Camshaft Replacement Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the cam out of my 2F and the lobes and lifters are showing minor pitting. I'd like to replace the cam, but there is no way that I'm going to replace the cam bearings (motor is still in the rig, and there is no way it's coming out!).

Has anyone had any luck replacing a cam without replacing the cam bearings?

Generally speaking, would a re-ground camshaft have smaller diameter journals, or do they just polish them up? I don't see any mention of over-sized cam bearings in the FSM.

If I do replace the cam, I'd like to get a little more punch between 500 and 3000 rpm. I'm going to talk to Delta Cam in Tacoma, but I am not familiar with camshaft specs. For example, how do I interpret this:

262 duration,217 duration @ .050 with .430 lift
(https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=82083)

Any recommendations for lift and duration that would be beneficial for stock 2F (no intake, exhaust, or compression changes)?

Thanks!

Bump.

Any thoughts or answers to my questions above would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this rig back on the road this week! Thanks.

Not much help here other than I'd measure the current cam journals to be sure that the new cam has the same diameters. When I did mine, the machine shop sourced the cam and the bearings. I believe mine has the stock lift and duration. You might try a search on cams. Mark W has given some tips in the past regarding modified cams.

For example, how do I interpret this:

262 duration,217 duration @ .050 with .430 lift
(https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=82083)

262 is the "advertised" duration. Duration as an industry standard for aftermarket cams is usually measured at .050" lift so that numbers are comparable.

Any recommendations for lift and duration that would be beneficial for stock 2F (no intake, exhaust, or compression changes)?

Mark really has the most practical experience with the Delta Camshaft cams... When I talked to them about their "262" they described it as "spicy" with good low end and mid range. Their 250 makes power a little lower in the rpm range, basically from just above idle through the mid range.

If you're never going to change the intake, exhaust or compression maybe the 250 would be better? I'm not sure if the stock intake and exhaust become a bottleneck for the 262...

Thanks for the input. My cam is on it's way to Delta Cam for their RV grind (.255 lift, 215 @ .050). I'm not too worried about reusing my existing cam bearings because they only polish the journals and don't cut any metal. From what they say, this is a drop-in modification that should not required any other valvetrain modifications (e.g. valve springs).

I'm excited to see if I realize any performance gains out of this cam. Anyone with experience w/ a similar cam, please share your results.

I think the 6-2-1 header will be next :)

You will be pleased with Delta, they where great to work with. I had my cam reground to Mark W's specs. Haven't fired it up yet. Did you send them your lifters as well? They did an excellent job on mine. You will be fine with the original bearings, not ideal, but ok. Just make sure you use some good bearing lube and cam lube for start up.

I used the SOR cam. It made a noticeable improvment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom