can an old 3b be happy @ 10,000 feet without a turbo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
it's a 1985 Canadian bj70 with a fresh head, i live at 10,000 feet and its got a high idle and runs rich and smokey which i think is because of the altitude. what im wondering is will this thing hate the altitude without a turbo? also is there any way to tell if my problem is a bad injector pump diaphragm? thanks,

It is probably just the altitude. I took my 84 BJ60 from Mexico up to visit friends in Sawpit and Norwood, and driving up the hill from Cortez I thought I was going to obscure the sun! I changed my i-pump diaphragm at my buddies shop in Norwood and it was a total waste of time. Still smoked like a bazzterd. You can set up the pump to work better at your altitude, but a turbo would really be best. ATX makes a complete kit. Google it up!

it's a 1985 Canadian bj70 with a fresh head, i live at 10,000 feet and its got a high idle and runs rich and smokey which i think is because of the altitude. what im wondering is will this thing hate the altitude without a turbo? also is there any way to tell if my problem is a bad injector pump diaphragm? thanks,

Silly question. It's a diesel--it virtually demands a turbo.

Everything about your engine is screaming for a turbo, especially up in Leadville.

Dan

Even an "old driver" needs a turbo at that altitude.:)
.......1978HJ45

Turbo...

You will be surprised of the BIG diffrents when you put on the turbo. I have done it, and it changed the joy of the truck.

:cheers:

I know this is OFF TOPIC , I have a Caterpillar C-15 compound turbo model it is rated for 10,007 FT service ceiling. Even 60 Lb boost compound motors have trouble at that altitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom