Camping in Bridger-Teton National Forest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My wife and I are taking our kids to Hundreds in the Hills next July, and beforehand we want to spend a good chunk of time in the Yellowstone area. We were going to go to Yellowstone NP, but it is so crowded that we think it would take the joy out of it for us. So we are zeroing in on Bridger-Teton National Forest.

We have never spent any time there and have no context for a choosing among the almost 40 campgrounds or an area for dispersed camping in 3.4 million acres, so I am looking for advice on where to go. We place a premium on solitude and wildlife observation. I assuming that there will be good hiking just about anywhere we go, but good hiking is a plus.

In addition to advice on location, if know of good print or online resources for the area I would really appreciate those as well.

Anything near jackson will be crowded.

Go south a little bit to Afton. ;)

Or go south and east to the Wind Rivers. I hiked them for 3 weeks in highschool with NOLS, saw one person in that entire period.

I was just talking to a friend of mine who was a ranger in the Teton Wilderness for many years. He is recommending the Rosie's Ridge area. Are you familiar with Rosie's Ridge?

I was just talking to a friend of mine who was a ranger in the Teton Wilderness for many years. He is recommending the Rosie's Ridge area. Are you familiar with Rosie's Ridge?

Yes. It's not far from the Grand. By my definition it's crowded. That area is just pummeled in the summer.

Then I have no desire to be there. I don't even have to be close to Grand Teton or Yellowstone. I'm just looking for a little isolation.

If your hell bent on the Bridger Teton area, Afton and points east are for you. And like I said, the Wind Rivers.

Off topic...You don't see very many avatars with a supply and demand curve showing an increase in the "quanity demanded."

Thanks for the advice. If you know of less frequently visited area outside of Bridger Teton but in the Yellowstone greater ecosystem, I would be interested.

I'm a fan of the price system :)

Thanks for the advice. If you know of less frequently visited area outside of Bridger Teton but in the Yellowstone greater ecosystem, I would be interested.

I'm a fan of the price system :)

I don't. Every summer i have a board meeting in Jackson and do exploring to and from my meeting. Everywhere is crowded up there.

I am too a fan of the price system...
Masters of Economics - 04.

I don't. Every summer i have a board meeting in Jackson and do exploring to and from my meeting. Everywhere is crowded up there.

I am too a fan of the price system...
Masters of Economics - 04.

And a spelling bee champ to boot :beer:.

I studied economics at George Mason University, one of the few departments that is saturated in Austrian Economics. I started but never did complete a graduate degree. I still enjoy reading some of the classics.

My wife and I are taking our kids to Hundreds in the Hills next July, and beforehand we want to spend a good chunk of time in the Yellowstone area. We were going to go to Yellowstone NP, but it is so crowded that we think it would take the joy out of it for us. So we are zeroing in on Bridger-Teton National Forest.

We have never spent any time there and have no context for a choosing among the almost 40 campgrounds or an area for dispersed camping in 3.4 million acres, so I am looking for advice on where to go. We place a premium on solitude and wildlife observation. I assuming that there will be good hiking just about anywhere we go, but good hiking is a plus.

In addition to advice on location, if know of good print or online resources for the area I would really appreciate those as well.
may i suggest finding a topo map of the area, then find the steepest trails you can. that tends to weed out more of the riff-raff. where i wheel/camp i study old topos looking for cart trails then compare up to date maps. the further i get from the big centers , the bigger the chance that cart track is still a cart track. yup, i like solitude. n if it's without cell service, perfect!
enjoy your trip

Those are all good suggestions. I'm beginning to think that solitude in that part of the country during summer may be a fool's errand.

There are about 3 million people that go to that area each summer looking for solitude. It's an oxymoron up there. When you see lines of tourist busses for miles...it's not a remote place anymore.

There are a lot of secluded places in Wyoming that never see people outside of the jackson/cody area. I have a cabin, where If I see more than one truck a weekend, it was a busy weekend. Those however, will remain closely kept for the state's inhabitants own sanity.

I was in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area in Sept of 2019. Yellowstone was still a zoo at all the major attractions though.

Bridger-Teton National Forest is a great place to "try" and escape the massive crowds. If you turn into the Flagg Ranch near the northern end of the Bridger-Teton National Forest, there will be a road named "Grassy Lake Road" that leads off of the general store/restaurant/lodge parking lot. It is all dispersed camping along this road.
It is one of the area's where there will be "fewer" people than in the 2 main parks. The majority of tourists just blow on through wanting to be in either Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons.
I doubt very much that you'll be alone ................................. but it is certainly legions better than being in the 2 big parks.

Last edited:
I was in the Yellowstone/Grand Teton area in Sept of 2019. Yellowstone was still a zoo at all the major attractions though.

Bridger-Teton National Forest is a great place to "try" and escape the massive crowds. If you turn into the Flagg Ranch near the northern end of the Bridger-Teton National Forest, there will be a road named "Grassy Lake Road" that leads off of the general store/restaurant/lodge parking lot. It is all dispersed camping along this road.
It is one of the area's where there will be "fewer" people than in the 2 main parks. The majority of tourists just blow on through wanting to be in either Yellowstone or the Grand Tetons.
I doubt very much that you'll be alone ................................. but it is certainly legions better than being in the 2 big parks.
I was on Grassy Lake Road in Aug on my KTM, it is isolated and beautiful but the whole length is corrugated. Gets real old after 30 miles or so.

Also, if the west is dry bring a spare air filter, the dust is epic. And if dry, watch humidity, temp and wind. Fire danger is a concern.

I was on Grassy Lake Road in Aug on my KTM, it is isolated and beautiful but the whole length is corrugated. Gets real old after 30 miles or so.

Also, if the west is dry bring a spare air filter, the dust is epic. And if dry, watch humidity, temp and wind. Fire danger is a concern.

Yeah, sometimes it takes a good corrugated road to separate the Men from the general population. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom