Can you give me some reasons why I should not buy 2" backspace rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, so I am thinking 32x11x16

I presently have a 2" shackle lift on stock springs [MAF Anti-anti whatever]

Why not 2" backspacing? I am thinking a bit wider stance, which I like.

Thanks,
Emee

in theory you will eat up wheel bearings...

but plenty of mini trucks are running around with 2"BS without trouble.

also

turning radius
fender rub
scrub radius
extra load on trunnion bearings
no safety bead on the outside lip of the wheel

I would go with 2.5 before going 2"

The safety bead on a 2.5 is still on the inside. I ran them on my 1st gen mini and never had a problem. That was on 14.5" wide boggers on my daily. I regularly checked my steering arm studs too so there was no excessive movement @ the trunion.

For as tall as you are I'm guessing you don't really need them. If you want them, go for it, just make sure you are starting out with decent trunion bearings.

Ahh, good thoughts. Basically increased pressure on componentry.

I am in the process of finding rims and such and I am running in to the backspace issue.

On my old Cruiser, I had the stock rims and was running Goodyear 32x11x15's and it was totally fine.

I was looking for a bit wider stance. I am seeing a few rigs running 2" backspace rims and am wondering why there are so few of them. In particular, I am in contact with the current owner of "Princess" who is up on "the Bay" right now.
I was considering purchasing her, but my timing is not going to work out.

She is an expidition vehicle and she is running rims that are 2" backspaced. I like the stance and was wondering why the general rule for 60's is 3.5".

Thanks again for the input.

Emee

Ahh, good thoughts. Basically increased pressure on componentry.

I am in the process of finding rims and such and I am running in to the backspace issue.

On my old Cruiser, I had the stock rims and was running Goodyear 32x11x15's and it was totally fine.

I was looking for a bit wider stance. I am seeing a few rigs running 2" backspace rims and am wondering why there are so few of them. In particular, I am in contact with the current owner of "Princess" who is up on "the Bay" right now.
I was considering purchasing her, but my timing is not going to work out.

She is an expidition vehicle and she is running rims that are 2" backspaced. I like the stance and was wondering why the general rule for 60's is 3.5".

Thanks again for the input.

Emee

Stock wheels have a backspacing of 3.5" so that is why it is considered the general rule. There are a lot of people that run 2.5" to accomodate wider tires. Some people run 3.5" BS around town and put in 1 1/2" spacers for the more extreme off-road stuff. Anythings more that 3.75" you run into clearance issues. But the farther out you push your tire, the more strain you put on your components. How much and what if anything wears out faster is kind of up in the air to figure out.

Princess's wide stance is also to accommodate for her lift. Not just for tire width. The wider stance allows better handling for such a lifted rig.

2" BS will be a hell of a lot harder to turn than a 3.5" BS rim.

Other that that (and the aforementioned trunion and wheel bearing abuse) there is no real downfalls to running them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom