Can you overland using stock LC200 wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I'm definitely going to get new tires suitable for offroad, most likely something in the 32.5 - 33 range.

My question was more centered around the wheels themselves. If I stick with 18" (instead of 17"), is there anything wrong with the stock wheels? Or should I be looking at Method, Icon, etc.
Like what the guys above said, the oem wheels are strong.

I didn’t know it until I started perusing the wheel options, but most of the aftermarket stuff isn’t forged. And the oem stuff, unless I’m mistaken, IS forged.

So the oem stuff tends to weigh less and be stronger...win win.

the general “pure upgrade” that is on our vehicles regarding wheels tends to be rock warrior 17’s and 285 70 r17...this is considered oem by Toyota except you get 32.8” tires. And the wheels are quite lightweight.

there tends to be a comparable profile tire that is preferred for each oem wheel offering. I’m running stock Lexus 20’s with 275 60 r20...while slightly narrower than the above listed perfect size, height wise I’m at 32.9”...so they’re pretty comparable.

I wouldn’t personally worry too much about the 275 vs 285 debate. They’re really close. 275’s are one of the sizes offered on tundras. They’re also offered on f250’s and f350’s.

I'm not looking for an excuse to buy anything. I'm actually looking for excuses not to buy things, as it is quite expensive to start a build and I'm definitely feeling some sticker shock.

After researching tires, suspensions, skids, sliders, lockers, gearing, compressors, bumpers, dual-batteries, brake controllers, lights, fridges, batteries, solar, drawers, racks, awnings, RTTs, winches, etc., I think I've been able to make some informed decisions on what should go into the build, and more importantly, what shouldn't.

However, I couldn't figure out what to do about wheels, so I decided to reach out. Thanks to everyone who provided a helpful response, I really appreciate it.
I'm going to assume you're new to thisIn all seriousness don't let what you see in the YouTube videos and what not fool you. You don't need any of that to get out there and enjoy forest service roads and camp with the family.

All the kit they have is usually unnecessary for the roads they travel. Get yourself a decent compressor if you don't have one (I suggest VIAIR since they are solid and cheaper than ARB compressors) and get out there. Your stock tires will handle the roads I assume you'll travel from your original post since you mentioned you don't want any damage. Maybe some recovery gear as well cause its good to have and enjoy bud.

You can "overland" in a Kia. The stock land cruiser, crappy tires as delivered will get you almost anywhere and back again. The stock rims are fine for any usage you can come up with. Don't sweat the little details, just get out there and explore. Don't buy into the overlanding hype.
You can "overland" almost anything. "Overlanding" is just a new word for good ol' "car camping". Getting an Instagram account should be done before anything...it's apparently the overlanding way of showing what you're doing and where you've been. It looks as if it may be more important than driving the truck. :cool:

Last edited:
You can "overland" almost anything. "Overlading" is just a new word for good ol' "car camping". Getting an Instagram account should be done before anything...it's apparently the overlanding way of showing what you're doing and where you've been. It looks as if it may be more important than driving the truck. :cool:
The most important step! Are even overlanding if you're not posting pics on the grams

96D78F29-3C26-46AB-BE50-AD83DF08AF35.jpeg

The OEM wheels do a great job and are pretty damn tough.

Last edited:
I took our stock '08 on many 4x4 trails between Ouray/Telluride/Lake City last summer. The only "trail-specific" thing was the land cruiser itself. We crossed several streams, high-mountain passes, easy rock steps, snow, mud, dirt, whatever. I had 285/60 R18 Yokohama A/T G015 tires inflated to about 38lbs. Yeah, there's a reason why I didn't deflate on the trails but that's another discussion. The rig and tires handled all of it very well. These tires are not the best for deep mud and deep snow, but they were more than good enough for the trail. It was fun to pass a lot of Jeeps, Fords, Chevy's, and Dodges. Not claiming to be an expert but I've done lots of trails and have learned going off-road is more about the driver's experience and mental state, weather, trail conditions, tire capability and tire placement, and knowing how to appropriately take advantage of the vehicle's capabilities than anything else.

We passed a lot of eye-candy Jeeps with all the fancy-schmancy gear. Many of these drivers had the look of terror in their eyes. It takes a big gut-check to be driving a decked-out Jeep with huge tires, lift, tons of lights, and whatever and to pull over and allow a generic-looking Toyota pass.

All of us can become paralyzed by researching stuff instead of gaining the actual experience of driving. Never put your full faith in having the right gear. Yeah, it's important to have the right gear and right vehicle. But that will never take the place of valuable on-the-trail experience. Years ago I came down Radical Hill in CO (not recommended). People below were taking bets to see if I'd roll my 4Runner. Out of 12 people only 1 guy laid a bet that I would make it. Not that I intended to take the trail, but after I realized I was on the trail and could not reverse back to the top, I knew I had the experience and vehicle to come down safely.

The Cruiser is way-more-capable than most people think. If my family's safety depended upon it and if I had to make a choice, I'd choose my stock '08 with stock tires than a fluffled-up-wannabe-looking non-cruiser 4x4.

Last edited:
Thanks a ton for everyone's responses. I'm definitely new at all of this and feel that it's better to ask now than do something on the trail that I really shouldn't. Sounds like stock wheels are fine. Next, I'll need to decide on the tires...

Thanks a ton for everyone's responses. I'm definitely new at all of this and feel that it's better to ask now than do something on the trail that I really shouldn't. Sounds like stock wheels are fine. Next, I'll need to decide on the tires...
I encourage you to ask if you need help. Of course do some due diligence with the search feature (not saying you didn't do this). It's not a law or a rule or required that you air down. Airing down gives the tires more traction and it'll be a less bumpier ride. If you wanna air down, get a compressor that will inflate quickly. I've been on a ton of trails without airing down.

Last edited:
You can do laps around the world with the stock wheels on the stock Cruiser.

The key to ”Overlanding” is the chair. You need a really expensive chair! The rest is just BS!

But can you broverland.. 🤔

I've certainly been accused.

But we've driven Land Cruisers on/across all 7 continents and finished the Baja 1000 8? times on stock Toyota wheel offerings. Does that count? :D

I've certainly been accused.

Butut we've driven Land Cruisers on/across all 7 continents and finished the Baja 1000 8? times on stock Toyota wheel offerings. Does that count? :D
I was only poking fun at the whole "broverland" lifestyle that everyone posts on IG of over kitting and riding dirt roads that wouldn't even phase a stock rig.

I was only poking fun at the whole "broverland" lifestyle that everyone posts on IG of over kitting and riding dirt roads that wouldn't even phase a stock rig.

The broverland/fauxverland realm sure can be exhausting :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom