TLCA CANCELLED! 2020 Rubithon Thursday Morning Breakfast Run. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the the official 2020 Rubithon Thursday Breakfast Morning thread.

I am looking forward to meeting you all on this years trip. My name is Doug, I will be leading the run this year with my co-driver Dominik aged 15 and my 4 year old daughter( and three year Rubithon Veteran) Isabella.
I have driven this trail a bunch of times in a both a mini truck and in my 80 series. The 80 I will be driving is setup in a pretty typical fashion with 3" of lift, 35" tires, 4.88 difs., front and rear lockers, all the requisite armor, dents, winch, snorkel, fridge, tools.

This will be a traditional Loon entrance to the main Rubicon Trail. This unique run has a pre-paid private breakfast at the Ice House Resort before we start the trail. The breakfast is scheduled to start at 0800. We ask that we all get there early as in 0700 so that we can do the the tech inspections and insurance paperwork early and be able to hit the road right after breakfast. If you are not at Ice House by the time breakfast is finished we will be moving on. If you are not at Loon Lake by 0900 we will be moving on. If you arrive late and feel comfortable on the trail by yourself feel free to hit the trail and catch up.

There are a few "motel room" cabins at the resort, some RV spots and a tent camping area. The rooms are way rustic but "OK".

I usually fuel up at fresh pond before the turnoff to ice house road. Topping off at ice house is not a bad idea (be prepared to spend $10 a gallon). I will pack a Jerry can just in case, though after topping off at Ice House and driving straight through and exiting at Tahoma I have never needed to dip into a Jerry can.

Our first day's destination will be Buck Island Lake were we will camp. On group runs like this we will be taking the easier lines and getting everyone there safely. I will do everything that I can to get us there early enough to have some down time and a swim before dark. With a sizeable group it is important to keep things moving and stay in our rigs for short stops. a prepacked lunch is a great idea.
Friday we will continue on to Rubicon Springs where folks will typically scatter and find a camp spot. At that point the official word is that the group run is complete and we are all on our own for camping. Groups often stay together to camp and some of us will do that but it is not required.
Sunday everyone mostly exits up Cadillac Hill, there is a local 4x4 club that provides assistance.

The Rubithon signup page will list mandatory safety and recovery gear that you will need, as well as equipment requirements. If you're running the minimum of 33's and a 2.5" lift, You should have serious armor and a strong passenger to stack rocks.
Make sure a heavy strap (no hooks on the end) and a fire extinguisher are readily accessible. I like the strap on the passenger floor board so I'm not hunting for it or dealing with a swing out bumper while in a precarious situation.
I will walk around camp and offer a wrench so that everyone can check their knuckle studs before during and after each day on the trail. If you are driving an 80, I do have some tips for mechanical preparation, sway bar advice, etc. I do carry specific parts for an 80 series such as a steering box, birfield and all the parts to repair a knuckle/studs (minus the actual knuckle), tie rod ends and a spark plug repair kit (don't ask).

We will be using 2m Ham for our communications, most likely 146.400. I recommend obtaining a license but don't let that stop you from picking up a radio. I have Baofeng hand held, they are inexpensive. I have a file (chirp) that can be uploaded to the radio which I can share ahead of time. It is very easy if you have a sync cable.

If you have made it and read down this far. ;) It would be nice to get to know each other a little better before joining up on the trail. This is a good place for introductions, to ask questions, and get answers.

Doug
AKA Devil's Slide Doug

Hey Doug! My name is Jeff. My friend Dave and I are signed up and will be joining you on the breakfast run in my 1964 FJ40. Dave and I did the breakfast run last year in Dave’s FJ40. We had a blast last year and hoping for the same this year! Thanks for leading the group!

Hey Doug! My name is Jeff. My friend Dave and I are signed up and will be joining you on the breakfast run in my 1964 FJ40. Dave and I did the breakfast run last year in Dave’s FJ40. We had a blast last year and hoping for the same this year! Thanks for leading the group!
Glad to have you aboard.

I am signed up with my son. I'm hoping my 40 will make. He is hoping to take his Tacoma for the first time. We may or may not be there for breakfast, but we will be at Loon. Last year, I was at Loon when this run came through. It was only 2 rigs. Curious how sign ups are running.

I am signed up with my son. I'm hoping my 40 will make. He is hoping to take his Tacoma for the first time. We may or may not be there for breakfast, but we will be at Loon. Last year, I was at Loon when this run came through. It was only 2 rigs. Curious how sign ups are running.
Last year was a low turn out for sure. The date change almost made me cancel as well. Dick has not given me a headcount yet as it is still early. Based on folks that have contacted me it looks like we may have 4 or 5 rigs already signed up (counting you) so far.

"looks like we may have 4 or 5 rigs already signed up"

CLOSE THE REGISTRATION NOW!

Just kidding

Not kidding.

I know, I was at the staging area when you went through. And I joined up with you from Buck to Rubicon Springs. I wonder if the guy in the fj cruiser is coming back. He was a trooper.

Hi,

A quick shout out to you all since I signed up for the Thursday run a couple of weeks ago. Doug and I have already swapped a few notes.

This will be my first on the Rubicon although I’m very familiar with the general area having wheeled and camped around the Eliis Peak/Bear Lake Area to the West. If anyone has any ‘first time’ recommendations, to ease the anxiety, I’m all ears ! Feel free to PM.

My girlfriend Linéa will be my co-driver and she is madly excited to do this trip since she’s heard so much about it over the years. It’s been on our ‘bucket list‘ for a while and I can’t believe it’s taken us so long to actually sign up.

So look forward to meeting you all and spending a few day’s together !

Linéa and Jonathan

EA3AF7F3-5F76-4215-BD8F-4F1C627DB910.jpeg

@cme4lyt - First, bring LOTS of LSD. Second, just bring an intention to have fun. The group will get you through. For me, Rubicon is much more of a mental than physical experience. You're going to test those sliders, and you will probably get a ding in at least one of your quarter panels. Make sure your skid plates are good, you're going to drag over them a few times.

A few more things that I would have appreciated knowing before my first time - which wasn't that long ago. The first day is the longest getting to Buck. And in Rubithon groups it's always pretty slow going. The groups skip little sluice and and old sluice and take Indian something around on the 'slabs' and past the entrance to the RTF property. There is one spot with cell service at cell phone tree - I think it's past Walker Hill and before Soup Bowl - but I could be wrong.

Buck is great, unless it's crowded, and it's almost certainly going to be crowded. The second day to Rubicon Springs is a lot shorter and although there are some hard obstacles, I find it less demanding. The only downside is there can often be a traffic jam on big sluice, so I know the runs always try to get out early to beat that (and sometimes end up being the cause of that).

Rubicon Spring camping area is really about a mile of river front rather than one place. The runs usually camp on granite slabs along the river down stream of the main camp - which is also often very crowded. There are very few trees, so be prepared to rig shade. The swimming is great, nice pools, but the water is VERY cold.

The line to get out Cadillac Sunday used to start about 8, now it starts about 7. Just be prepared to sit a little waiting to get to Cadillac proper. I actually really enjoy Cadillac. Assuming we are there in June, there will be people at every rock helping you navigate out. If someone breaks on Cadillac it can really slow things down. Once up Cadillac, it still takes an hour and a half to get to the staging area. There's nothing really hard, but it's one minor obstacle after another and slow going. The staging area is almost always packed. And there's still no cell service when you get there. There is some on the descent towards the lake if you watch for it, but won't last and it won't come back until you get to 89 around the Lake. Assuming you're going north to Tahoe City, the traffic continues until you get to Tahoe City (hopefully the new cut-off is open).

hope that helps.

Last edited:
@cme4lyt - First, bring LOTS of LSD. Second, just bring an intention to have fun. The group will get you through. For me, Rubicon is much more of a mental than physical experience. You're going to test those sliders, and you will probably get a ding in at least one of your quarter panels. Make sure your skid plates are good, you're going to drag over them a few times.

A few more things that I would have appreciated knowing before my first time - which wasn't that long ago. The first day is the longest getting to Buck. And in Rubithon groups it's always pretty slow going. The groups skip little sluice and and old sluice and take Indian something around on the 'slabs' and past the entrance to the RTF property. There is one spot with cell service at cell phone tree - I think it's past Walker Hill and before Soup Bowl - but I could be wrong.

Buck is great, unless it's crowded, and it's almost certainly going to be crowded. The second day to Rubicon Springs is a lot shorter and although there are some hard obstacles, I find it less demanding. The only downside is there can often be a traffic jam on big sluice, so I know the runs always try to get out early to beat that (and sometimes end up being the cause of that).

Rubicon Spring camping area is really about a mile of river front rather than one place. The runs usually camp on granite slabs along the river down stream of the main camp - which is also often very crowded. There are very few trees, so be prepared to rig shade. The swimming is great, nice pools, but the water is VERY cold.

The line to get out Cadillac Sunday used to start about 8, now it starts about 7. Just be prepared to sit a little waiting to get to Cadillac proper. I actually really enjoy Cadillac. Assuming we are there in June, there will be people at every rock helping you navigate out. If someone breaks on Cadillac it can really slow things down. Once up Cadillac, it still takes an hour and a half to get to the staging area. There's nothing really hard, but it's one minor obstacle after another and slow going. The staging area is almost always packed. And there's still no cell service when you get there. There is some on the descent towards the lake if you watch for it, but won't last and it won't come back until you get to 89 around the Lake. Assuming you're going north to Tahoe City, the traffic continues until you get to Tahoe City (hopefully the new cut-off is open).

hope that helps.

Thank You, great advice !

My first time on the Rubicon was several years back on the Breakfast Run. @Devil's Slide Doug was not leading the trail yet but was on the run and he really helped me and my wife get our 80 through relatively unscathed. He knows the trail well and what lines to take. You are in good hands with him.

@workingdog gave some pretty good advice. If I could add anything it would be bring BUGSPRAY! Not the cheap stuff but 98% DEET. Just careful on plastic. Also, pack smart so its easy to get your camping gear in and out of the truck as you may get to Buck Island Lake later in the day. The last thing you want to do after a long day on the trail is try to find all of your camping and food in the dark. Pack sandwiches the night before because lunch stops are pretty short. Also, having a HAM radio is nice too. If not licensed, get a cheap $20 Beofeng so you can "listen" to what is going on. Last piece of advise it to have a tow strap, gloves, d rings, and winch controller handy (inside front door is a good spot) just in case you get hung up. It is no fun to have to dig through all of your gear to find a strap.

It was a "bucket list" trip for us as well but be warned....you will have so much fun that you keep coming back. I think I'm on #5.

Hi,

A quick shout out to you all since I signed up for the Thursday run a couple of weeks ago. Doug and I have already swapped a few notes.

This will be my first on the Rubicon although I’m very familiar with the general area having wheeled and camped around the Eliis Peak/Bear Lake Area to the West. If anyone has any ‘first time’ recommendations, to ease the anxiety, I’m all ears ! Feel free to PM.

My girlfriend Linéa will be my co-driver and she is madly excited to do this trip since she’s heard so much about it over the years. It’s been on our ‘bucket list‘ for a while and I can’t believe it’s taken us so long to actually sign up.

So look forward to meeting you all and spending a few day’s together !

Linéa and Jonathan

Hmmm, the talk about the low turnout last year made me go look at my t-shirt and apparently we went through in 2018, lol. Oh well, looking forward to meeting everyone and having some fun on the trail! Cheers!

In. Looking forward to this one, the Rubicon has been on my bucket list for a while. I'll be in my 4-door FJ45 and may have a 4yo with me and/or a buddy unless he decides to drive his 55/80 hybrid.

In. Looking forward to this one, the Rubicon has been on my bucket list for a while. I'll be in my 4-door FJ45 and may have a 4yo with me and/or a buddy unless he decides to drive his 55/80 hybrid.
Welcome aboard!

Hey Doug. I backed out of the rubithon last year. But this year I'm in for sure. No excuses. I will be bringing my wife and son. Also my buddy and his wife will be joining us with their fj40.
We were both wondering what your opinion on roof top tents is? We are very limited on space in our fj40s. So the roof top tents really help us in that aspect. They weigh about 110 pounds. So not very heavy.
Thanks Travis

E4E15E90-C999-45CD-BA7E-400BEAB7C017.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom