can an old 3b be happy @ 10,000 feet without a turbo (1 Viewer)

it's a 1985 Canadian bj70 with a fresh head, i live at 10,000 feet and its got a high idle and runs rich and smokey which i think is because of the altitude. what im wondering is will this thing hate the altitude without a turbo? also is there any way to tell if my problem is a bad injector pump diaphragm? thanks,

It is probably just the altitude. I took my 84 BJ60 from Mexico up to visit friends in Sawpit and Norwood, and driving up the hill from Cortez I thought I was going to obscure the sun! I changed my i-pump diaphragm at my buddies shop in Norwood and it was a total waste of time. Still smoked like a bazzterd. You can set up the pump to work better at your altitude, but a turbo would really be best. ATX makes a complete kit. Google it up!

it's a 1985 Canadian bj70 with a fresh head, i live at 10,000 feet and its got a high idle and runs rich and smokey which i think is because of the altitude. what im wondering is will this thing hate the altitude without a turbo? also is there any way to tell if my problem is a bad injector pump diaphragm? thanks,
Silly question. It's a diesel--it virtually demands a turbo.

Everything about your engine is screaming for a turbo, especially up in Leadville.

Dan

Gun Runner 5

KI4CMQ
SILVER Star

Even an "old driver" needs a turbo at that altitude.:)
.......1978HJ45

Turbo...

You will be surprised of the BIG diffrents when you put on the turbo. I have done it, and it changed the joy of the truck.

:cheers:

I know this is OFF TOPIC , I have a Caterpillar C-15 compound turbo model it is rated for 10,007 FT service ceiling. Even 60 Lb boost compound motors have trouble at that altitude.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom