Can I find a decent rig for $15k? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@85roktoy
Sounds like we’re looking for the same thing! I’ll echo the sentiments that $15-20k is the sweet spot. Unfortunately I’ve lost out to a couple due to work/family that were around 6 hours away. They are out there, but go quickly.

Big thanks to @oakweb for continuing to post his findings in the for sale section! One of these days I’ll snag one in the SF/Sac area before someone else does.

@85roktoy
Sounds like we’re looking for the same thing! I’ll echo the sentiments that $15-20k is the sweet spot. Unfortunately I’ve lost out to a couple due to work/family that were around 6 hours away. They are out there, but go quickly.

Big thanks to @oakweb for continuing to post his findings in the for sale section! One of these days I’ll snag one in the SF/Sac area before someone else does.

Yep maybe you can find yours on the west coast and I’ll get lucky here on the east coast. Family and work is a big one for me as well. It will be challenging for me to “drop” everything if something comes up but I do have the money ready. Maybe that would play in my favor.

Sorry folks if this is in the wrong section. Sold my 78 about 10yrs ago. Looking for another now. Prices have definitely went up. Obviously not looking for anything restored but should I be able to find a decent original running rig with very minimal rust for around $15k?

One most common data is most who sold their FJ40 , regrets it. I have heard this over and over. These are almost an heirloom.

Yes you can. Check out my thread “The Iron Yak”. Bought 1 yr ago for a little over 15k. A very decent rig IMHO. You can see what it was lacking and what I have done to it. Lots of goodies from POs including a nice winch, a lift kit, new seat covers, stereo system. I have spent some money on it but my son and I have done most of the work ourselves which obviously saved us some expense.
Someone on this forum once said you will spend more after you purchase it and I believe that to be true.

No affiliation, but I am always looking.

If I was looking this would be one I would be checking out. But I prefer one in original verses a fresh paint job. Easier to tell the condition with pictures. Fresh paint who knows what's hidden under the paint. I would ask for some more detailed pictures of the back doors and rear sill. No rust stains on the rockers below the front doors is a plus unless they been rubbed out.

The cables cabledudes in the wrong neighborhood!

My extended neighborhood is just as bad.......

Sometimes, I'm seriously waiting for Rod Serling to come out from behind the LC's we've looked at for sale here. I swear I can smell the Chesterfields as I crawl out from under some of these.

As many have said, there are deals out there.....but there's a lot of garbage and most people are pricing what they know is garbage, above $15k

Patience and Timing, Patience and Timing

I’m in the FL panhandle. Are there a lot in this region compared to out west?

I'm also in the FL panhandle. Found mine in Birmingham AL, so not too far off. A fellow MUD member (who I didn't know before, and have never met) went and checked it out for me and we talked about it on the phone.

You might run the risk of a MUD member snatching up your deal...but it is probably worth it if the rig is on the other side of the country and you can't see it in person.

I don’t even wanna hear it!😕

most expensive was $4,200 with the exception of the HJ45 which wasn’t much higher. There was also a rust bucket fj60 under the $900 Mark.

DF6FA54A-E13B-4E9F-8336-7EC9B13E13EE.jpeg
B97EBC09-B8CE-47BF-8F24-96B61B4E7A4E.jpeg
FB3DA6A6-698D-43D1-BDE9-C52C33EB904F.jpeg
C619D323-A165-49B2-993D-7BCCEE0A9E3E.jpeg

63751938-EE50-4438-BB90-E9745D748D44.jpeg

110-1062_IMG.jpg

The front FJ55 is the same white one from above, just painted and different tires. The back wasn’t around a long time.
not a brag post, just can’t believe the prices you can get now compared to just not many years years.

And a caution...DON’T SELL YOUR CRUISERS!

I'm also in the FL panhandle. Found mine in Birmingham AL, so not too far off. A fellow MUD member (who I didn't know before, and have never met) went and checked it out for me and we talked about it on the phone.

You might run the risk of a MUD member snatching up your deal...but it is probably worth it if the rig is on the other side of the country and you can't see it in person.

Good tip. Not sure I’d be willing to drive or fly across the country for one but a few hours no problem.

that will limit you quite a bit. I’ve had to travel or ship a few.

I’d consider shipping for sure as long as I can get a legitimate inspection.

Still boggles the mind that $15k-$20k is the "solid original" cruiser range. I'm looking back at the cruisers I've bought for under $5k in the last 10-15 years.... :frown:

Interesting how hindsight is with time. I graduated high school, in the gas lines timeframe, and had many chances to buy vehicles that would now allow me a wonderful retirement. There was a 1970 hemi cuda for sale in my hometown for about 1500.00. Problem at that tim was 2 X 4 BBL carbs. Gas was scarce then. Today , my 1500.00 would bring at least 500,000.00

How long ago did you purchase the ‘77?

I got it a year... 😳wow... covid time... 2 years ago now... but it also came with almost all the parts I needed to complete it. I want to say I saw my 77 on Craig’s list when I was playing with locations..

They do pop up in the panhandle. Bought mine locally and considered 2 others that were in various stages of frame off resto. Be patient, do your due diligence. Check craigslist / Facebook market place in and around the area. You might come across someone from Eglin AFB who is PCSing and needs to get rid of one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom