Can I ground my winch here? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Planning to install a Warn winch on my 80 this week and the negative terminal on my battery does not have a bit for accessories to fit on. Will I be able to safely ground the winch to the battery ground here, or should I get a new clamp?
D3089F72-01A4-4108-9E19-119A4C60AD20.jpeg

Apologies if this should have gone in the electronics section, will happily move if needed.

You absolutely must run it to the battery, the current will probably explode that chassis ground lead

The amount of current you are working with is way too high for that small ground. Direct to battery 100%.

1568845680440.png

You need all the power your system can deliver to run a winch. The positive lead goes to the positive post on the battery, that's usually clear enough. But don't let the ease of grounding back to the frame with lesser loads in automotive wiring seduce you into thinking this will work with a mega-load like a winch. The chart above gives you numbers, but the short answer is the lead retunring the juice to the ground must be as large as the one feeding it or you limit the load the winch can handle - and might just set things flaming.

You can ground it to the frame or the engine block too. If the ground is good enough to run your starter motor, it is good enough to run your winch. Don’t ground it to sheet metal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom