Buying OEM shocks, parts list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry newbie here, looking at changing out my shocks which are not currently OEM. Do you need 6 washers and 2 flange with each shock? Or is it for the front set? Also, does anyone know the part number for the top bolt? The part number I keep finding says it has been discontinued. Thanks for any help!

You need 8 washers, four on each side: six are flat and two are flanged to register into the frame mount.

The top nut comes with the new shock. The bottom bolt is reused.

Good to know. I am looking at doing the front shocks first, then the rears. I have a 22 mm ratcheting wrench so hopefully I won't have to drill holes. Do you know if the nut is included on the front shocks? I would assume, but that usually gets me in trouble.

Good to know. I am looking at doing the front shocks first, then the rears. I have a 22 mm ratcheting wrench so hopefully I won't have to drill holes. Do you know if the nut is included on the front shocks? I would assume, but that usually gets me in trouble.

Almost certain the nut comes with the shock. Rubber bushings too, but never the washers (Toyota calls them "retainers").

Details & pics here: YotaMD.com - Toyota - UZJ100 Land Cruiser - Front Shocks

OEM shocks do not have a built-in spacer where the upper shock body meets the shaft. The metal washer rests directly against the top of the upper shock body.

OEM shocks have a ledge at the bottom of the nut threading. This is to prevent over-compression of the rubber bushings during assembly. As a result their shafts are larger.

The OEM metal washers (and bushings) have larger holes to fit over the larger shafts. Some aftermarket shocks have no ledge, thinner shafts, and smaller holes on the washers.

OEM washers are not included with new shocks, and often need to be re-purchased when going back to OEM shocks since the aftermarket washers in the mechanic’s hand won’t fit anymore. Bummer, because the OEM washers are expensive and you need 16 of them.
F8A9D2FA-1155-4E1C-8741-8CA72EFFCCE7.jpeg
20B2922A-8987-4652-A6A1-B7984E29B225.jpeg

Last edited:
They used to have the spacer, now they don't.
OEM shocks do not have a built-in spacer where the upper shock body meets the shaft. The metal washer rests directly against the top of the upper shock body.

OEM shocks have a ledge at the bottom of the nut threading. This is to prevent over-compression of the rubber bushings during assembly. As a result their shafts are larger.

The OEM metal washers (and bushings) have larger holes to fit over the larger shafts. Some aftermarket shocks have no ledge, thinner shafts, and smaller holes on the washers.

OEM washers are not included with new shocks, and often need to be re-purchased when going back to OEM shocks since the aftermarket washers in the mechanic’s hand won’t fit anymore. Bummer, because the OEM washers are expensive and you need 16 of them.
View attachment 2564285View attachment 2564286

20210124_210550.jpg

Yes, they certainly are expensive! I think I spent as much on the spacers as I did on the OEM shocks. I was shocked LOL

View attachment 2564285View attachment 2564286
This helps, thanks!

Was holding the old shock and the new one like a caveman as I compared and pondered missing hardware and washers.

This helps, thanks!

Was holding the old shock and the new one like a caveman as I compared and pondered missing hardware and washers.
Was able to buy the hardware from the stealership. Even with a discount I spent $235.

Conclusion, if you remove oem shocks save the hardware, it’s worth its weight in gold apparently.

DF62A535-2EB5-4B06-980F-5A3765E71EC5.jpeg

Was able to buy the hardware from the stealership. Even with a discount I spent $235.

Conclusion, if you remove oem shocks save the hardware, it’s worth its weight in gold apparently.

Unless there's bad rust you reuse the old. Even on an LX there's some of the old washers that can be reused. Btw, Partsouq prices are well less than half of even a discounted U.S. dealer, and might be faster too. Stock up on $5 heater Ts and alternator brushes the savings there will cover the freight.

Unless there's bad rust you reuse the old. Even on an LX there's some of the old washers that can be reused. Btw, Partsouq prices are well less than half of even a discounted U.S. dealer, and might be faster too. Stock up on $5 heater Ts and alternator brushes the savings there will cover the freight.
I ended up replacing non oem shocks, unfortunately none of the hardware was workable.

My rig (1999 100 series) has approximately 15mm difference in height between the rear passenger and driver fender wells.

I measured both eibach springs with a level on a level surface with no difference found in height (prior to install). I was not totally surprised at the variance post install.

My solution will be to add a 15mm spacer on the offending lower side.

That was the bad, for the good…

I love the ride:
-new oem shocks from Toyota
-freedom off-road UCA’s
-shock extensions from David Stedman @ Japan4x4 (stedman@japan4x4.com)
-Eibach springs in the rear
-Stock T bars cranked 85%

-Front height from center cap 22-3/4” approx
-Rear height from center cap 23-1/4” low side (high side 23-3/4” approx.)

Ride is flat, predictable and oem-plush with minimal body roll.

I’m in Florida so it will be a minute before she gets any trail time.

Will try to share some thoughts down the road.

Zero regrets….

4AF7464E-3457-47C4-83A2-A2DA89312D63.jpeg

738FF528-B262-4CC8-9C94-D695F26CA562.jpeg

AD6ACE8D-D4D8-4145-9464-81160AB4FA07.jpeg

5C7EC87C-D0B2-4017-AC5C-3E895D528930.jpeg

View attachment 2952520

Did all of this hardware work? I am doing the same thing, but am getting a lot of part numbers that vary from this list when looking on dealer websites.

Did all of this hardware work? I am doing the same thing, but am getting a lot of part numbers that vary from this list when looking on dealer websites.
Yes all the parts worked well. IMHO if you can extend with shock extensions and use the oem shocks like I did, go for it. I got a decent lift with plush ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom