Can I turn down the torsion bar in my steering box? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are you thinking to reduce shaft diameter and increase the active area of the piston? Is that how the box works? I don't think that is how the box works.

Anything you can do to increase the piston size would have the same effect as lightening the steering feel. Do you really not like it?

OH! now I've got it. duh.

There is a torsion bar with a specific spring rate between the input shaft and the valve... Forgot about that. Same way Electronic Power steering works, its just a valve instead of the electro-doohickies...

How about opening up the ports on the valve to allow more fluid flow? do you have a spare to play with?

PS-Gearbox.jpg

Pulled this from a google search. Its not a Denso/Aisin/JTEKT/KOYO (whoever makes the damn thing) diagram, but RBS is basically all the same.

Ultimately, its the shape of the port opening that controls your steering feel. It varies from the On-Center position out to the extremes to give a "linear" feel to the steering as much as possible. Its really touchy too, so I don't know how much I'd play with it.

Last edited:
Don't think that is going to have the effect that you are looking for? Doesn't look like something that would have a good effect if broken? We have one that is leaking from the o-ring on the input, will try to find time to take it apart.
box-1.jpg

If the input torsion bar was perfectly rigid then youd get no asymmetry in the pressure on the piston and thus no power assist. If the torsion bar was a toothpick then the slightest steering input resistance would result in a redirection of pressure, no?

upload_2018-2-27_13-19-30.png

my steering is also pretty heavy. what me do to make better?

So I asked a local expert. Yes, turning the torsion bar down could help, but it is difficult to remove/replace and you run the risk of it breaking and losing your power assist completely. Another option would be to play with the system pre-load, but that doesn't work so well in an RBS system. The other option is to increase pump flow. This isn't so easy, but I'm looking into that now

So I asked a local expert. Yes, turning the torsion bar down could help, but it is difficult to remove/replace and you run the risk of it breaking and losing your power assist completely. Another option would be to play with the system pre-load, but that doesn't work so well in an RBS system. The other option is to increase pump flow. This isn't so easy, but I'm looking into that now
You are a helpful fellow!

Contact Cruiser Outfitters and purchase a part time kit and Aisin hubs. Install and enjoy lighter steering.

If you are dead set on cracking the box open and modifying it call Jeff or Chris at Howe and ask them. They will know.

Contact Cruiser Outfitters and purchase a part time kit and Aisin hubs. Install and enjoy lighter steering.

If you are dead set on cracking the box open and modifying it call Jeff or Chris at Howe and ask them. They will know.

Dats fine, except the heavy steering problem is experienced while wheeling!

Dats fine, except the heavy steering problem is experienced while wheeling!
Most people don't wheel.

Maybe hydro-assist...?

I dont think Aisin hubs will fit my axle?

Switching to Part-time and removing the front drive-axles would help lighten it a little.
Have you already flushed the system and rebuilt the pump? clean fluid and fresh seals in the pump would also give an incremental change.

How much reduction are you looking for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom