Can someone tell me what the length of the stock front driveshaft is? 83 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to know the length of the stock front driveshaft.

I was running a shortened one since my truck has the 5.3L vortec/h55. I had the wrong advance adapter which was giving me clutch problems. I now have the correct adapter but it moved the TC further away from the front axle.

Thanks,
ML

Look over at the wagon way website, I think he has a right up on the three different lengths.

Edit, I just checked there and I was wrong, he doesn't have the lengths written down.

Thanks Snow...,

Hopefully someone will chime in with the length.

I'm no expert but I'm going to say it's different based on a hand full of components. You have a vortec so your motor mounts are in a different place there fore is there "stock' answers NO. Lift? Caster? Tires size? Doesn't this all contribute some? again no expert but with my limited experience it differs slightly from truck to truck.

I'm no expert but I'm going to say it's different based on a hand full of components. You have a vortec so your motor mounts are in a different place there fore is there "stock' answers NO. Lift? Caster? Tires size? Doesn't this all contribute some? again no expert but with my limited experience it differs slightly from truck to truck.

Thanks Tat...,

The adapter I have should not have moved the driveshaft location. What I meant by stock length is that I just need the length, for a non modified, fj60 with the 2f, etc.

Thanks,
ML

image-692918201.jpg

image-2179313682.jpg
image-692918201.jpg
image-2179313682.jpg

Not the very best pictures but that's what mine looks like and it's stock, I have a list and the front cross member has been notched. The one picture shows how the slip part of the yoke is sitting I don't know how best to show it as a whole without taking it out and it's friday and I want to swill brew not turn wrenches!

There are two lengths pre 84ish has the double Cardon and its the shorter one. I just remembered I have one sitting in theshop unmodified ill take a look next time I make it out there. I have no idea when that will be though.

Thanks Tat, Snow,

thanks, this is pretty close to what i need, distance of mine is right under 26" flange-to-flange.

ML

Blurg. I have an ‘86 which I imagine probably has the longer front drive shaft if the ‘82 was shorter than ‘85....but the one that’s on it is definitely too long and measured about 27.5”.
Only the two factory options for a 60 series. Does your 86 have the spacer between the trans and transfer? Maybe someone swapped in an earlier trans? Design break was 10/84 so 85 model year.

Only the two factory options for a 60 series. Does your 86 have the spacer between the trans and transfer? Maybe someone swapped in an earlier trans? Design break was 10/84 so 85 model year.
The truck was converted to SOA but they didn’t get the front drive shaft quite finished before I bought it and started going back to stock, so I’m gonna have to investigate - I’m not sure what is required in that department. All I know is that if there is a spacer between the trans and transfer removing it is beyond my pay grade. I’ll have to find a front driveshaft that fits or have one made.

@Hold my beer The spacer I was referring to is a stock part of the trans that enabled the factory to install either a 5 or 4 speed with no other alterations. If you have the 86 trans still, then it’s there to stay, not something to remove. Sounds like if you are going back to stock and you have the stock trans then the 27.5” driveshaft is the correct stock length, judging by @rhah pics. If it isn’t fitting something else is misaligned or altered like spring length, cross member changed, axle caster changed. What is your flange to flange measurement?

@Hold my beer The spacer I was referring to is a stock part of the trans that enabled the factory to install either a 5 or 4 speed with no other alterations. If you have the 86 trans still, then it’s there to stay, not something to remove. Sounds like if you are going back to stock and you have the stock trans then the 27.5” driveshaft is the correct stock length, judging by @rhah pics. If it isn’t fitting something else is misaligned or altered like spring length, cross member changed, axle caster changed. What is your flange to flange measurement?
Flange to flange is 27.5. I have a stock front axle with OME lift springs and shackles. The axle sits a solid 1” too far forward for the center spring bolt to align with the hole in the axle spring plates. I need to take pictures later so people can see what I’m saying.

I’ll start with the basics and make sure I have my springs on in the right direction, etc.

So here are some pics - I can’t spot what is out of place if a 27.5 drive shaft is supposed to fit. There doesn’t appear to be a spacer between the transmission and transfer case or anything

268B7048-5A57-4A28-BA6C-F64BD58259CE.jpeg

56FC7932-541C-4EAA-9C4D-64FE9DDC826E.jpeg

CED43C01-5520-4740-8119-13646083DF88.jpeg

4F43F598-4736-453D-9CF3-9A48DB58A18C.jpeg

Okay, so you have the later trans with the spacer but a double carden early (short) drive shaft that was probably lengthened. In a DC setup the pinion flange should point directly at the transfer case output, which it’s not. The axle has to locate on the center pins and be in place before you ever attach your driveshaft. What is keeping it from seating. Remove the drive shaft and tie rod and drag link and sway bar, get the axle located and secure, then proceed with the other stuff, leave the DS for last. Then see how it fits. You might need to purchase a stock late model driveshaft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom