CarPlay Retrofit Update? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just spoke with a rep and their engineers should be contacting me to come in and test their retro-fit in the next week. They haven't tested on a Land Cruiser yet so fingers crossed that it works.

Let us know what you find out! Lots of anxious potential buyers here. I'd be happy to test one on my '18LC if they're looking for another guinea pig.

Let us know what you find out! Lots of anxious potential buyers here. I'd be happy to test one on my '18LC if they're looking for another guinea pig.
I'll update this thread or start a dedicated one once I have more information.

Hey everyone I was just checking the LC’s official page on Toyota’s website and there’s a sentence that caught my eye . It says Apple CarPlay compatible . Am I reading this correctly ? The 2020 LC has the same infotainment system as my 2019 as far as I know so maybe an update to the head unit can enable this ? Here’s a quick link 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser Luxury SUV | The timeless icon.
It has been discussed in another thread already. It is an error on the Toyota website.

At least the Bluetooth works. 🤪Once i get the iPhone 12 max, It will sit nicely alongside the nav screen. This is one reason i love my new/first iwatch. I load the directions and Spotify on my iPhone and it all syncs to my iwatch while the iPhone is charging in the QI cubby. Point I’m making is, the Spotify playlist goes through my LC speakers and the directions go right to my iwatch that notifies me when to turn, etc without looking at my screen. I can also just turn my wrist slightly while it’s on the steering wheel to see my next turn.

Who are the "they" you were in contact with? So curious

I've spoken with Sam Cho at Beatsonic multiple times. Last update I heard was last month, and they had no timeline in place.

Interesting to see that Grom has a "lite" version that only has mirroring and Android Auto/Carplay (with dongle). It says it supports touchscreen input. This may be the ticket!

Hello everyone. I’m a new LC owner. 2020 LC200 and for the most part, I love it. I knew it had old tech from the beginning. I didn’t buy it because of the touch screen. I have friends with Audi and Range Rovers and they are hands down advanced on the tech side. Their cars won’t be worth 40% of their value in 5 years and our LCs will... and they won’t even be mid- life yet. Full disclosure here, I’m bias because I worked at JBL as a resident audio engineer inside TMC in Japan for 4 years, 10 years at JBL’s parent company “Harman” which is now owned by Samsung. I left the company to do consulting and started a business quite a while ago. This forum’s comments and theories about the Toyota design decisions and motives are mostly spot on. It’s a low volume product here in the US. Toyota doesn’t like making big changes that could have negative quality impacts - especially on flagship brands like Land Cruiser. So, with that said, I sort of understand their position. I Do hate that my wife’s new JL rubicon has a really amazing tech suite and my LC is from 2004. The sound that Apline put together for that new wrangler is impressive but the LC audio is better in my opinion. Anyhow, I too have been looking for an alternative to get CarPlay going in my LC - I cant stand the old Toyota Navigation.

I spoke with BeatSonic too. Same answer as other comments here. Way too low of volume for them to get a kit from their Korean supplier. Maybe if we actually did a poll and found out how many of us are willing. Toyota sells something like 3000 to 4000 LCs annually in the USA. If we did a poll and knew how many we could order - we might get a different response. (Or at least a price that would make sense for them to develop the kit.) It can be done - they just need to know it’s worth their effort.

Another option is: NaviPlus out of Australia. They have a kit for 2018+ capacitive screen, JBL equipped Cruisers. Their website indicates that all functionality is retained because they use aux in for audio. I think you have to choose between Bluetooth for phone calls via OEM system or use theirs with a separate microphone but they keep steering wheel controls and Climate because it’s all just switching video inputs on the screen.

It’s not cheap.There are some negative reviews of the company’s customer service but they have been responsive to my questions about function. More people post negative comments than do ever post positive ones. I suspect that people buy third party kits and expect perfection. They apparently don’t do refunds without a lot of hassle and charges for freight and so forth. I doubt they are the ones making it. Probably coming from a third party in Korea or somewhere in Asia that is reverse engineering the ability to insert video and use the touch screen.

Anyhow, has anyone had any experience with them or this system? Anyone want to be a Guinea pig? I’m considering it but I don’t want to own $800 worth of “Meh” either

I’d really love to know how many we’d sell. Maybe we can do a test system document it and then do a bulk order for reduced price?

Does anyone know how to do a poll on here? I’d like to know who would buy and what they would pay?

Neat comments! Thanks.

Like most, would like to have and would be interested in a dependable solution. ~$500 range?

For some interesting reading, look at some of the recent Apple Car play decisions by manufacturers, BMW’s very unpopular attempt to charge etc. there seems to be a more to the cost, compatibility etc.

Apple is constantly updating the system which can interact with the infotainment centers functionality due to uncertainty of how multiple systems behave together through changes.

Hello everyone. I’m a new LC owner. 2020 LC200 and for the most part, I love it. I knew it had old tech from the beginning. I didn’t buy it because of the touch screen. I have friends with Audi and Range Rovers and they are hands down advanced on the tech side. Their cars won’t be worth 40% of their value in 5 years and our LCs will... and they won’t even be mid- life yet. Full disclosure here, I’m bias because I worked at JBL as a resident audio engineer inside TMC in Japan for 4 years, 10 years at JBL’s parent company “Harman” which is now owned by Samsung. I left the company to do consulting and started a business quite a while ago. This forum’s comments and theories about the Toyota design decisions and motives are mostly spot on. It’s a low volume product here in the US. Toyota doesn’t like making big changes that could have negative quality impacts - especially on flagship brands like Land Cruiser. So, with that said, I sort of understand their position. I Do hate that my wife’s new JL rubicon has a really amazing tech suite and my LC is from 2004. The sound that Apline put together for that new wrangler is impressive but the LC audio is better in my opinion. Anyhow, I too have been looking for an alternative to get CarPlay going in my LC - I cant stand the old Toyota Navigation.

I spoke with BeatSonic too. Same answer as other comments here. Way too low of volume for them to get a kit from their Korean supplier. Maybe if we actually did a poll and found out how many of us are willing. Toyota sells something like 3000 to 4000 LCs annually in the USA. If we did a poll and knew how many we could order - we might get a different response. (Or at least a price that would make sense for them to develop the kit.) It can be done - they just need to know it’s worth their effort.

Another option is: NaviPlus out of Australia. They have a kit for 2018+ capacitive screen, JBL equipped Cruisers. Their website indicates that all functionality is retained because they use aux in for audio. I think you have to choose between Bluetooth for phone calls via OEM system or use theirs with a separate microphone but they keep steering wheel controls and Climate because it’s all just switching video inputs on the screen.

It’s not cheap.There are some negative reviews of the company’s customer service but they have been responsive to my questions about function. More people post negative comments than do ever post positive ones. I suspect that people buy third party kits and expect perfection. They apparently don’t do refunds without a lot of hassle and charges for freight and so forth. I doubt they are the ones making it. Probably coming from a third party in Korea or somewhere in Asia that is reverse engineering the ability to insert video and use the touch screen.

Anyhow, has anyone had any experience with them or this system? Anyone want to be a Guinea pig? I’m considering it but I don’t want to own $800 worth of “Meh” either

I’d really love to know how many we’d sell. Maybe we can do a test system document it and then do a bulk order for reduced price?

Does anyone know how to do a poll on here? I’d like to know who would buy and what they would pay?

Interested...any updates on this and how it might compare to the GROM VL2?

The Naviplus looks like the most theoretically compatible but the wireless CarPlay, at least on the 2017 version, seems like a goat-rope and not a smooth RELIABLE interface.

I would love love love to get CarPlay integrated, but definitely not at the expense of reliability or functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom