CA Smog legal 5.3 ls computer program (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So getting ready to get the computer programmed for my 5.3 swap. I know I need to get rid of VATS, but what else needs to be done to make it function. I know all sensors need to work. What does the Referee look at? Any help would be great

So getting ready to get the computer programmed for my 5.3 swap. I know I need to get rid of VATS, but what else needs to be done to make it function. I know all sensors need to work. What does the Referee look at? Any help would be great

If you have all of the required emissions equipment that they will be checking for then VATS should be the only thing that needs to be removed.

When I went through the process for a previous car years ago they did not care that I had flashed the ECM and had VATS removed. However I did hear recently from a mechanic friend that recently another ref in the area wouldn't even touch an ECM that had been flashed, period, and required an OEM flash from dealer before he would inspect the vehicle.

It really depends on your ref on the experience you will have, but it may be worth getting a cheap ~$20 VATS bypass module instead of flashing the ECM. Note, I have no experience with these modules but it seems like a good way to make sure that the ECM isn't modified and that there will be no posted codes when you go in for your inspection.

I think all the members of mud that live in California need a ref in their pockets or become one them selves how hard can it be... :flush: :meh:

Any updates on how things went? I'm planning on starting a swap on my 80 and live in CA also.

I'm about to get into that mission myself.
I haven't started yet but want to have an idea of where I can source all the needed information.

I spoke with a ref briefly, he gave me hope in the swap. the only thing I didn't like was that the pcm needs to be done by the dealership and I was wondering on the VATS situation that you're in.
is there may be a company that could do a bypass for that?

thanks man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom