SOLD Calabasa, Ca: 1988 FJ62 Frame off restoration. AKA The Gold Surfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
Beige
Hey guys,

I am selling a 1988 FJ62 Toyota Land Cruiser for a friend in Southern California. It’s a beauty that has been through a frame-off restoration with a previous owner. It drives amazing and gets plenty of thumbs up along the way. It came from Japan straight to Florida where it has lived most of its life until the last couple of years. We have the original paperwork and warranty that came with the truck from the original buyer who traded in his Mazda in July of 1988 for this sweet 62. (Seems like he makes good decisions.) Along with all the paperwork from the service and goodies, it has received here in Southern California. When the current owner bought it, none of the smog stuff was intake, so the first thing he did was track down all the parts and have a shop go through it and make sure it could pass visual and a smog test. He had to add cats and just about everything. I think the previous owner de-smogged it when he refreshed the engine. But now it’s great for someone who needs to pass smog is in the Republic of California! :steer:

DSC03080.jpg

DSC03291.jpg

DSC03090.jpg

The current owner added White knuckle sliders, (I want them for mine), a bowfin roof rack, a Dobinson drawer system (Also really want), and some fresh 33” BFG KO2s. He also upgraded the radio to a double din touch screen pioneer that works killer. I am a big fan of that, but if you are not, he still has the stock head unit. Another thing he upgraded was the headlights, he went with what I think is one of the best options for the truck, JW Speaker LEDs. So you can actually see at night.

DSC03353.jpg

The entire truck has been sound deadened, it’s really quiet. Made me realize how bad I need to do this on my own 60. The AC blows super cold, and the SOR seat, headliner, and fresh carpet really make it feel nice and clean in the cab. He had the entire truck looked over multiple times by a great local cruiser shop. All the maintenance has been professionally done. The engine purs perfect. Plenty of power, the transmission shifts smoothly. No issues getting in and out of 4wd or 4lo.

DSC03042.jpg

I will be posting tons of photos and videos going through the truck and showing more details than I think most people would. But you know how I roll, If I would want to know about it as a buyer, you can bet I will show it as a seller. This thing is super clean and drives incredible. But it has some flaws just like any cruiser of its age.

Please ask me any questions here on the thread, send me a message and I can give you my number, you can also hit me up on Instagram. The reason the owner is selling it is he already has a vehicle that can do almost everything the 60 can do but more comfortably and at a faster speed. And for camping, he has moved to a trailer that is more spacious and comfortable, and for those who have been so lucky to pull with a 60 series know that it's not fun when a steep hill comes. He wants to keep it, but has a full driveway. We are posting on Ih8mud first as I usually do to make sure that it has a chance to go to someone who loves cruisers.

Asking 30k obo

• Vin: JT3FJ62GXJ0087142
  • Engine: 3FE 4.0 Inline six
  • Trans: Automatic
  • Clean California Title
  • Mileage on odometer 249,xxx
  • 10,000 miles on it after frame-off restoration
  • Glass out paint job
  • Passes Smog
  • New cats and smog equipment
  • Old Man Emu lift kit
  • White knuckle sliders
  • Bowfin Roof Rack
  • Dobinson Drawer System
  • JW Speaker Headlights
  • Upgraded Pioneer touchscreen Double-din Radio
  • 33” BFG KO2s with less than 2000 miles on them.
  • 80 Series Brake Booster
  • Marine Grade Vinyl Seats, Carpet and Headliner all from SOR (Specter Off-Road).
    Damplifier Butyl Backed Foil under Luxury Liner Mass Loaded Vinyl Sound Deadener from Second Skin.

I will be highlighting photos of this truck. But if you want to see the millions of photos I took of this beauty here is a link.
Gold Surfer 1988 FJ62 Toyota Land Crusier - https://photos.app.goo.gl/B7qC4R97GrF7ZmEWA

Last edited:
Whoa... RMR, This is a nice truck. And great post. I gotta talk to the wife quick...

She will probably steal it from you. My girlfriend didn't talk to me almost the whole drive back home because I didn't buy it (for her)

But just send me a PM after you talk to her. :princess:

I just got off the phone with a potential buyer, he said that he saw an ad using the same photos where the guy emailed him back and said his name was Jeffery Phillips. and he was asking 12k for it. SCAM.

THIS IS THE ONLY PLACE THIS HAS BEEN POSTED SO FAR.

I will update this thread with more info on where that fake ad is at. But please report any other ads on this truck.

I hate scammers. The real truck is in California, and I am the only person working with the owner on selling it.

Just want to keep someone safe from making a mistake.

You had me until the rust spots. Those are deeply worrisome in their positioning. You said
I have a theory on why these appeared after a Full respray.
Can you elaborate to possibly reduce concern?

Also I'm curious as to current ownership. It's not yours correct? Are you listing it for a friend? Thanks

You had me until the rust spots. Those are deeply worrisome in their positioning. You said

Also I'm curious as to current ownership. It's not yours correct? Are you listing it for a friend? Thanks
Second for additional details! When did the rust initially appear and what year was the car painted? The a-pillar is concerning given the video also shows rust on the exterior portion of the pillar. I suspect that area with the gutter and seams can be quite a challenge and costly to repair.

Yeah, I kinda did in that post that you quoted but I can do it again here because it's not sure obvious.

But my theory is that when they did the glass out paint job that they messed up masking in those spots. Specifically for the spot under the rear window on the passenger side. They noticed that there was a small piece of masking tape that got painted over when they did the paint job. When they pulled the tape, they looked under it and the original paint still had enough color left that they decided to clear over it instead of risking respraying the entire rear and having it match perfectly. I think being in two locations close to coastal air (Florida and California) might have some play in it as well. I have done a ton of research trying to gather more information on when it was done and who did it. I actually had the original person who did the frame off reach out. So I sent him some questions I had and to see if I could get some pictures and answers.

To answer the current ownership, I am not the owner. Just posting this for a friend who has had it since October of 2018.
Second for additional details! When did the rust initially appear and what year was the car painted? The a-pillar is concerning given the video also shows rust on the exterior portion of the pillar. I suspect that area with the gutter and seams can be quite a challenge and costly to repair.
I can't really answer when exactly the rust started to appear because the current owner just noticed the two smaller spots and I never noticed it until I did a serious inspection and took photos and videos. The A-pillar has just become more apparent in the last year. I dug at it to exposing it more to understand how serious it is (That's why some paint is missing, it could have been that they might have not painted that section when they did the respray because most people tape off that area. But I am reaching out to the person who did the restoration to get some clarity so I can give more information here for everyone. I talked with the current owner about it and the cost to repair it, and we adjusted the price accordingly so that someone can treat those areas if they would like to. In most environments, you can get away with treating the exposed rust and stop it from becoming a serious problem and run it how it is. I think a good body shop would be an easy fix and you can blend the paint.

This Restoration happened in 2015, so some time has gone by, and besides those places, I haven't seen any signs of surface rust or anything. I will be posting more information about it as it comes to me. Thank you for the questions!

I'm blown away by the amazing people I have met putting this on the market, I just got off the phone with the guy who did the restoration and I feel 100% confident in this truck.

I have a really good feeling all around about this cruiser and the people interested.

and with that....... SALE PENDING :beer:

Congrats on the purchase, this ride looks incredible. I'm a California transplant now in Northwest Arkansas myself, and looking for a 60 series. If you happen to need to part ways with this one, lmk!
Ryan, I have a friend who has a beautiful white one! Please send me a message.

Did this beautiful truck sell in Feb and transfer to TN? And now it’s back in CA for sale?

To my knowledge, it's happy living in TN. Did you see something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom