Can't get the PCV grommet out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey folks
I'm trying to replace the PCV grommet but can't get it out.
I tried different methods/tools but it started to break into pieces and I stopped right there.
Is there a special tool or technique to get it out without breaking it?

Thanks in advance.

Over time they can get very hard and brittle. Heat (as ^^ said) will help, if not to far gone.

I try to cut & break some of inside/underside. Once I do, I can usually get the remaining grommet, in one piece. Sliding a smooth probe under the top of underside after breakaway some of top, can be helpful.

Pieces that fall into head if any, will often be sitting ~5 '' down the hole. I use a forceps or long needle nose to retrieve. If some does fall into large oil drain ports of head, it will end up in bottom of crank case eventually. Some will flush, some may get into oil pickup screen and some into filter. But it is unlikely to hurt anything!

Last edited:
If you mess it up and it breaks and falls into the valve cover, the bits will be stuck in the upper galley of the valve cover. If bits fell in, you will need to pull off the valve cover and clean the bits out.

I had bits fall in valve cover about ten years ago IIRC. Still cruising. Will be replacing again tomorrow, past due.

Thanks guys.
It's actually not brittle, but too soft.
I'll try again this weekend with a warm engine

On my 1998 I cut the grommet so I could pull it out by grabbing one of the cut ends with a needle nose pliers. Used a roofing knife to cut the part of the grommet inside the valve cover.

D9E60001-DF43-4808-AA7D-E9A5B1A21065.jpeg

Dealing with fishing out my grommet right now... thank you @2001LC for the prior words of reassurance about the small crumbles i know have gotten past my ability to pick out. (There are more peices in the trash)

IMG_20190529_160205.jpg

Last edited:
Bottom half of the grommet fell in. How serious is it @2001LC?

Also, has anyone removed the filler neck to gain better access? Looks like that would be more than enough to pull this chunk with needle pliers.

Last edited:
Bottom half of the grommet fell in. How serious is it @2001LC?

Also, has anyone removed the filler neck to gain better access? Looks like that would be more than enough to pull this chunk with needle pliers.
Probably not serious. I say probably, because it all depends and where it settles. If it somehow blocks oil flow, that's not good. But it will likely settle harmless in head or in the oil pan.

But: If you look into port in fell in. You'll likely see the piece(s). Forceps work well to pick out.

Yes, nearly extracted the piece twice with a flexible grip. After the second attempt, I could not see the piece anywhere and looked for 15 minutes. I thought the second attempt failed but it may have come out and fallen into the engine bay.

For anyone else who is about to do an extraction, I recommend removing the oil cap and flashing your light down the fill tube. The angle is much better. You can also extract out through the tube as well (which is what I should have done on the first attempt). Even a hard grommet will easily fit through the inner diameter of the tube.

If you’re planning to replace the grommet, make sure to add this to your tool collection (flexible retriever).

A86FB0D5-ECE6-404C-B2C0-B5A778B80A02.jpeg

Last edited:
What part are you guys calling the grommet? I bought items 12261A, 12261, 12254, and 12204. 12204 is the actual PCV valve. Is there a matching part inside the valve cover? My PCV valve is stuck hard as hell. I put a 12" adjustable wrench on it today and couldn't get it to budge. I'm worried I'm going to snap it if I keep it up.

PCV.PNG

The part we are talking about is the rubber grommet on the early 100s. It gets very hard and brittle and pieces can break off during removal.

Try driving the 100 around to warm it up. Should get easier to remove.

What are you calling the "early 100s"? 98-02? My truck is an 03 with a production date of 06/03.

See kit from @NLXTACY (Wits End). If your cruiser uses the pull out rather than twist out (has a nut) PCV, this is what you need.

FLAG: Toyota lists the pull out grommet on build date 1998-mid 2002. Check before you order. The dates below are probably wrong.

F6CE31A4-6873-4AF8-80B6-E8EDDCD0498B.jpeg

Last edited:
That's not consistent with the the searches I do with my VIN on the parts.lexus website.

a_20150820_1222433546.jpg

It should be pretty obvious which one you have if you’ve been under the hood. Compare the pictures.

It is. And it's threaded, with the smaller diameter hose, bigger foam elbow cover. I guess I'll just PB blast the s*** out of it and get a bigger wrench.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom