Bypassing the bypass (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The previous owner of my rig removed the bypass hose from the thermostat to the water pump. I’ve got plugs on the thermostat and water pump where the hose would normally go. Saw it when I bought it so have been very cautious on engine temp. Everything runs great no overheating but the hoses are in need of replacement. Should I put the bypass hose back in or leave it as is? Anyone else bypassing the bypass?

It might help if you posted a picture of what you're working with.

F856B11A-9C8B-49DE-A9D2-F35450A0D11D.jpeg

I’d put the bypass back in. If for no other reason, I’d be worried about those bursting.

I replaced mine a few months ago. Very easy job and the hose was less than $20 from cruiser corps.

I'm guessing your thermostat has been removed. It's the only reason I can think of to block off the bypass. The T-stats in these rigs don't simply close when temperature is lower than design temperature. They close off flow to engine and at the same time open the bypass so flow by the pump continues through the radiator but not through the engine.
EDIT:
Sorry but I was wrong. When the T-stat closes and opens the bypass, The water is recirculated through the engine and the radiator is bypassed.

If your T-stat is still in there, then when it closes, the bypass is blocked and the pump is dead headed.
"HERE" is some info related to what your PO may have been trying to achieve.

Last edited:
If the thermostat bypass plumbing is disabled, coolant doesn’t flow through the engine while the thermostat is closed.
That’s going to make for a weird and uneven engine warm up as the coolant is standing still in the engine before the thermostat eventually opens (late).

If the thermostat bypass plumbing is disabled, coolant doesn’t flow through the engine while the thermostat is closed.
That’s going to make for a weird and uneven engine warm up as the coolant is standing still in the engine before the thermostat eventually opens (late).
Yikes! you're right and I was thinking wrong. I've got to edit my post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom