California engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is the return line in a stock fuel tank big enough to be used without any mods? Anyone have a handy link to an LS swap with a stock tank?

I am doing a TBI conversion on my 72. Using a Tanks Inc fuel pump module. Has in tank pump and return line. Here it is setting in the tank.

20171220_131527.jpg

@Rusty 72 did you take pics and detail how you installed the pump?

I have an Aussie long range tank that will be getting an in-tank pump.

@Rusty 72 did you take pics and detail how you installed the pump?

I have an Aussie long range tank that will be getting an in-tank pump.

There are a few pic on my build page.

I could see spot welds on the outside of the tank where the baffles were. I used a wire to probe around the tank before drilling any holes. I marked those locations with tape. I placed the mounting plate on top of the tank and inside that area I drilled a small hole so I could positively locate both baffles and sump. After that I drilled the large hole. The tray on fuel pump was too long to fit so I had to take about an inch out, it hit the baffle. Everything fits good now. @Downey has a fuel pump module that has a smaller tray. The reason I did not use it was because I did not need the fuel gauge sending unit. If your tank needs a sending unit his module probably would be best.

There are a few pic on my build page.

-snip- The reason I did not use it was because I did not need the fuel gauge sending unit. If your tank needs a sending unit his module probably would be best.

Checked out your build, nice job on the tank. Are you keeping the stock fuel sender? I would be also. Downey''s also would need to keep the sender.

As far a know that engine is not 50 states legal.....
Also, the kit to install that engine under your rig just about doubles the price.... I'm thinking this is due to it being a new toy in the market place....

I installed a used Gen lll engine/ tranny from eBay.... some 11 years ago..... i have travel well over 130k on it..... All for 3k... !!

if it was to go out.. i would probably rebuild it, and, or put a late model LS in it..... that would be the cheapest and most practical thing to do.... these engines rock...

Retort, it is 50 state legal, ( disclaimer... California may insert an illegal alien trying to stop the 2.8).

The new harness will be standalone, and doesn’t integrate with the existing wiring.

To make the stock gauges work, you can put the temp & oil pressure senders from the old motor into the new one. The rest will still work.

For accurately checking of the vitals, you’ll want to put a scan gauge in the glove box or get an OBD dongle and a phone app.

The engine & transmission, harness (if you buy a new one), and adapter are the big ticket items. The rest adds up quickly!

One thing I forget to mention is I don't have a motor. Got the 40 without a motor so that's why I'm looking for options on engines

Look at LKQ Dismantlers, they are a nationwide chain. Some of the 4.8's can go real cheep.. if you hunt a little a good complete setup can be found for less than a grand.. gen 3 motors without dod, (displacement on demand) are the best ones to get, that started in late 2004, some were even cable throttle and not drive by wire. Lots of info out there on junkyard swaps on the cheep, learning a little can save you alot of money...

And if you do what White Stripe said, you'll still want the LS motor in the 1975-older frame.

About 10 days ago I made it down the street to the DMV contract shop and paid the fees on my 77 Fj40 that had been idle for several months as I added air compressor and other stuff. He says "you have to smog this". I know, says I. Paid the fees and went back the next day to get the trip permit and he handed me the tags. No smog required.

I'd use a stock tank and run the supply/return lines to an external low pressure pump feeding an under body sub-tank. An EFI pump in the sub-tank plus supply/return lines to the engine can be sized for the HP requirements of whatever engine is used. That way high pressure fuel is outside the cabin and the pump stays submerged in fuel for cooling as the main tank gets low or when off-camber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom