Car won't star-I'm stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have had zero problems with this car during the 4 months I have owned it. I drive it nearly every day. I stopped by a bike shop today and was onside for maybe 20 mins. Come out and the LC won't start. The starter runs and runs, but won't turn over. The shop owner comes out to check on things and says his 96 4runner does something similar but eventually starts. I decide to leave the hood up and walk down to another shop and I'm gone for maybe anothe 20 mins. I come back and it starts right up with no issues and runs normal. I have to make one more stop for baby formula and I hambled wrong. I've been sitting trying to get it to start for over an hour and the starter just spins and spins. I have no tools with me and I'm pissed. Tow will be here in over an hour so I have time to post. For those that have had this same problem can you tell me what you checked and what you found to be the issue?

Thanks,

Chris- in a Publix parking lot with rotting ground beef and baby formula

Obviously, check your battery cables and make sure there isn't a loose connection.

With the starter cranking continuously, I doubt it is your starter contacts...but if it is, you can get it to start while banging on the starter with a hammer while you crank.

If neither of these, you may have a fuel delivery problem or other.

I'm sure some of the vets will chime in.

Good luck.

Underneath the drivers seat is your security system ecu module that controls the remote keyless entry and your alarm. The wire that plugs into it had a loose connection on mine and if the module isnt giving a signal the engine will not crank. However, it will turn over and over and over. But its probably your fuel pump trying to tell you something.

Between spark, fuel, and air, I'd start with fuel delivery based on your description.

Is the starter engaging, or just spinning freely?

The car was towed home and the damn thing started right up in the garage- which leads me to believe thereb is a fuel issue. Can this be debris in the tank that is disrupting fuel flow and was dislodged when it was towed?
The entire car "sways" or rocks like normal when you try to start it. I'm guessing that is the torque from the starter trying to turn the flywheel???

I am stumped!

The starter runs and runs, but won't turn over.

I would think that's 100% started. Your hearing the started turn but the motor isn't turning. I would suspect the bendix in the starter is not engaging.

updates?

Update-

I put in a spare starter I bought a couple of months ago. Took me about 45 mins this morning and i was pleased with that. It started right up and I thought that was it. I just drove it down the street get gas and noticed that it was running a little different. The idle was just under 500 and it seemed sluggish. I filled it up and it wouldn't start. I popped the hood and looked around. The electrical connection for the distributor is cracked, but it still makes plenty of contact, I can't imagine that's it- at least not this problem. I checked the throttle cable and it is in tack and not much slack.

I wasn't about to have this thing towed again and I need to get places today. I wedged a drink bottle in between the intake manifold and the throttle connection to open up the throttle. I turned the key and it fired up. I turned it off, removed the bottle and tried it again- nothing. Put the bottle back and turned the key-nothing. Tried again and it started right up. I just got home and now I'm looking for new suggestions. To me it sounds like fuel related issues.

What do you guys suggest? By the way- this is a 1994.

Thanks

Since yours is a '94, it's most likely the EFI relay under the hood, IIRC (as also suggested by post #12 above).

Update-

I put in a spare starter I bought a couple of months ago. Took me about 45 mins this morning and i was pleased with that. It started right up and I thought that was it. I just drove it down the street get gas and noticed that it was running a little different. The idle was just under 500 and it seemed sluggish. I filled it up and it wouldn't start. I popped the hood and looked around. The electrical connection for the distributor is cracked, but it still makes plenty of contact, I can't imagine that's it- at least not this problem. I checked the throttle cable and it is in tack and not much slack.

I wasn't about to have this thing towed again and I need to get places today. I wedged a drink bottle in between the intake manifold and the throttle connection to open up the throttle. I turned the key and it fired up. I turned it off, removed the bottle and tried it again- nothing. Put the bottle back and turned the key-nothing. Tried again and it started right up. I just got home and now I'm looking for new suggestions. To me it sounds like fuel related issues.

What do you guys suggest? By the way- this is a 1994.

Thanks

The low idle is normal if you unhooked the battery while you replaced the starter, it's the ECU resetting itself.
Are you sure its not the distributor issue that's causing the starting problem?

Is there a way to test the relay? If I replace it the only way to know if it was or was not the issue is if the car doesn't start after driving it.

I suppose you could put a finger on it and have someone turn the key to 'On' position to hear or feel if the relay clicks in *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom