Carb questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a stock, smogged CA 1980 FJ40 that has been giving off a raw fuel smell. My mechanic has suggested that I convert to a Weber. He doesn't really have the time or interest in rebuilding the carb it seems. He said I could look for other options and for the best price on a Weber set up.
So my question is, Convert to a Weber, if I do this what should I get? And is it possible to keep the stock air filter? Mechanic said this is what we want to do. And I like the manual choke. Can this be retained with a Weber carb? Or do I purchase a cheap temporary aftermarket carb and have my original rebuilt and reinstalled at a later date?

Any and all help would be appriciated

If you didn't live in Cali you could give ebay #262479633990 some consideration????

Plenty of threads on this. Boiling it down, in CA, '76 and later, you must keep the stock carb for smog compliance. Stock carb is better than the Weber. After 35 years, needs rebuilt. Weber will not fit stock Air Cleaner.

Guru Land Cruiser Carburetor rebuilders:

www.marksoffroad.net in Burbank, CA 65swb45 name on MUD

www.TLCperformance.com in Lancaster, OH FJ40Jim name on MUD

Last edited:
:doh:

I know that, too.

Fixed.

you didn't say where in CA you are located, you most likely need a mechanic who knows these vehicles. there are several guys in CA to choose from.

Are you sure that the fuel smell is coming from the carb? If there are no visible leaks and the truck is running good it might not be fuming comes from the carb.

The vapor recovery system(s), a bad fuel pump, fuel tank venting, any fuel leak anywhere, even an incorrect gas cap can make for fuel smells.

Nail it down before condemning that poor carburetor......and find a different mechanic or better yet learn to be your own mechanic or at least your own diagnostician so you can tell a mechanic what you want done.

Honk is right. In this plug-it-in-the-black-box fool infected world, there are far too many mechanics pointing fingers at carbs prematurely.

I'm not gonna second- guess your mechanic without more info, but it's more than a coincidence that installing a Weber will require a desmog, whereby the mechanic will get paid to simply remove many of the things @honk is suggesting should be tested first. Considering how easy it is to botch a desmog on a '79, I would strongly second getting a second opinion first.

Mark

Last edited:
Taking @honk 's point one step further, pull the dipstick and smell it. If you smell gas, change the pump...before you burn up your bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom