can you change the front output bearing without splitting t-case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so i have a bit of growl (i think) in my t-case, in 4wd. it started on a hell trip through the mountains during a blizzard last year. i drove from vancouver to kamloops in 4 hi, most of the way in 3rd gear.
i just made it to kamloops and i hear "something". the sound remained for the rest of the trip.
i pulled over and noticed the press-on plate that protects the pinion seal was loose, hoped it was my problem and kept going.
when i got to edmonton i changed u-joints and balanced drive shafts...
when i changed the oil in the t-case it was half empty(humiliating to addmit).
anyway, the truck seems fine in 2wd but when i shift into 4, over 30 mph there is a regular but intermittent growl.
does it sound like t-case? i don't want to have it rebuilt and find out it was something else...
anyone know a good wat to check it? there is no play or leak at the front output shaft.
also, i don't know if it is pertenant but i lengthened my front shackles (about 2") and have not corrected the pinion angle.
thanks,
eric

can you change the front output bearing without splitting t-case?

Which truck are you working on?

'81 bj 42 daily driver
'81 bj42 project
'77 fj40 rise like a phoenix from the ashes
'78 fj55 i couldn't say no...

The pre 08/80 trucks you can replace the front output bearing, as you can remove the nose cone from the case and drive the output shaft out of the bearing, and then swap out the bearing.

With a split case, you will need to split the transfer case in order to get that front output bearing removed from the front half of the transfer case housing. You can then also inspect the pilot nose section of the front output shaft and the needle bearing pressed into the front section of the transfer case main shaft.

I would bet that your needle bearing in the end of the main shaft is shot, allowing the front output shaft to wobble around under power (while in 4wd)

:meh:

thanks for the quick reply.
i'm working on a dec./80 bj42.

eric

thanks for the quick reply.
i'm working on a dec./80 bj42.

eric

12/80 42 series...

Ok, so you have a split case.

You will need to remove the transfer case halves from the rear of the transmission.

Being that you have ran this low on oil for a while, I would suggest picking up a bearing and gasket kit for it, along with any bushings that are pressed into the high and low speed gears on the main shaft.

No big deal. If you do not have an FSM, pick one up and go through your transfer case.

:beer:

thanks, it did get a thousand miles or so in a couple of days. lucky i made it.
eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom