California Title and Registration of Diesels (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

People with RVs, exotic/expensive cars, and those who hate CA registration costs often register their vehicles in Montana under an LLC where the vehicle is the only asset held by the LLC. There is a little industry around this practice (you can Google Montana vehicle registration with LLC for the details). I have not and do not plan on doing this, but my understanding is that registration of expensive cars is really cheap compared to CA (like $800 compared to thousands in CA for a car purchased in the six figures ) and there is no smog testing required for registration like there is in CA. I think there may be some vehicle insurance issues though and the CA DMV is hip to the practice and has a tip line for reporting these vehicles registered in a different state that are always on CA roads, so maybe consult with someone who has done it before or does it as a service so you have all the information you need and weigh your options.

Hey all,

Was looking into buying a Toyota Master Ace Surf that I saw in my area for a ski bum camper van build. However skimming through this thread has made me incredibly disappointed being in CA. I was wondering if any one had any experiences registering their diesel car in South Dakota like they do for cars they take to Baja or Tijuana? Does CHP give you hard time if you get pulled over with South Dakota plates?

Are you the guy who ran the taco surf account a few years back? Cool stuff.

As for the van, you could go the Montana/south Dakota route and it would probably be fine, but there's always a chance it could get popped at some point. Really uncommon, as they're mainly looking for people buying expensive RVs etc like the comment above says. There are a few hiaces and liteaces registered in the state, they come up for sale occasionally. and I just heard of a guy getting a diesel hilux through registration with the help of a broker of some sort. I can send you the number if you want to message me on here or on IG @calamar.i) . No clue if the guy is valid was just referred by someone on instagram

Yes you may get hassled. It is specially an issue if your neighbors rat you out. This is a real risk but lots of folks take it. The only other option is to pay $10k to CEE in Santa Ana and wait a few months to get it tested and modified.

Are you the guy who ran the taco surf account a few years back? Cool stuff.

As for the van, you could go the Montana/south Dakota route and it would probably be fine, but there's always a chance it could get popped at some point. Really uncommon, as they're mainly looking for people buying expensive RVs etc like the comment above says. There are a few hiaces and liteaces registered in the state, they come up for sale occasionally. and I just heard of a guy getting a diesel hilux through registration with the help of a broker of some sort. I can send you the number if you want to message me on here or on IG @calamar.i) . No clue if the guy is valid was just referred by someone on instagram
Haha nah, the username comes from the Model of the Van I'm looking at which is Toyota Master Ace Surf. Taco Surf is dope though!

Not sure if this is relevant.

I’m onto my 2nd 7x series in CA and decided to registered my 75 with permanent plates in Montana. This go around I didn’t bother to waste time and money with the CA DMV.

Montana at the moment doesn’t care what state your insurance covers. Hagerty doesn’t care what state your car is registered in.

Ball park cost was shy of $1k for the llc, temp tags, and permanent registration. ouch!

Not sure if this is relevant.

I’m onto my 2nd 7x series in CA and decided to registered my 75 with permanent plates in Montana. This go around I didn’t bother to waste time and money with the CA DMV.

Montana at the moment doesn’t care what state your insurance covers. Hagerty doesn’t care what state your car is registered in.

Ball park cost was shy of $1k for the llc, temp tags, and permanent registration. ouch!

This is what I did when my AZ reg expired a couple years ago. Did you just use one of those online registered agents?

Congratulations on the pickup! Looks like a beauty.

Thanks man!

I did use an online agent. Hit me up whenever you’re down San Diego, we can grab a drink.
@saltycoconuts have you brought your rigs out to any of the local shows? We are also in San Diego, not sure if we have ran into each other yet!

I can tell you there is a company near South San Francisco that sells/moves A LOT of JDM vehicles. And if you click on "other Ads for CL seller," they currently have over 10 other listings. The photos are local.
My buddy Norm, he’s in San Bruno, has a nice collection of vans and cruisers. Good guy.

Land Cruisers Direct has sold over a dozen vehicles into California with no problems. Check the regulations, vehicles previously titled and registered out of state can be titled and registered in California no problem. Most importers don't go through the extra step and expense of titling, they hand you a stack of paperwork and you have to get your own title in your own state. This is called direct import, which is a complicated and nearly impossible process in California. Land Cruisers Direct is different and provides you with a transferrable title valid in all 50 states.
Hi Steve

A lot of people are recommending me to you in regards getting my Toyota land cruiser imported into the states from middle east. Can you please let me know what is needed of me to get it imported and the necessary steps and i currently in California

Hi Steve

A lot of people are recommending me to you in regards getting my Toyota land cruiser imported into the states from middle east. Can you please let me know what is needed of me to get it imported and the necessary steps and i currently in California

Hi Steve

That was in 2015. Things changed in 2017 and it is no longer possible to register what Kalifornia calls a "grey market" vehicle without going through the state-granted monopoly in Santa Ana.

That was in 2015. Things changed in 2017 and it is no longer possible to register what Kalifornia calls a "grey market" vehicle without going through the state-granted monopoly in Santa Ana.
Yeah I heard about them .. is that a difficult process to go through after they release the vehicle from the port ? Or should I wait to get that cleared before sending the vehicle over

I haven't done the CBP process myself but I don't think there is any link between the CBP import process and the California testing process. There are a small number of threads I've seen on the forums where people worked with or tried to work with CEE on the California piece. I'd search those out and talk to someone who has done it.

But I wouldn't expect it to be easy on the California side. Expect it it be difficult (because you won't find many people at DMV or ARB that know how this process works) and expensive (because CEE can charge whatever they want).

Hey Fellas,

After reading through the last several pages of this thread, I just wanted to confirm with a 17 digit vin and a "conform to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards" vin plate, I wouldn't need to go to CHP for vin verification? Would that change anything in terms of trying to get the vehicle titled and registered in Cali...if I was trying to purchase a Canadian imported pre 1987 diesel LHD vehicle that has been titled and registered in Arizona for years now?

Or is it still considered a "direct import" these days? Vehicle even has a carfax report for whatever its worth. TIA!

I believe the important sticker/plate which is not present is the emissions sticker, not the FMVSS label.

CA Air Resources Board (CARB) is the wrench in the works for CA registration.

I believe the important sticker/plate which is not present is the emissions sticker, not the FMVSS label.

CA Air Resources Board (CARB) is the wrench in the works for CA registration.

That is my understanding as well. No Federal Emissions Sticker means no entry into the state without paying $10k+ to the state-granted monopoly (i.e. CEE in Santa Ana) for their "services".

Edit 1: since 2017. Before that there were a few other routes.

Edit 2: if your rig was previously registered in CA you may be able to bring it back in and get CA plates w/o additional inspections. So I've heard.

Last edited:
According to TopRank, a reputable importer:

“Vehicle has a 17 digit vin and a "conform to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards" vin plate. However as an Canadian import it doesn’t have the emissions label."

This is actually Canadian Federal standards. However since the vehicle is over 25 years old, its NHTSA exempt. Also over 21 so EPA exempt.

California we have our own EPA. California says you have to bring any direct import diesel vehicle 1980 or newer into EPA compliance first, before they can exempt it for smog. So even though your vehicle would be fine in 49 states, California says no. "Diesel vehicles - 1979 model year and older vehicles with original-equipment diesel engines are exempt from Direct Import lab testing requirements. Please note that any vehicle converted to operate on diesel fuel is subject to lab testing requirements if it is a 1968 model year vehicle or newer."

It would have to go to the lab, be tested, and then can be legally registered in California. The lab charges anywhere from $7500 to $15000 for California compliance testing. There is one lab in the world that can do it, and it leaves little to no other choice to be California legal.

So basically like discussed before, still a NO, sadly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom