Can rims amplify tire noise? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 2010 GX460 came with some stupid (in my eyes) rims and tires (KO2s) that make a lot of road noise. Please don't lecture on "it might be something else." Its the tires.

I have purchased new tires but am wondering if the rims could be amplifying the sound. Anyone have any real world experience here? I've been looking for stock rims but haven't found anything close. I don't want to mount new tires and have the same problem.

tire.jpg

In all my years of modifying vehicles (e.g.: many, many rims and tires combo's, street and off road) over about 45 years, I've never heard of nor had any issues of rims amplifying, resonating or any other noise anomalies associated with rims.
The tires you have on there look like mud terrains, and for a fact mud terrains make noise. Some more than others. The quieter ones like the BFG M/T's are pretty quiet until they're about half tread life.
But I can guarantee you it not the wheels.
I bet you can find someone pretty quick to buy those wheels and tires off you! I'm sure there are many out there that would love that color/style combo, then you can get want you want!

All else equal, rims would not change tire noise. Increasing rim diameter and thus decreasing tire sidewall over stock, could, as well as the specific tread type and wear of those tires. The BFG's you have are not (by all consensus I hear/read) a "loud" tire, so perhaps they're worn poorly or you'd prefer an all-season/highway tire like your GX came with from the factory.

I bet you can find someone pretty quick to buy those wheels and tires off you! I'm sure there are many out there that would love that color/style combo, then you can get want you want!
The problem is there is some curb rash on a couple of the rims. I will attempt to sell, but that is dissapointing.

Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: r2m
The problem is there is some curb rash on a couple of the rims. I will attempt to sell, but that is dissapointing.

Thanks for the advice!
Any price you can get for them just knocks down the cost of replacement! 👍

From my experience a bent wheel can cause road noise. But I should elaborate - a bent wheel can cause the tire to oval with time. It will keep getting louder and louder. This has been my experience with several vehicles (not all my vehicles).

From my experience a bent wheel can cause road noise. But I should elaborate - a bent wheel can cause the tire to oval with time. It will keep getting louder and louder. This has been my experience with several vehicles (not all my vehicles).
I would imagine you could feel a wobble?

Lexus has a noise reduction wheel design on the ES Ultra Luxury, perhaps it's a gimmick but I'd bet it does something.

I would imagine you could feel a wobble?
I never have. I suppose the wheels haven't been extremely bent. Just enough to cause ovaling be the end of the tires life.

Example: The tires on my mom's CR-V were done. The left rear was loud! Sounded somewhat like a really loud, bad wheel bearing. I put new tires on (with my tire mounter & balancer) and could see that the wheel was slightly bent. It did balance and is now completely quite and drives great. I would get a new wheel if it were me but that's a different topic.

In the OP's situation I highly doubt it's the wheels since he bought new tires and it's still loud.

Front wheel bearings can sound similar to loud tire (not lecturing anyone).

Lexus has a noise reduction wheel design on the ES Ultra Luxury, perhaps it's a gimmick but I'd bet it does something.
So wheel design definitely can be a functional aerodynamic component that can be used to help with brake cooling and/or aero efficiency so it's not a gimmick to say you designed the wheels to reduce wind noise, but it's also a pretty low impact component. In OP's case it is definitely the tires - K02s and lots of other tires get noticeably louder as they wear. For the GX, wheel offset probably affects wind noise way more than the design of the wheel. Low/Negative offset that pushes the wheel/tire out of the fenders could certainly create more noise, and that noise is next to your window instead of inside the fender.

I would replace those wheels because they are ugly and multi-lug bolt patterns aren't the best, but I would pick wheels you like and keep the offset above 0 rather than worrying about how the spokes might affect wind noise.

That's an interesting question. Anything is possible. Different wheel shapes/material could have different damping properties and excitation frequencies.

So wheel design definitely can be a functional aerodynamic component that can be used to help with brake cooling and/or aero efficiency so it's not a gimmick to say you designed the wheels to reduce wind noise, but it's also a pretty low impact component. In OP's case it is definitely the tires - K02s and lots of other tires get noticeably louder as they wear. For the GX, wheel offset probably affects wind noise way more than the design of the wheel. Low/Negative offset that pushes the wheel/tire out of the fenders could certainly create more noise, and that noise is next to your window instead of inside the fender.

I would replace those wheels because they are ugly and multi-lug bolt patterns aren't the best, but I would pick wheels you like and keep the offset above 0 rather than worrying about how the spokes might affect wind noise.
Agreed. My KO2's are roughly half done and they've got increasingly more drone as they wear, but so far as negative offset and wind noise... I run -12 and not sure I'd be able to confirm that.

IMG_2931.jpg

Agreed. My KO2's are roughly half done and they've got increasingly more drone as they wear, but so far as negative offset and wind noise... I run -12 and not sure I'd be able to confirm that.
I guess my point was that if you are worried about road noise, the simple solution is to get some Michelins and keep the wheels and tires inside the fenders. I doubt if you went back to stock wheels on half worn K02s you would notice any difference from road noise today. If you had quiet highway tires and went from a -12 wheel to a +20 wheel and had some fancy equipment, there would be some small measurable difference.

Be glad you don't have an EV. One of the annoyances of EV owners is when expecting a quiet ride, they get a lot of road noise through their tires because there is no other mechanical/engine noise to drown out road noise.
There are tires being developed just for EV's so there is less road nose.

Be glad you don't have an EV. One of the annoyances of EV owners is when expecting a quiet ride, they get a lot of road noise through their tires because there is no other mechanical/engine noise to drown out road noise.
There are tires being developed just for EV's so there is less road nose.
I feel like a lot of that is really because Tesla doesn't do anywhere near the amount of NVH engineering/mitigation that most other car makers, and especially luxury brands, do. A lot of tire companies have spent a lot of time and money making quieter tires for cars regardless of their power train because low noise is what the average driver actually cars about. I think the reason we are seeing EV-specific tires is that it lets them charge a premium but also they do have to figure out some interesting conundrums: heavy vehicles that need ultra low rolling resistance that also need low noise and high grip.

Noise characterization and abatement is definitely a thing in the tire industry. The tread hitting the road (contact patch) is pumping air for one thing. "Sizzle" is a term used for just one of the many noise categories which are studied.

I really like my Revo 3s. Super quiet and well mannered for an AT. The 285/70R17 E Load Range. They are a bit Floaty. I like it, some don't.

I ended up getting some stock rims from a guy in Princeton Illinois for $250. I bought new Cooper 265/60R-18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S SL. Took it for a test drive and its as silent as it should be. No more droning. Thanks for all the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom