Building a 2H (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry, I don't. But as far as I'm aware, compatibility largely depends on year of manufacture. There were some early/later spline differences, but I can't be more specific. If I had to guess though, I would suspect your early H42 would not mate up to the later H55F. When I have a chance I'll do some digging to see if I can find more concrete information for you.

Sorry, I don't. But as far as I'm aware, compatibility largely depends on year of manufacture. There were some early/later spline differences, but I can't be more specific. If I had to guess though, I would suspect your early H42 would not mate up to the later H55F. When I have a chance I'll do some digging to see if I can find more concrete information for you.

Thanks, here is the donor truck info if that helps. Im pretty sure it is an early 2H
Donor VIN.JPG

What year build is the 60? As far as I recall, 2H will exchange with 2F, but the B diesels have a different input shaft

I know what I'm trying to do is a downgrade from just swapping the 5 speed and split case, but it's only temporary until I rebuild them. When I pull the 2F I will compare the bell housing and clutch assembly with the back of the 2H

Any updates?
Yeah only a few minor things as I have been distracted pulling apart the tcase and h55.
I started stripping down the accessories and pulling off parts for cleaning and plating. The goal is to start it out of the truck to catch any major issues before I begin the swap.
For simplicity sake I am going to pull the 2f out and drop in the 2h without p/s or ac and keep the 4spd and tacse in while I finish those.

PXL_20210106_232815578.jpg
PXL_20210106_220944604.jpg
PXL_20201228_032202492.jpg
PXL_20201223_040321798.jpg

Also regarding the glow system, doe anyone know the most simple way to run it. I know the intake has some temp sensors on it to adjust current relative to temp.
Can the system be run manually by just hold a switch for ~10 sec or whatever?

PXL_20201230_020614456.jpg

You guys convinced me to go all the way and paint the block... I ended up pulling off the fuel pump, cam, timing gears and oil pump. I figured if its taken apart this far might as well do the last 10%. The second round of plated parts is back and I have all the seals and gaskets needed to reassemble everything! now the fun begins!

PXL_20211020_214920581.jpg
PXL_20211020_215437825.jpg
PXL_20211020_215229200.jpg
PXL_20211020_215128753.jpg
PXL_20211020_215043869.jpg

Curious to see any progress you’ve made since the last update. Very promising start!

This looks lovely! You know, I am having such a hard time finding a local plater. I have a spare 2H that I bought to rebuild and keep as exactly that... a spare! My 2H is currently turbocharged, I built a turbo kit from scratch. Wasn't planning to do that, so when I rebuilt my current engine, I did not upgrade the pistons. I am running 7 psi, enough to make a huge difference. Anyway, everyone is saying how great the 12HT is, and it is, do not get me wrong, but the 2H is a great engine. It's really just a 12ht with indirect injection, lacking piston oilers, that is all. Actually I should say the 12HT is really a 2H with direct injection and turbo. In fact, if you inspect the block, you can see how Toyota knew that the 2H was going to be upgraded and the piston oiler provisions are there. The turbo oil feed and return provisions are also there on the block, just not drilled and tapped. Anyway, I am watching your thread as I want to see that engine in all it's glory once done.
Great work buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom