Can I 2F with a 3 speed trans/t-case combo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys!

I have a 1976 2F engine and a 3 speed transmission/transfercase combo that I want to swap into my 1966 fj40.

I don't want opinions about going to a 4 speed etc... I want facts and considerations for this swap specifically.

Currently I am running the original 1F and a 4 speed tranny/ 3 speed transfercase with original dash mount transfercase shifter, 4 speed bellhousing, 2F flywheel/clutch combo and the correct flanges on my drive shafts to make it work.

Will it work?
What modifications?
Clutch?
Bellhousing?
Driveshafts?

Thanks fellas!

If the three speed is currently booked up to the 2F your set. If not you need to source a three speed bellhousing. Engine mounts are the same for F and 2F. If the current F engine is original it would be a F135. Calling it a 1F really doesn't tell which F engine you have as they had many changes until the 2F started in 1975. Your driveshaft flanges are a wildcard. When the four speed was added what did they do for driveshafts. Get one for a four speed and change flanges or modify the original driveshafts. My 70 FJ40 has a 2F with the original three on the tree. But it always a three speed so has original driveshafts. They are two pattern of three speed flanges. Mainly larger studs on the later style. Four speed had a completely different pattern.

I know the pivot stud for the 3 speed is different than the 4speed . I’m running a 2f flywheel and clutch assembly with a 3 speed bell housing and transmission in my LV and it works really well . I’m still running 3 on the tree just to keep it vintage it’s alot fun .

I know the pivot stud for the 3 speed is different than the 4speed . I’m running a 2f flywheel and clutch assembly with a 3 speed bell housing and transmission in my LV and it works really well . I’m still running 3 on the tree just to keep it vintage it’s alot fun .

Pivot stud are you talking about the one for the clutch fork? As far as I know it has to match the fork which are completely different for the three and four speed. You can switch the bellhousings as long as the flywheel and the rest of the clutch assembly match. Using all the original three speed clutch parts on my 68 with a H42 four speed. When I added the four speed other than the parts to convert the transfer the rest stayed original. Had the original driveshafts modified.

I have no problem with the three speed clutch. When I added my four speed did not have the collection of parts I have today. The place that did the clutch work back in the nineties is still there and has a four and half star rating. I was told the clutch would be ready by noon. This included resurfacing the flywheel. When in after work and no one at the counter. Walked in back to see someone dicking with the pressureplate on a machine setting of the adjustment for the three fingers. After installing the four speed which was a pain not cutting anything didn't want to pull it out to take it back. Used the measurements in the FSM and got them as close as I could and made sure all three were the same. Once I adjusted it the shudder in first gear when starting to move was gone.

Hey guys!

I have a 1976 2F engine and a 3 speed transmission/transfercase combo that I want to swap into my 1966 fj40.

I don't want opinions about going to a 4 speed etc... I want facts and considerations for this swap specifically.

Currently I am running the original 1F and a 4 speed tranny/ 3 speed transfercase with original dash mount transfercase shifter, 4 speed bellhousing, 2F flywheel/clutch combo and the correct flanges on my drive shafts to make it work.

Will it work?
What modifications?
Clutch?
Bellhousing?
Driveshafts?

Thanks fellas!
@kindoflikerambo , what did you do for driveshafts, and pinon flanges? Did you start with up to July '78 4 speed driveshafts and pinon flanges? Did you source 3 speed driveshafts, and go back to one of the 3 speed patterns on the transfercase front flange and parking brake drum?

Any updates on the clutch?

I'm interested because I'm thinking about putting a 3 speed in my original '75 FJ40.

Cheers

Last edited:
@Dizzy Sorry I don't get on here everyday like I used to. I'm out of money so the temptation for parts can get me in trouble sometimes 😉 I originally purchased a completely stock 1965 fj40 (all original). I wasn't big on the three on the tree (no judging) as this is my daily driver. I looked into a four speed conversion and went through Cruiserparts.net (don't ask how my experience was as they are a big retailer and I want to remain optimistic my experience was a one-off). Anyway, they offered a 4 speed conversion kit and what came in the kit was: h42 transmission, shifter parts for transmission and transfer case, (2) 4 speed drivelines (one short and one long with the larger flanges), an extra flange that goes into my parking brake output to mate properly, 2f bellhousing, I bought a new 2F clutch kit non- three finger and a used 2F fly wheel (needed to be resurfaced), and lastly the conversion gear and spacer that replaced my PTO gear to "adapt" to my 3 speed transfer case.

I had to use my three speed driveline flanges (I hope I'm using the correct terms) and place them on the 4 speed drivelines to mate to my old differentials...

So in short (or not so short)... In order for you to put a three speed into your 75 it would be best to acquire (2) 3 speed complete drivelines so you can rob the flanges, (possibly an old parking break flange?) and a 1F bellhousing, 1F fly wheel and 1F three-finger style clutch parts. People feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Forgot about your transfer case setup too. Might just want to swap your 4 speed t-case for a three speed t-case as they have a lower crawling gear as well and it will make life easier....

Now that you got me talking I'm thinking I might have some of the parts you need and maybe we can swap some to make it worth it... I have a few three speeds, 3 speed t-cases, 3 speed drive shafts and (maybe) and extra bellhousing and other parts. Can't remember. Hit me up if you're interested but apologies if I'm a little slow to reply. Good luck regardless.

All the Best,

(406) 431-4585 -text
Genemeegan@gmail.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom