Carb rebuild for factory Aisin (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to rebuild the carburetor for my 1974 FJ40, and after searching this forum, FJ40Jim name came up numerous times. I found his profile, but was not able to send a message. I did find his aol email on a thread, but not sure if it is current. Does anyone know if he still offers this service?

If not, does anyone recommend a rebuild kit? I haven’t pulled the carb yet, but rockauto has two different kits offered by Standard. Cruiser Corps offer a Keyster kit, and the genuine Toyota looks to be discontinued.

The number stamped on the carb states “OD 27”, which a few threads stated that should be April 27th 1970 build?

6074E74E-8786-41D2-8E96-0CC341849AF7.jpeg

D91F0CD7-8854-4216-8DEA-872A4D0F2AAD.jpeg

9188F8C6-326A-482B-B9A6-2DCDB88A980D.jpeg

06921E67-2EF8-4015-A86A-406CD221745A.jpeg

EA5B6302-E1D8-45F8-B14A-A246D965D6CE.jpeg

36BD45C6-F011-4192-8D4E-2A253407BB1F.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure about Jim. But you can tag him here to see if he responds. @FJ40Jim

@Pin_Head has great YouTube rebuild videos to follow on Aisin Carb rebuilds. I highly recommend that you watch these. Then you can rebuild it yourself.

Everyone has a preference for carb kits. Personally, I do not like Keyster. Others swear by them. I’d go with the Standard on Rockauto. Just make sure you get the correct one.

Looking to rebuild the carburetor for my 1974 FJ40, and after searching this forum, FJ40Jim name came up numerous times. I found his profile, but was not able to send a message. I did find his aol email on a thread, but not sure if it is current. Does anyone know if he still offers this service?

If not, does anyone recommend a rebuild kit? I haven’t pulled the carb yet, but rockauto has two different kits offered by Standard. Cruiser Corps offer a Keyster kit, and the genuine Toyota looks to be discontinued.

The number stamped on the carb states “OD 27”, which a few threads stated that should be April 27th 1970 build?

View attachment 2873294

View attachment 2873295

View attachment 2873296

View attachment 2873297

View attachment 2873298

View attachment 2873299
If you need some help with obtaining the correct rebuild kit, @cruiseroutfit can help you out. -> Click Here <- or -> Here <-

I'd suggest doing it yourself, review the Pinhead video's and there is plenty of help here.

Looks like you have a 1970 air horn and fuel bowl. The vac fitting on the fuel bowl indicates you have a late 69-70. Looks like your PO did swap in the 74 fuel return fitting. They may have also kept the 74 throttle body or they swapped in the linkage style accelerator stuff. Here's a quote from Mark's Offroad on a 1970 vac fitting. He also specializes in Aisan rebuilds. You have call his shop in Burbank and leave a message.
If you lack a 10mm port on the topside of the intake, the booster line is next best. That said, the 10/69-9/70 carbs offered a manifold vacuum port in the fuel bowl of the carb. It utilizes the hollow screw that comes up through the throttle body to secure the fuel bowl. Some people would argue that it is not true manifold vacuum at that point, but I consider it good enough for all my needs.

Best

Mark

www.marksoffroad.net

If you rebuild it yourself and the kit comes with a rubber accelerator pump plunger, you can re-use your leather plunger (if yours has one). Soak the leather in oil ahead of time to soften it up before reinstalling.

If you need some help with obtaining the correct rebuild kit, @cruiseroutfit can help you out. -> Click Here <- or -> Here <-

I'd suggest doing it yourself, review the Pinhead video's and there is plenty of help here.
This is the route I went with the carb on my CA 6/77 FJ-40. I feel it's good to rebuild your carb once, there's a lot to learn and it's pretty (frustrating) rewarding to bolt it back up and get it tuned.

As you're finding, lots of good help here.

GA Arc is correct--rebuild yourself-and use pinhead's video series-you will forever know how your carb works--AND if something goes South in the future, you will have the expertise to narrow the problem down--

Just seeing this. Definitely a composite carb. WAG it was replaced because someone before you over tightened the fuel return banjo bolt and stretched/stripped the air horn. Seen dozens of those over the years. Poor design.

Someone replaced the solenoid too.

Good luck with the rebuild.

If you can get hold of FJ40 Jim, ask him if he still has rebuild kits for sale. At least 10 or 15 years ago I got a kit for my '76 Cruiser's Aisin carb from him. It was a few bucks more than others but contained parts that weren't included in the other kits. It's been too long ago for me to remember the details.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom