No Check Engine Light (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I just recently got an 94 Landcruiser OBD1. I am new to LC, I traded my 1st gen Tacoma for it. With that being said, when I smogged it, the tech said that the check engine light is ‘disconnected’ and no vacuum in EGR. He was nice enough to not to continue with the smog. Now, I’m stuck with something that is questionable kind of regretting trading my Tacoma. I’m in California so smog is so strict. I can find someone to pass it but I want to fix the issue.

When I turn the ignition to on position, no CEL on sight.

The LC is running perfect. It sounds good, it runs good. I just want to fix the CEL for future issue.

Does anyone know what is the caused of this?

The EGR system in your vehicle is 30 years old. It isn't unexpected for a component like that to fail. Don't regret getting an 80 series if you are willing to work on it. I am guessing that you are fine doing some work if you owned a 1st gen tacoma. Download the factory service manual (FSM) here under the resources tab at the top of the page. It will walk you through the diagnostics and how the system works. There is some good reading on mud too. The search feature on mud is hit or miss. Use google search with something like "EGR ih8mud 80 series" and you'll likely have better luck with the search.

The EGR system in your vehicle is 30 years old. It isn't unexpected for a component like that to fail. Don't regret getting an 80 series if you are willing to work on it. I am guessing that you are fine doing some work if you owned a 1st gen tacoma. Download the factory service manual (FSM) here under the resources tab at the top of the page. It will walk you through the diagnostics and how the system works. There is some good reading on mud too. The search feature on mud is hit or miss. Use google search with something like "EGR ih8mud 80 series" and you'll likely have better luck with the sea

The EGR system in your vehicle is 30 years old. It isn't unexpected for a component like that to fail. Don't regret getting an 80 series if you are willing to work on it. I am guessing that you are fine doing some work if you owned a 1st gen tacoma. Download the factory service manual (FSM) here under the resources tab at the top of the page. It will walk you through the diagnostics and how the system works. There is some good reading on mud too. The search feature on mud is hit or miss. Use google search with something like "EGR ih8mud 80 series" and you'll likely have better luck with the search.
Understandable.

Thank you for uplifting me. Lol yea I only know basic mechanics but I’ll for sure do research. Thank you for the warm welcome! This 80 series is older than me. 😂

Keep your chin up and don't get down over something that is an easy fix.

As far as reputable mechanics, I know of Valley Hybrids which is up north but they might be able to put you in contact with someone down south.

When I first bought my 80, I had an EGR code pop up about a year after I bought it with a smog check coming up. I had basic mechanical knowledge (righty tighty, lefty loosey) and very few tools. I didn't have time to learn the diagnostics side of the EGR (or so I thought at the time) and wouldn't have trusted myself to be certain I was diagnosing it correctly but was willing to change out parts. I just bough the gaskets, egr, vsv for egr (there is a differnt vsv as well that is not for egr so don't get confused) and vacuum hoses, pcv valve/hoses, fuel filter etc and took the intake manifold off and replaced the parts figuring it would be cheaper and faster than having a mechanic do the work. I took out the fuel injectors and had them cleaned as well since I was there. I could have potentially saved money in parts by finding out what was causing the P0401 (EGR code) but it was my daily driver and didn't want to have to tear into it again if another component failed due to age. After buttoning it back up and a couple of tense seconds of cranking and no engine turn over (waiting for fuel to get to the engine) and then hearing it roar to life was a great feeling. It has been fine ever since and that was over 10 years ago. You can do this.

If I was to do it again, I would probably do the diagnostic side of it to develop more skill in that department but still might replace any old components that are hard to get to like the fuel filter and maybe the vsv for egr since it is tucked under the intake manifold.

Here is a thread with a write up on replacing the parts and some links to other threads in there as well.

Here is a thread with some helpful information on the diagnostics side and understanding how the EGR system works.

You could get this install it and fix the rest of your issues.

This will make the ECU think the EGR system is in spec. I live in AZ and run one in my 80, and I was not having issues with the EGR yet replaced it more of a preventative measure.

EGR Temp Sensor

You could get this install it and fix the rest of your issues.

This will make the ECU think the EGR system is in spec. I live in AZ and run one in my 80, and I was not having issues with the EGR yet replaced it more of a preventative measure.

EGR Temp Sensor
Not in CA, he can't.

Now, I’m stuck with something that is questionable kind of regretting trading my Tacoma. I’m in California so smog is so strict

You cannot sell a vehicle in California that doesn't pass the smog test without signing something that explicitly states that it's non-operational.

Additionally, buying a 30 year old vehicle when you don't have mechanical skills is foolish.

You've been scammed. Use the law to your benefit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom