Can you lock these trucks without having the key inside? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just look at all the law enforcement or city/county vehicles you see idling, with keys inside (but the operator is typically nearby). If I were to be ticketed for such nonsense, I would take it to court, and point that out, as no one should be above the law, unless the so called idling/puffer law specifically gives LEO or other Govt vehicles an exemption to do so.

Just installed a 12voltsolutions remote starter, went in super easy, highly recommended if you are on the fence. Now I can let my car idle for 15 full minutes locked! Puff puff pass!

Illegal if you get caught.
If something is illegal, it’s illegal whether you get caught or not. But the odds of getting caught on something like this are obviously really low unless one gets reported by a neighbor who can’t mind their own business.

Speaking of goofy or stupid laws…. Here in Massachusetts, it has been illegal now for 10 plus years to have a clothesline, but I have yet to hear of someone getting fined for it.

Massachusetts, it has been illegal now for 10 plus years to have a clothesline, but I have yet to hear of someone getting fined for it.
Using a clothes line a time or 2 would easily save more power than changing all your lightbulbs. How do they justify this?

Using a clothes line a time or 2 would easily save more power than changing all your lightbulbs. How do they justify this?
Yeah, I don't get it. In an age when energy conservation is being so strongly encouraged, a law of this sort is just downright stupid. The clothes dryer is probably the biggest consumer of electricity or natural gas by far, other than maybe air conditioners in the summer. Apparently 18 other states have similar laws. I was not aware of the law until a year or so ago when my mom mentioned she heard about it on the news as there was some discussion of revoking the law. She was rather surprised about the existence of the law and has used a clothesline "forever". And she still uses it, despite the law. I never knew my parents were such rebels :).

I’m reviving this old thread in case anybody is still looking for a way to leave the engine running with the doors locked.

@Leelanau suggested here:

He says that one can have the car running and use the manual key inside the key fob to lock the door.
Seems obvious and I feel dumb for not having thought of it.

I just tried it and it works.

Of course, I share this just for informational purposes. It would be dumb to use this feature here in Houston where it would just guarantee that somebody smashes your window and drives off with your vehicle.
And it’s illegal.

Edit: I let my LC (a 2021) run for 16 minutes to make sure there wasn’t some sort of auto-shut-off.
What’s interesting is that to unlock the door I had to use the manual key. The unlock buttons on the key fob didn’t work.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom