Cargo Net DIY Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CactusHopper

aka PapaCruiser
SILVER Star
Threads
First, apologies if this is obvious, but I've searched and read through threads trying to confirm. I've also read the Koan gear storage threads.

I want to do a cheap DIY cargo net / divider behind the 2nd row of a 2013 LX 570. Below are the tie-down hardware and net that I currently own.

Tie Downs
Cargo Net

Can I install the tie-downs behind the 2nd row or third-row grab handles and the 2nd-row seat belt mount? If so, is there anything special I need to be aware of (like bolts falling into the frame??? those stories make me stop and give up). I have also thought about clipping the bottom to the 2nd-row rear clip (where the seat grabs/clips into the frame), but it might be tight with the seat clipped in. I could also just take a velcro or tie to the grab handle and clip to that, but I'd prefer something more robust...?

I realize the net is probably not the strongest... maybe the mounting locations aren't the strongest either...? I will try avoiding anything heavy on the "upper half" of the cargo area and reserve that for loose / light cargo like clothes, bedding, etc. Just want something to aid packing up to the 2nd row and to prevent / reduce anything going into the cabin in an accident.

I'm aware of the metal options but am not a fan of the look and permanency given that it's probably overkill for my use.

Thanks for the input.

1696272770768.png

1696272798885.png

First, apologies if this is obvious, but I've searched and read through threads trying to confirm. I've also read the Koan gear storage threads.

I want to do a cheap DIY cargo net / divider behind the 2nd row of a 2013 LX 570. Below are the tie-down hardware and net that I currently own.

Tie Downs
Cargo Net

Can I install the tie-downs behind the 2nd row or third-row grab handles and the 2nd-row seat belt mount? If so, is there anything special I need to be aware of (like bolts falling into the frame??? those stories make me stop and give up). I have also thought about clipping the bottom to the 2nd-row rear clip (where the seat grabs/clips into the frame), but it might be tight with the seat clipped in. I could also just take a velcro or tie to the grab handle and clip to that, but I'd prefer something more robust...?

I realize the net is probably not the strongest... maybe the mounting locations aren't the strongest either...? I will try avoiding anything heavy on the "upper half" of the cargo area and reserve that for loose / light cargo like clothes, bedding, etc. Just want something to aid packing up to the 2nd row and to prevent / reduce anything going into the cabin in an accident.

I'm aware of the metal options but am not a fan of the look and permanency given that it's probably overkill for my use.

Thanks for the input.

View attachment 3445649

View attachment 3445650
I tried a stretchy cargo net and it was no good - too much flex, couldn't get it stiff enough to have held anything back, and in fact my dog (who is 80 lbs) was able to stretch his way through the mesh. Maybe one which has no elasticity would be better. (This is the one I bought - Amazon product ASIN B094CQ7SK1). BTW when used with some carabiners to take up the slack mine was actually usable to hold down bins of gear in the 2nd row seats. But not great for a divider between rows 2 and 3.

FYI it's not cheap (about $300 IIRC) but the Kaon 2nd row divider isn't permanent. I swapped the hex key bolts with plastic knobs and I can install/remove it in 2 minutes. I also have the shelf and 3rd row divider but you don't need those.

I bought this and it's perfect in my LX570. It currently shows unavailable on Amazon but you should be able to use the dimensions (36 x 26") to find a similar one. I store soft stuff up there that I don't want to get dirty or broken (pillows, kids blankets, stuffed animals) when we go camping. I actually really like it because it can be loosened in case I want to put bigger items (sleeping bag, mat, etc), and I can also remove it in about 5 minutes.

For reference, I initially bought a smaller version (32" x 22") and sent it back because it was too small.

1710192556523.png

I understand this is not the divider solution you're looking for...but I had to tell someone about this!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom