Can't shift from Park, No blinkers, no power windows - Brake Lights/Fuses okay (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I replaced my ignition (got the sweet OEM because they smell better), but it still doesn't want to shift from park, and a good bit of things don't work (blinkers, windows, battery/tach gauge, interior AC fan). Some stuff still works (radio, headlights, antenna, power mirrors, locks).

I've searched the forum and the suggestions (for being stuck in park) seem to be either the brake lights, the brake light fuse, or rear trailer wiring. Well my brake lights work and almost everyone who discovered it was their rear wiring had recently messed with trailer wiring/relocating the tail pipe, etc.

I'm not sure what to look at; I've looked at the wiring around the dash to see if maybe I unplugged something while I was replacing the ignition cylinder, but everything looks okay and doesn't pull on any of the wire bundles going to/from the fuse box.

Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks for any help!

This happens right after ignition? Like hasn’t worked properly since?

As always check fusible links. Could have shorted something while working on ignition. Next logical is one wire from on of the plugs was tugged out cut broken type thing.

This happens right after ignition? Like hasn’t worked properly since?

Yes. I'm almost positive it has to be something I did while fiddling around in there, but I'm not sure where to begin.

As always check fusible links. Could have shorted something while working on ignition. Next logical is one wire from on of the plugs was tugged out cut broken type thing.

Well, it looks like I found where to begin!

Is there a wiring diagram out there for an HDJ81 so I can find the relevant fusible links? I only see one behind the fuse box...

I'm not clear here .. you mention HDJ81 ( 1HD-T ) combined with ignition wires replaced .?

are we talking the ignition key cylinder ..? ( dash )

I'm not clear here .. you mention HDJ81 ( 1HD-T ) combined with ignition wires replaced .?

are we talking the ignition key cylinder ..? ( dash )
Yes, sorry, ignition cylinder.

Don't have a wiring diagram but sounds like your truck isn't getting the feed from the ign cylinder when in the run position. Does the truck stay running after you start it? My bet is there is some wire off the run position of the cylinder that isn't hooked up.

Just verified with my 80 that the truck must be in the run position and the brake must be pressed to get out of park. If brakes look good I'd move to the run position wiring of the cylinder especially since that is new.

Just verified with my 80 that the truck must be in the run position and the brake must be pressed to get out of park. If brakes look good I'd move to the run position wiring of the cylinder especially since that is new.

I think you two are in the right track; it makes sense if those wires got loose from drilling out the old cylinder. I'm not sure why that would affect the windows, but it certainly covers a lot of it (and it's right where I was working).

I see the fusible links and will see about replacing those as well (maybe that's why the windows don't work?). Is there a way to see if they're bad? Is it obvious? Can I hot wire it to test it? If so, is there a preferred method (paperclips, lol)?

A lot of questions I know, but thanks for helping me narrow this down fellas.

Think of it this way, if your truck doesn't know it is in the run position, the windows won't work. It's the same as sitting in the truck with the keys out of the ignition. I'd check the wiring coming off of the run position of the ignition to make sure it sees 12 volts.

Okay, so tomorrow I'm going to find these wires and see if they've got 12V. I'll report back on what I find.

Thanks again.

Screenshot_20190819_225724.jpg

Could be the b-r wire above it as well. Hard to tell from Tha diagram which wire feeds those systems, but if you follow the windows and anything else not working back to the ignition you'll know.

Whelp, I'm a big dufus.

When I installed the new ignition cylinder, I must have installed it a little off-kilter. I only noticed this when I put in the key, but part of the dash was in the way, so I couldn't turn it the whole way (between ACC and ON). Then everything came on. I'm going to realign it when I get home and everything should be gravy.

Wow. Thanks for the help everyone. Sometimes I think it's something serious, when it's really a simple mistake that's easily corrected.

Whelp, I'm a big dufus.

When I installed the new ignition cylinder, I must have installed it a little off-kilter. I only noticed this when I put in the key, but part of the dash was in the way, so I couldn't turn it the whole way (between ACC and ON). Then everything came on. I'm going to realign it when I get home and everything should be gravy.

Wow. Thanks for the help everyone. Sometimes I think it's something serious, when it's really a simple mistake that's easily corrected.

Yes simple things happen when rushed to repair

When something is wrong go back tothe last thing you fixed.
Something to that effect anyways from
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom