canadian bj60 for conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i am purchasing a canadian 82 bj60 to transplant the drivetrain into my 60 or 60. it is my understanding that i can bring it into the us since it is 25 + yrs old. right? has anyone out there brought one in this way? if so , what documentation did you have to present, what customs fees ,hsaales, etc. thanks

i am purchasing a canadian 82 bj60 to transplant the drivetrain into my 60 or 60. it is my understanding that i can bring it into the us since it is 25 + yrs old. right? has anyone out there brought one in this way? if so , what documentation did you have to present, what customs fees ,hsaales, etc. thanks

Because it is a canadian vehicle it can come into the US anytime,no arguement.

If your going to part it out or just use the drivetrain why would you go to the hassle of registering the vehicle? Just haul it down there and strip it. Or drive it down on Can plates and then strip it.

Cheers

You'll need to give the border crossing you're going to use 72 hours (3 business days) notice of your intent to import with VIN numbers so they can check for stolen cars, then then you should be good to go.
If you are not a citizen of Canada you likely cannot simply drive in on Canadian plates (been there going to Canada on US plates).

IF you are going to register it, Its pretty easy, use a Registered Importer they do all the paperwork, put some stickers on the inside of the door and on the engine block itself, mine cost about 400. I didn't have to pay much import tax due to the low price of the rig.

Are you physically driving it over, or having it shipped?

OH BTW there is no 25 year rule for diesels made for the canadian market. We have the same federal emission and safety standards they do and any vehicle made for their market is legally importable. Don't try and get the "toyota letter" they will just give you the runaround.

I used Wayne Darby at Carco in BC , they may be able to help.

Where is your rig coming from?

this is a good website.

Importing a Toyota Diesel From Canada

Also, i'd reccomend getting an 83 or 84 with a 5spd.

You'll need to give the border crossing you're going to use 72 hours (3 business days) notice of your intent to import with VIN numbers so they can check for stolen cars, then then you should be good to go.
If you are not a citizen of Canada you likely cannot simply drive in on Canadian plates (been there going to Canada on US plates).

We didn't have to give this much notice, but it is the border and things are tighter now, and they can hassle you for anything.

crusher- i am strictly looking for mpg and reliability. it will be my dd and will probably never be offroad. if i decide later ,i uunderstand the 3b is fairly easy and cheap to turbo.

captain23- i will be bringing it in from ontario thru buffalo.i guess i will take a little road trip to pick it up unless anyone knows of an easier , less expensive way to get it to s ga. i have a 5spd in my 60.i may try later on to get the shaft swapped so i can use it with the 3b

cruiserguy- what docs other than the canadian title and bill of sale will i need?

freebie- i dont plan on registering it, i just want get it across the
border legally and canibalize it for the drivetrain

I would call Wanye at Carco, he'd give you the digs on border crossings for parts. I think if you were going to trailer it, you might as well get it shipped. I don't think you'd be able to drive it even if it is for parts, unless you get some Canadian to take a sweet GA vacation!
Check craigslist!!

okay, do you know the guy you are purchasing from?
are you budgeting for a rebuild?
milage?
year?

what rough location is the truck in, maybe one of us can check it out for you...

cheers

i am purchasing from a fellow mudder in ontario. it has relatively low miles . 1981 w/ 4spd

uote=crushers;3491373]okay, do you know the guy you are purchasing from?
are you budgeting for a rebuild?
milage?
year?

what rough location is the truck in, maybe one of us can check it out for you...

cheers[/quote]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom