Can one of you fine chaps measure something for me? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
I need a couple measurements from a 70-Series truck for my HZJ40 project.

I'm running an 70/80-Series power steering box with a 70-Series drag link end. I'm shopping for a steering damper that will work with my truck and I'm wondering if I might be able to just use a standard 70-Series stabilizer or if I'd have to relocate the frame mounted damper bracket.

Can anyone please measure a compressed and extended length of their factory stabilizer (pin center to pin center)?

Thanks!
Lee

You may consider getting the PN to an OME stab and checking it’s specs.

Yup, trying that. I've been looking at Bilstein and OME's webpages looking for specs but have not been able to find anything specific on operating lengths. :(

Basically, I'm looking for a stabilizer that has a compressed length of 13.5" but has a ram length of 9.5"... I'm beginning to think no such product exists and I may have to relocate the frame mounted bracket/tab. ...if I end up going that route, I'd like to go with a Toyota product which would ultimately be something like a 70-Series damper as that will likely be the closest thing to what I'd need on a -40.

TIA.

Last edited:
Don't remember what the measurements were, but I used a stock 70 damper and had to move the frame mount.

Hello,

I might be stating the obvious here.

Toyota steering dampers are smaller, harder and way more expensive than aftermarket products. It is the case where aftermarket is better than OEM.

You may want to check, say, OME or Dobinsons catalogs for 40 Series steering dampers. They have considered the extended/contracted lengths in their design.

Part numbers from the Dobinsons catalog I have at hand:
  1. 1960 - 1980, 40 Series: SD59-823.
  2. 1980 -1984, 45/47 Series: SD59-823.
I think it is better to install one of these instead of fabricating mounts for a 70 Series part.

Juan

Hello,

I might be stating the obvious here.

Toyota steering dampers are smaller, harder and way more expensive than aftermarket products. It is the case where aftermarket is better than OEM.

You may want to check, say, OME or Dobinsons catalogs for 40 Series steering dampers. They have considered the extended/contracted lengths in their design.

Part numbers from the Dobinsons catalog I have at hand:
  1. 1960 - 1980, 40 Series: SD59-823.
  2. 1980 -1984, 45/47 Series: SD59-823.
I think it is better to install one of these instead of fabricating mounts for a 70 Series part.

Juan
Hi, Juan.
When I said stick with Toyota, I didn't mean I'd actually buy a OEM Toyota damper. I just meant that I didn't want to change the way the stabilizer mounts. ...some guys have suggested I add a clamp bracket to the relay rod and I really don't want to do that.

Either way, I think it's a moot point as I think the 70-series frames had a different width and, as The Eradicator mentioned, it would require moving the bracket anyway.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Here you go...

E244A99C-FD33-49C0-AC06-017B2399A458.jpeg

C8F93458-50B6-423B-87E8-354CE44D090C.jpeg

6C165B4D-6141-4919-9897-E07BCAF36AD9.jpeg

29A870EA-4C91-4B81-BF3A-0834BB4817A1.jpeg

We are working on mounting my stabilizer on an 80 frame with OEM 80 steering. I am using a 70 series stabilizer bracket on the frame on this build. On the last build we used an 80 series modified bracket(same deal...80 frame/80 steering)....we wanted to stick with all 80s stuff on that one.

For this one, we had a Dobinsons 75 series SD59-824 steering stabilizer in stock for another project(92 FZJ75). It measures 16.75" compressed and 25.5" extended which works perfectly on the 80 build.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom