumped to page 2 of a long thread.

Man I can't keep up with all the "New" thread updates on this site and I'm sorry that I ever spent my bandwidth to enter this one.

To make matters worse, I'm replying to it. :slap:

R

Sorry for the VAGUE post.
Here it is.
Few month ago, I had my Cat diagnosed as "Clogged", rusted and disintegrated gaskets, resulting loud sound, exhaust leaking through the cat and joining gasket.
I went to the dealer (Shame on me) and the estimate was $1350.00 to replace cats.
No way in hell I am paying for that, so I decided to go to the local muffler shop who worked on replacing Toy LC double cats with one high flow cat referred by one of the MUD member.
So, I made an appointment and went twice but owner was having some issue and the shope was closed.
So, I decided to go back and shop was open with different owner but same mechanic. He knew what to do, so I gave my baby to his hand and Valla! Shaved off about 50lbs, car runs much smoother, quiter. I have not noticed MPG change.
I hope this helps.

MNCruiser-

Quick question, how much was the Cat then? (If you don't mind me askin)

Mark

Dude, details. We want the details :flipoff2:

My exhaust stinks. I think its the cats. I removed one and it looked ok. I could see through it, no leaks till I put the wrong gasket in and it got pinched.
I had a couple gaskets and didn't know where which one went so I just mached it up with the one that came out.
Well, now I know why it was leaking at the gasket before I removed the cat.. Some one put in the wrong gasket . It was too big and would fall out and get crushed when I would tighten the bolts.

I would love to have a time machine and go back in time and get a couple of "test tubes" (for testing only) and how the 80 runs without cats.
I would never try this in day of global warming.

Isn't it true that cat's only remove smog and cause more carbon(greenhouse) by burning up the gas that the motor didn't burn??? :-\

MN, dude, if you're going to tell us about how many times you had to go to the shop etc, then at least provide the pertinent details with the superfluous ones ok? :slap: :flipoff2:

Oh, and it's not valla. :flipoff2: :D

I will spell out the fluous details that are missing.
what make and model of cat, what did cat cost, how much labour in hours, custom pipe work needed or not, oh and have you run it through emissions testing yet?

As a data point:

CE light..coded....cats bad.....replaced @ dealer (Toyota, not Lexus)....both cats and O2s...all OEM...$2370.89........

:mad: I LOVE Gulf States Toyota.....

[quote author=bkgiii link=board=2;threadid=8376;start=msg71875#msg71875 date=1070664910]
As a data point:

CE light..coded....cats bad.....replaced @ dealer (Toyota, not Lexus)....both cats and O2s...all OEM...$2370.89........

[/quote]
:eek: Don't know what to say :-X
Where it the $$$ tree you pick the $ off?
I got a aftermarket cat from Downey for under $90 for the FJ60

.........i know ..I know.........that was PRIOR to this forum......

lesson learned.

[quote author=bkgiii link=board=2;threadid=8376;start=msg71875#msg71875 date=1070664910]
As a data point:

[/quote]

Dang dude, it's like next time I visit some por_ site I'm gonna see a pic of you since they did you over so bad. :-X :flipoff2: :eek: :-\

I'm waiting to hear if Shed Guy is running his pipes up out the hood dragster style.

Okay Okay details!!

Replaced Cat - Dynomax Highflow (OBD II compliant) $120.00
Labor - $55.00 (1 hour)
Needed roughly 4" pipes each end since it was shorter than stock double cats.

No CE Light, No Code.

Vadnais Heights Services in Vadnais Heights, MN.

bkgiii,

I just fell off my chair.

MNCruiser, does MN have smog testing? If yes, did the shop guarantee a pass?

Also, if yes to smog testing, have you ever read how it compares to california's smog regs?

Thanks for the details,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom