Buying OEM shocks, parts list (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to replace the shocks on my '00 Cruiser. Are there other parts I should buy in addition to the shocks?

Which online vendor has a good parts fiche of the LC?

Thanks, Mike

I have an LX so I don't know what other parts you might need but when buying parts to baseline my 100, i've used my local dealer for small dollar items or items I need asap or Camelback for parts I need that I plan for.

OK, just checked Camelback and it looks like they sell the shocks in a kit.

rearehock.jpg

For some reason shocks are dirt cheap on these vehicles. Everything else is expensive. You can get them for like $40 for OEM, make sure you get new bushing and top nut as well. Chances are your top nut will break or be in very bad shape.

I'd replace all 4 shocks, 4 sway bar links and bushing. the ride will improve a lot, check your CVs and inspect the axle bearing/nut. Mine was completely loose when i checked it.

I work in Herndon, are you in Aldie?

Yes, I'm in Aldie.

Sorry for the stupid question. Seems like most people recommend OEM shocks for regular road driving/comfort. What brand are OEM shocks? Is that just whatever the cheapest option is at AutoZone? Or is there a specific brand that has the feel that these OEM shocks have that you're referring to?

Sorry for the stupid question. Seems like most people recommend OEM shocks for regular road driving/comfort. What brand are OEM shocks? Is that just whatever the cheapest option is at AutoZone? Or is there a specific brand that has the feel that these OEM shocks have that you're referring to?
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer

Or in our case, Toyota

All good info above. I buy my oem toyota shocks from camelback Toyota also and it appears they are made by Tokico (name stamped into the steel). They are so inexpensive I replace at least the fronts every 15k or so.

You can buy a flex head ratcheting 22 mm wrench on fleabay for under $20 delivered to get the rear shocks off. No need to take the spare off either. You will need some large channel locks to hold the shock from spinning m.

All good info above. I buy my oem toyota shocks from camelback Toyota also and it appears they are made by Tokico (name stamped into the steel). They are so inexpensive I replace at least the fronts every 15k or so.

every 15k miles you replace your front shocks?!

FYI, bushing washers do not come with the shocks and they ain't cheap. Not a wear item, but if you've had aftermarket shocks mounted in the past then the OEM washers may have been replaced with smaller I.D. washers and they won't fit OEM upper shafts.

If you need OEM washers you'll need six of P/N 9094802173 (plain) and two of P/N 9094802170 (with flange that registers into frame mount).

every 15k miles you replace your front shocks?!

true. My last 100 I had Bilsteins for 100k. I really didnt like them, even brand new.

My new to me rig I went oem the week I bought it and liked it much better. I have changed them twice since.

Someone here on one of the shock threads a long time ago said "oem is great, they just don't last very long". I had never really thought about it, but I do notice a difference in ride quality by 15k miles or so. At a cost of about $70 total, and about an hour of work, it is totally worth it to me. I do a lot of city driving and the roads in Wisconsin are not great.

do new black tokicos have this welded nut on the shaft? anyone know that has one sitting around?
shock top.jpg

Just got oem front shocks from the Toyota dealer. Took them to my mechanic and this is what we have. That top disk thing doesn't fit. The new shock has a lip that the old doesn't. What gives?

9BDCA39E-B58C-4D8E-A3B1-74A367A6CB8C.jpeg

Just got oem front shocks from the Toyota dealer. Took them to my mechanic and this is what we have. That top disk thing doesn't fit. The new shock has a lip that the old doesn't. What gives?

View attachment 1638817
It’s likely the current shocks you pulled off are not OEM, do they have Toyota markings? The top nut and bushings are specific to the Toyota shock as @Ayune mentioned previously:
FYI, bushing washers do not come with the shocks and they ain't cheap. Not a wear item, but if you've had aftermarket shocks mounted in the past then the OEM washers may have been replaced with smaller I.D. washers and they won't fit OEM upper shafts.

If you need OEM washers you'll need six of P/N 9094802173 (plain) and two of P/N 9094802170 (with flange that registers into frame mount).

Yes I see now. They were stamped Made in USA. My mechanic just had to file through that metal washer bushing thing a bit to get it to slide down on the new shocks. I only changed the front ones, but they do feel a bit smoother. I need to drive it more to really feel the difference, and replace the rear ones too. The old front ones were really shot.

This. x100. Interwebz take note, if you find this thread in the future, make sure you order these washers if you are coming from aftermarket shocks. You will need them, they aren’t cheap, and Toyota doesn’t do the best job specifying that you need them in the parts diagram.

This. x100. Interwebz take note, if you find this thread in the future, make sure you order these washers if you are coming from aftermarket shocks. You will need them, they aren’t cheap, and Toyota doesn’t do the best job specifying that you need them in the parts diagram.

I actually ordered mine from Partsouq in UAE for $4.56/ea. Shipped to me in Portland was still much cheaper than any stateside source.

Sorry newbie here, looking at changing out my shocks which are not currently OEM. Do you need 6 washers and 2 flange with each shock? Or is it for the front set? Also, does anyone know the part number for the top bolt? The part number I keep finding says it has been discontinued. Thanks for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom