SOLD Calabasa, Ca: 1988 FJ62 Frame off restoration. AKA The Gold Surfer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 60 Series
Mileage
Color
Beige
Hey guys,

I am selling a 1988 FJ62 Toyota Land Cruiser for a friend in Southern California. It’s a beauty that has been through a frame-off restoration with a previous owner. It drives amazing and gets plenty of thumbs up along the way. It came from Japan straight to Florida where it has lived most of its life until the last couple of years. We have the original paperwork and warranty that came with the truck from the original buyer who traded in his Mazda in July of 1988 for this sweet 62. (Seems like he makes good decisions.) Along with all the paperwork from the service and goodies, it has received here in Southern California. When the current owner bought it, none of the smog stuff was intake, so the first thing he did was track down all the parts and have a shop go through it and make sure it could pass visual and a smog test. He had to add cats and just about everything. I think the previous owner de-smogged it when he refreshed the engine. But now it’s great for someone who needs to pass smog is in the Republic of California! :steer:

DSC03080.jpg

DSC03291.jpg

DSC03090.jpg

The current owner added White knuckle sliders, (I want them for mine), a bowfin roof rack, a Dobinson drawer system (Also really want), and some fresh 33” BFG KO2s. He also upgraded the radio to a double din touch screen pioneer that works killer. I am a big fan of that, but if you are not, he still has the stock head unit. Another thing he upgraded was the headlights, he went with what I think is one of the best options for the truck, JW Speaker LEDs. So you can actually see at night.

DSC03353.jpg

The entire truck has been sound deadened, it’s really quiet. Made me realize how bad I need to do this on my own 60. The AC blows super cold, and the SOR seat, headliner, and fresh carpet really make it feel nice and clean in the cab. He had the entire truck looked over multiple times by a great local cruiser shop. All the maintenance has been professionally done. The engine purs perfect. Plenty of power, the transmission shifts smoothly. No issues getting in and out of 4wd or 4lo.

DSC03042.jpg

I will be posting tons of photos and videos going through the truck and showing more details than I think most people would. But you know how I roll, If I would want to know about it as a buyer, you can bet I will show it as a seller. This thing is super clean and drives incredible. But it has some flaws just like any cruiser of its age.

Please ask me any questions here on the thread, send me a message and I can give you my number, you can also hit me up on Instagram. The reason the owner is selling it is he already has a vehicle that can do almost everything the 60 can do but more comfortably and at a faster speed. And for camping, he has moved to a trailer that is more spacious and comfortable, and for those who have been so lucky to pull with a 60 series know that it's not fun when a steep hill comes. He wants to keep it, but has a full driveway. We are posting on Ih8mud first as I usually do to make sure that it has a chance to go to someone who loves cruisers.

Asking 30k obo

• Vin: JT3FJ62GXJ0087142
  • Engine: 3FE 4.0 Inline six
  • Trans: Automatic
  • Clean California Title
  • Mileage on odometer 249,xxx
  • 10,000 miles on it after frame-off restoration
  • Glass out paint job
  • Passes Smog
  • New cats and smog equipment
  • Old Man Emu lift kit
  • White knuckle sliders
  • Bowfin Roof Rack
  • Dobinson Drawer System
  • JW Speaker Headlights
  • Upgraded Pioneer touchscreen Double-din Radio
  • 33” BFG KO2s with less than 2000 miles on them.
  • 80 Series Brake Booster
  • Marine Grade Vinyl Seats, Carpet and Headliner all from SOR (Specter Off-Road).
    Damplifier Butyl Backed Foil under Luxury Liner Mass Loaded Vinyl Sound Deadener from Second Skin.

I will be highlighting photos of this truck. But if you want to see the millions of photos I took of this beauty here is a link.
Gold Surfer 1988 FJ62 Toyota Land Crusier - https://photos.app.goo.gl/B7qC4R97GrF7ZmEWA

Last edited:
Here is a description from the sale ad from when it was sold by the previous owner who did the frame-off restoration.

“I've owned this Cruiser for the past 5 years and spent the last 4 years restoring it. At first I was just going to fix a few paint issues, put a mild lift and tires on it and enjoy driving it. But then, my OCD kicked in and it got out of hand. Now I have, without question, one of the finest FJ62s in the country. My goal by the end was to have a vehicle that looked like it would have if I bought it in 1988. No crazy upgraded stereos or engine swaps to an american motor and use every available OEM on the market. I think the finished product is a true classic.
This resto has zero rust and was taken down to the frame which was blasted and rust protected. Then an OME (Old Man Emu) Heavy Spring 3 inch lift was added. All new OEM body mounts including bolts and washers. All axles, under-body components, and possible engine bay components were blasted and powder-coated. Engine was torn down to clean, evaluate and address any issues (which were very few). All gaskets, seals and plugs replaced. Intake was chemically stripped of all carbon and refinished. Entire cooling system including water pump (OEM) and radiator replaced. New Denso AC condenser and full system flush and recharge. Brakes are all new calipers, drums, rotors, pads and shoes. New OEM 80 series brake booster and master cylinder set up. Hubs rebuilt. Gas tank was hot tanked and refurbished to new condition with new OEM fuel pump installed.All new exhaust from the down-pipe back, routed to factory spec with factory style cats and muffler.
Exterior and under-body were completely repainted factory color with all glass and trim removed. All skid plates and under-body protection was refurbished and installed. New OEM License Plate Assembly, Hood Liner and all exterior emblems. New Grill and Headlight Trim from CCOT (Cool Cruisers of Texas). Original chrome rims in very good condition with five new 33 inch BFG MTs. New windshield and all new window rubber including rear side and back glass seals. All rear hatch springs and hardware were blasted a re-zinc plated in the factory finish.
Interior was completely stripped out and cleaned and then applied Damplifier Butyl Backed Foil underneath Luxury Liner Mass Loaded Vinyl Sound Deadener from Second Skin. Brand new interior including This car runs and drives impeccably. You can't get down the road without someone trying to stop and ask what it is or talk to you about how it looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Of course for me with my OCD, I always know there's something more I could do to make it nicer. Just remember, this is a 30 year old classic and there are always flaws. This is not a Concourse Show vehicle, but it cold definitely place or win, in any local or regional show. There is one flaw in the paint by the rear passenger side window that no one will notice but me and maybe the next person that owns it. Its about a one inch long spot that I peeled tape off of when it was delivered back from the body shop. Rather than repaint the quarter panel and risk not getting it right, I had them just re-clear the spot because the color was still there.I will get a pic and post it soon or email is to anyone interested.
I can't think of anything else to share with you but I am happy to speak with any serious prospective buyers and answer any questions.”

Some photos from that ad. (If anyone knows of a build thread I couldn't dig one up, but I would love to see it)
1988-toyota-landcruiser-fj62-fresh-frame-off-restoration-7.jpg
1988-toyota-landcruiser-fj62-fresh-frame-off-restoration-5.jpg
1988-toyota-landcruiser-fj62-fresh-frame-off-restoration-2.jpg
1988-toyota-landcruiser-fj62-fresh-frame-off-restoration-8.jpg
1988-toyota-landcruiser-fj62-fresh-frame-off-restoration-6.jpg

Last edited:
Some spare smog equipment as well as some de smog pulleys that he took off. Comes with some new mudflaps, old head unit, headlights, some random pieces, and a super nice custom car cover from California Car Covers (Really well built and fits nice.)
DSC02970.jpg
DSC02972.jpg
DSC02975.jpg
DSC02976.jpg
DSC03361.jpg

Beautiful truck! Great presentation too. GLWS.
Thank you! I will be posting more tonight showing the interior and the underbelly. Videos show everything but I like looking at photos just like everyone else 😉

Excellent post. Clean truck! GLWS

Next, I want to cover the small rust spots. I have a theory on why these appeared after a Full respray. There is one small 1" bubble below the rear passenger window where there was quoted to be a blemish before when it was painted. This is from the post with the info from the PO who did the frame-off resto. I think its surface level, I treated the same thing on my 60. A good paint guy could blend it back in.

There is one flaw in the paint by the rear passenger side window that no one will notice but me and maybe the next person that owns it. Its about a one inch long spot that I peeled tape off of when it was delivered back from the body shop. Rather than repaint the quarter panel and risk not getting it right, I had them just re-clear the spot because the color was still there.
C0017T01.jpg

There is a spot on the passenger A-pillar that I dug into while I was there that was also surface-level rust. Again something that could be fixed easily and painted without noticing. (I will post a better picture of that. But you can see it really well in the walk-around video.)
C0019T01.jpg

And the last small spot is on the driver's side under the windshield. A common one. This truck goes to the beach but the owner is really religious about getting it cleaned and even spraying off his surfboards before putting it on the rack. Hasn't really left the pavement. Just enjoyed and taken care of.
DSC03014.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom