Can't live without Camp items! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are some camping items that you absolutely need when you guys are out camping? Looking for some stuff to update my camping gear and round out my setup! Anything you guys got I would love to see.

Eastern kille rye whiskey.

Other than that this year i added sand stakes, an outdoor mat, and a small fold up table. The mat is by far the biggest quality of life improvement.

Keeping it simple…I’ve been eyeing the Snow Peak IGT table and flat stove.

It allows you to sit down on you favorite low chair and cook while sitting down.

Snow Peak has a whole system, but I’m warming up to the Snow Peak IGT starter kit.

IMG_8834.jpeg

Keeping it simple…I’ve been eyeing the Snow Peak IGT table and flat stove.

It allows you to sit down on you favorite low chair and cook while sitting down.

Snow Peak has a whole system, but I’m warming up to the Snow Peak IGT starter kit.

View attachment 3570492
Yea you can go to Walmart and get a plastic folding table about that size for like 50 bucks. Legs adjust height wise too. That’s stupid money for a camping table

I go old school on the table and stove :). I've had this one since 2011 and expect to still be using it in 2031 and maybe even 2041 when I retire. It is, however, kind of bulky. I wish they still made the single-burner white gas stoves that are much easier to pack. My dad had one from the early 90s and it seems to have been lost somewhere - I might have to pick up a replacement on eBay. As a backpacker/cycle tourist I honestly really like the flexibility/reliability of white gas over propane, but I'm very much in the minority.
20211002_104138.jpg

Other must-haves are Crocs (camp shoes), Therma-Rest neo air, and Cocoon inflatable pillow. I also pulled the trigger on rechargeable pump for the Therm-a-rest that's been pretty awesome and drastically easier than using the bag. All of my stuff is lightweight as it's backpacking/bike touring gear I just use for camping in my rig (and as a result it saves a ton of space).
20230915_194505.jpg

Yea you can go to Walmart and get a plastic folding table about that size for like 50 bucks. Legs adjust height wise too. That’s stupid money for a camping table
Yeah…the price for the snowpeak entry IGT (which includes the flat burner) is what keeping me from buying.

I just like the fact that there’s a ton of accessories that fit into that table.

I already use a 24x48 folding table that sits like 18” from the ground (height adjustable) as my cooking station, but the stove doesn’t insert into the table for more stability and to be even with the table.

Anyways…I agree the price is what keeping me from buying it, but I love that concept of inserting a stove, dish washing tray, utensils rack, etc.

IMG_8835.jpeg

IMG_7341.jpeg

Last edited:
I go old school on the table and stove :). I've had this one since 2011 and expect to still be using it in 2031 and maybe even 2041 when I retire. It is, however, kind of bulky. I wish they still made the single-burner white gas stoves that are much easier to pack. My dad had one from the early 90s and it seems to have been lost somewhere - I might have to pick up a replacement on eBay. As a backpacker/cycle tourist I honestly really like the flexibility/reliability of white gas over propane, but I'm very much in the minority.
View attachment 3570626

Other must-haves are Crocs (camp shoes), Therma-Rest neo air, and Cocoon inflatable pillow. I also pulled the trigger on rechargeable pump for the Therm-a-rest that's been pretty awesome and drastically easier than using the bag. All of my stuff is lightweight as it's backpacking/bike touring gear I just use for camping in my rig (and as a result it saves a ton of space).
View attachment 3570629
I love the lightweight backpacking gear.

When I was a scoutmaster for my sons Boy Scouts troop back in the day, I purchased a lot of lightweight backpacking gear for our long term backpacking trip into mountains behind mammoth lakes.

I could fit all my lightweight backpacking gear in a single large backpack and that included my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, stove, pots and pans (tiny), water filter, etc. everything to survive a week in the mountains!

View attachment 3570626

View attachment 3570629

Ironically I switched to the Coleman propane propane stove in 2011 from the pictures I just looked at and the date stamps. I camp mainly in the Fall and the cold doesn't work so well with 1 pound canisters so had to buy some refillable small propane tanks with adaptors. Still have my white gas double burner in the shed I've had since the 70's, haven't used it since going propane. For both the stove and white gas mantle lantern. I always carry an extra generator tube in it with wax dropped on both ends to prevent insects from crawling in and blocking it. Pretty sure the cork gasket needs replaced by now haven't oiled it since going propane.

Also have a single burner Coleman from the early 90's. It is in the container with my lightweight tent marked 6.1 pounds hey that was state of the art back then. Haven't used either in a very long time. Double burner is where it is at for me with coffee on one side and proteins on the other burner.

Have a triple burner propane Cabela's Guide Stove for larger groups both camping and get togethers at shoots.

14436351614_e28e768217_b.jpg

The high wall cast iron griddle is a beast at ~50 pounds but once it is hot it keeps on going.

I always take cast iron to cook on. Friend of mine that I hunt and shoot with does as well. He carries a chicken fryer in his drawer system in his FJ all year.

49125669202_9f010b3d96_b.jpg

Conversely I carry a chicken fryer lid all year. Camping or cabin and it takes up less space than a high wall chicken fryer. Makes a bit of a mess because I always cook with bacon fat so get splatter. Including grouse on Thanksgiving day. Only bird seen all day but it ended up in the right place for my Thanksgiving meal. In the pan with bacon grease coated with Shore Lunch batter.

23334079786_871b2b2e2e_b.jpg

For couple of decades been using a Lifetime 4' table that folds to 2' x 2' with adjustable legs

37441999160_574a18f2f9_b.jpg

The Weber usually goes everywhere with me. Because steak.

37029155653_516c3112a3_b.jpg

Last summer started rebuilding my Weber gasser on the deck. For a stop gap bought a Napoleon portable grill, thought was to use it for camping and day stops while hunting. Ended up buying a GCI table for it and like it a lot, is highly ranked for a reason.

Between the zero gravity chair and the table they are why I am building a double platform in the 3rd row seating area instead of drawers. And dog crates on top.

I always carry Mountain Money (TP) in the truck and paper towels. Also several headlamps and extra batteries year around. First thing I pack is a small container of bacon grease.

Hunting Canada this year with the Admiral and the Captain and myself we all 3 showed up with plastic containers marked kitchen boxes. Between us we are all a couple of years either side of 70. We all started camping more than half a Century ago and our items were almost identical in our kitchen boxes.

ziplock bag with disposable gloves
spatula
tongs
heat resistant glove and hotpad
dish cloth
dish towel
small Salt and Pepper grinders
spices based on what plan on cooking
small cutting board
Chefs knife with blade guard
meat thermometer
small bottle of dawn dish soap
paper towels
disinfectant wipes
silverware
Being older we all still carry a pocket knife which gets used camping or at a cabin. Or in the field.

Can't live without - always in my rig:
  1. Ozark Trail - shovel and toilet. Nothing worse than driving a trail and not being prepared when the time comes - period.
  2. Hammock, tree slings, tarp, inflatable/insulated sleeping pad - my "go to" sleeping arrangement, just need to remember to bring my 0-degree bag and I'm ready to sleep like a baby in any forest.
  3. Jet Boil + dehydrated meals + basic cutlery - just add water, cook and enjoy. Not the healthiest but easy to keep stowed and always easy to quickly fire up and feed the crew.
  4. Misc. - various cutting implements, headlamps + batteries, bluetooth speaker, fire starting options, first aid kit.
  5. Fun - zip chip(s) - original is pricy for what it is, you can find knockoffs but if you've never heard of it, just trust me. Camp just got way better.
  6. EDIT!!! Solar camp lights - how did I forget this??? Can't remember the name of the original maker of this style of light (those are knockoffs) but I've got three of the originals in my truck and still working just fine after 10+ years. I cut away the inflatable part eons ago - always charged and ready to go. LOVE THESE!
I'm sure there's more, that's just what came to mind. Wanted to add to the thread - these are always good topics.

Cheers!

Last edited:
  1. EDIT!!! Solar camp lights - how did I forget this??? Can't remember the name of the original maker of this style of light (those are knockoffs) but I've got three of the originals in my truck and still working just fine after 10+ years. I cut away the inflatable part eons ago - always charged and ready to go. LOVE THESE!
I'm sure there's more, that's just what came to mind. Wanted to add to the thread - these are always good topics.

Cheers!

Luci is the original. I have at least 4 of them LOL.

As long as talking crappers when setting up for a week or so in the Fall have a seperate shower\crapper tent. With a little buddy propane heater to warm things up in the morning for it.

26426556085_25a72c376d_c.jpg

The coolers are to prevent food from freezing not keeping them cold.

Kind of a sad day today had "Dirty Deeds Done Cheap" come haul some stuff to the dump for me. Including the wood stove for the tent

26360377361_c47577e88b_c.jpg

Gutted a ventilator and put it inline to the stovepipe as an additional heat exchanger. Snow stays under the stove for a day or 2, because well heat rises. Anyone that gets up in the night to pee is expected to put a log in the stove.

Stove was starting to rust after 20 years and figure at my age I'm not going to use it in the winter anymore, that chapter in my life has passed.

Giving the tent away to a friend of mine that will use it for fishing in Wi. and Canada, he is 72. It smells like wood smoke of course but is OK with that. He wore 2 stars on his shoulder boards before he retired from the Navy.

I have set it up many times by myself running solo except for the dog. Rainy days, no problem lots of room.

16240596952_8dc8eb3337_b.jpg

That smile says it all ... great setup, great pic!

Which dropdown table did you go with? Bison Gear?
Drop down table is Bison Gear. That drop down table is great for quick lunch/coffee stops.

My basic simple ( lol ) cmaping setup....
Ez-Up 10x10
Kelty Basecamp Table for the Camp Chief Stove w/ 10lb propane bottle
4' Lifetime folding table w/ fitted table cloth
Husky weather proof storage boxes
Yeti 45 cooler
5gal water w/ battery powered pump
folding table and chairs

Gazelle T4
either a queen size mattress w sheets or a Teton XXL cot with Klymet XXL air matress w/ sheets
Jakery 280 power pack
Mr Buddy heater for the cold nights in the tent
Solo Stove Ranger for all the nights
Battery powered fan for the hot nights

1710122891170.png

1710122778126.png
1710122841553.png

1710123136991.png
1710123319946.png

Yeah…the price for the snowpeak entry IGT (which includes the flat burner) is what keeping me from buying.

I just like the fact that there’s a ton of accessories that fit into that table.

I already use a 24x48 folding table that sits like 18” from the ground (height adjustable) as my cooking station, but the stove doesn’t insert into the table for more stability and to be even with the table.

Anyways…I agree the price is what keeping me from buying it, but I love that concept of inserting a stove, dish washing tray, utensils rack, etc.

View attachment 3570669

View attachment 3570670
Looks like you are having a great time! Looks like im gonna need to bring a good bottle of bourbon when I head out!

Can't live without - always in my rig:
  1. Ozark Trail - shovel and toilet. Nothing worse than driving a trail and not being prepared when the time comes - period.
  2. Hammock, tree slings, tarp, inflatable/insulated sleeping pad - my "go to" sleeping arrangement, just need to remember to bring my 0-degree bag and I'm ready to sleep like a baby in any forest.
  3. Jet Boil + dehydrated meals + basic cutlery - just add water, cook and enjoy. Not the healthiest but easy to keep stowed and always easy to quickly fire up and feed the crew.
  4. Misc. - various cutting implements, headlamps + batteries, bluetooth speaker, fire starting options, first aid kit.
  5. Fun - zip chip(s) - original is pricy for what it is, you can find knockoffs but if you've never heard of it, just trust me. Camp just got way better.
  6. EDIT!!! Solar camp lights - how did I forget this??? Can't remember the name of the original maker of this style of light (those are knockoffs) but I've got three of the originals in my truck and still working just fine after 10+ years. I cut away the inflatable part eons ago - always charged and ready to go. LOVE THESE!

Cheers!
All great items! I can't tell you how long I went without an actual toilet (packing it out was awful) but since getting a cheap little toilet, its been great! The other stuff on there is all great as well! Looking good man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom