Cam Position sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone! I’m new to the world of Landcruisers, coming from tacomas and 4Runners. Wanted something a little bigger for some good camping trips.

Bought a decent 1996 landcruiser, and have had nothing but smiles ever since. Until a few days ago. The truck would run perfectly fine, and then die. Then it would struggle to start back up. Eventually, it would turn on, but this could take a few minutes. I ran the codes, and all that came back was Crank Position sensor. So I bought one from Toyota, installed it, and it ran great for a day or two. Then, when I went to start it in the morning, it grinded. Almost like the starter was going out. Ordered and installed a new starter, went to start it, same problem. Would grind the starter before turning over and starting.

Finally, a new code came onto the dash. Cam Position sensor, P0340. Started looking into the service manual, and read up on how to check all the boxes off. I know for a fact it is not the wiring. Checked all of that.

My question is, can I replace just the

This help?

Ended up biting the bullet and just ordering a new Distributor Will update when i get it. Thanks everyone

In the past couple years I've seen multiple FZJ80's have the shielded wiring fail that goes from distributor sensor to the ECM. Had a couple where it ohm'd out fine, but when I put oscilloscope on the signal it was horrible. Replaced with new shielded wire and problem cured. Just be warned it's a huge project to replace that wire and route it the same way.

"I've seen multiple FZJ80's have the shielded wiring fail that goes from distributor sensor to the ECM."

Can you share more details ie: where/why/how did the wire fail (near the EGR pipe?) and could it be fixed (spliced) or did you have to replace the entire length of that wire (or the whole engine harness)??

"I've seen multiple FZJ80's have the shielded wiring fail that goes from distributor sensor to the ECM."

Can you share more details ie: where/why/how did the wire fail (near the EGR pipe?) and could it be fixed (spliced) or did you have to replace the entire length of that wire (or the whole engine harness)??

I can tell you the first time I saw it, it took all my spare time for a month to figure it out. I don't know where it failed at. It's a blue jacketed 4 strand shielded cable. I didn't want to take a chance splicing into it. When I found it was bad I ran a temporary cable through the passenger window and the problem was gone. I pulled the harness out of the firewall, but I didn't remove it from the engine. I just routed the new cable cleanly as best I could then cut open the harness where it goes through the firewall to add the new wire through the grommet. I spliced into the wires at the ECM connector. I taped it all back up with Tesa harness tape and no problems since.

In the past couple years I've seen multiple FZJ80's have the shielded wiring fail that goes from distributor sensor to the ECM. Had a couple where it ohm'd out fine, but when I put oscilloscope on the signal it was horrible. Replaced with new shielded wire and problem cured. Just be warned it's a huge project to replace that wire and route it the same way.
I am reallly hoping to avoid having to do this. I changed the distributor, did a 15 mile high way trip, and had no return of the CEL, and am hoping that it stays this way. I’ll find out tomorrow when I do more road testing.

When I say I’m really hoping to avoid this, I’ve sold more vehicles than I’d like to admit for having any wiring issues I don’t want to deal with lol

I can tell you the first time I saw it, it took all my spare time for a month to figure it out. I don't know where it failed at. It's a blue jacketed 4 strand shielded cable. I didn't want to take a chance splicing into it. When I found it was bad I ran a temporary cable through the passenger window and the problem was gone. I pulled the harness out of the firewall, but I didn't remove it from the engine. I just routed the new cable cleanly as best I could then cut open the harness where it goes through the firewall to add the new wire through the grommet. I spliced into the wires at the ECM connector. I taped it all back up with Tesa harness tape and no problems
I can tell you the first time I saw it, it took all my spare time for a month to figure it out. I don't know where it failed at. It's a blue jacketed 4 strand shielded cable. I didn't want to take a chance splicing into it. When I found it was bad I ran a temporary cable through the passenger window and the problem was gone. I pulled the harness out of the firewall, but I didn't remove it from the engine. I just routed the new cable cleanly as best I could then cut open the harness where it goes through the firewall to add the new wire through the grommet. I spliced into the wires at the ECM connector. I taped it all back up with Tesa harness tape and no problems since.
Any chance you remember what pin it is on the ECM? Can’t find a hood Ecm pin out

Any chance you have a link to the wiring diagram I could save for future reference? I have a feeling this isn’t going to be the last electrical gremlin I have.

Any chance you have a link to the wiring diagram I could save for future reference? I have a feeling this isn’t going to be the last electrical gremlin I have.

You guys are the greatest. Thank you so much! I’ll be pulling it up soon and trying to find it. Oscilloscope should be here Tuesday.

:popcorn::beer:

Lo and behold. Hoping it’s not this

645BEB65-72DE-4192-8D07-7A4582D24909.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom