Buying OEM shocks, parts list (1 Viewer)

Ayune

SILVER Star
Sorry newbie here, looking at changing out my shocks which are not currently OEM. Do you need 6 washers and 2 flange with each shock? Or is it for the front set? Also, does anyone know the part number for the top bolt? The part number I keep finding says it has been discontinued. Thanks for any help!

You need 8 washers, four on each side: six are flat and two are flanged to register into the frame mount.

The top nut comes with the new shock. The bottom bolt is reused.

Good to know. I am looking at doing the front shocks first, then the rears. I have a 22 mm ratcheting wrench so hopefully I won't have to drill holes. Do you know if the nut is included on the front shocks? I would assume, but that usually gets me in trouble.

Ayune

SILVER Star
Good to know. I am looking at doing the front shocks first, then the rears. I have a 22 mm ratcheting wrench so hopefully I won't have to drill holes. Do you know if the nut is included on the front shocks? I would assume, but that usually gets me in trouble.

Almost certain the nut comes with the shock. Rubber bushings too, but never the washers (Toyota calls them "retainers").

Details & pics here: YotaMD.com - Toyota - UZJ100 Land Cruiser - Front Shocks

Ayune

SILVER Star
OEM shocks do not have a built-in spacer where the upper shock body meets the shaft. The metal washer rests directly against the top of the upper shock body.

OEM shocks have a ledge at the bottom of the nut threading. This is to prevent over-compression of the rubber bushings during assembly. As a result their shafts are larger.

The OEM metal washers (and bushings) have larger holes to fit over the larger shafts. Some aftermarket shocks have no ledge, thinner shafts, and smaller holes on the washers.

OEM washers are not included with new shocks, and often need to be re-purchased when going back to OEM shocks since the aftermarket washers in the mechanic’s hand won’t fit anymore. Bummer, because the OEM washers are expensive and you need 16 of them.
F8A9D2FA-1155-4E1C-8741-8CA72EFFCCE7.jpeg
20B2922A-8987-4652-A6A1-B7984E29B225.jpeg

Last edited:
They used to have the spacer, now they don't.
OEM shocks do not have a built-in spacer where the upper shock body meets the shaft. The metal washer rests directly against the top of the upper shock body.

OEM shocks have a ledge at the bottom of the nut threading. This is to prevent over-compression of the rubber bushings during assembly. As a result their shafts are larger.

The OEM metal washers (and bushings) have larger holes to fit over the larger shafts. Some aftermarket shocks have no ledge, thinner shafts, and smaller holes on the washers.

OEM washers are not included with new shocks, and often need to be re-purchased when going back to OEM shocks since the aftermarket washers in the mechanic’s hand won’t fit anymore. Bummer, because the OEM washers are expensive and you need 16 of them.
View attachment 2564285View attachment 2564286

20210124_210550.jpg

Yes, they certainly are expensive! I think I spent as much on the spacers as I did on the OEM shocks. I was shocked LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom