Bush Alpha vs Alucab vs Terrapod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just posted my review (5-night trip thru TX, NM, CO and UT and then back) of the Terrapod on the Terrapod thread in this same forum.

If I ever do it, it will likely be something like the iKamper 2.0. Plenty of extra room and you don't sacrifice all of that foot (or head) room like you do with the wedge campers. Footprint of a softshell but hardshell package, seems like the best of both worlds.

If I ever do it, it will likely be something like the iKamper 2.0. Plenty of extra room and you don't sacrifice all of that foot (or head) room like you do with the wedge campers. Footprint of a softshell but hardshell package, seems like the best of both worlds.
one of my main gripes of soft shell tents was that the break in the floor when folding exposes your matress and bedding to the elements. It took one morning packing up in the rain for me to go home and purchase a clamshell hardshell that day.

The only reason I could ever recommend anything but a hard clamshell would be if you need the bed real estate of a large soft shell, in which case iKamper it is

I've never seen inside an iKamper but the design looks intriguing. As far as the Terrapod RTTx is concerned, two full-sized adults can sleep in it with plenty of space for gear/clothes, and the clamshell is incredibly watertight. We drove through some very heavy storms on the way to Colorado going 60-75 MPH and there wasn't a drop of moisture on the tent fabric, that was very impressive and speaks to the very tight tolerances in the Terrapod manufacturing process.

The Alu-Cab ladder is worth the investment. Super sturdy, angled steps that are wide, secure attachment. My size 12 flip flops for
1628979715227.jpeg

1628979660055.jpeg

Nice! Could you take a picture of how it mounts to your RTT? I would have to modify it to work on mine.

1629037251645.jpeg

pins slide in to a supplied bracket that mounts to your tent or rack. Slides left to right. Big pin and small pin. Only fits one way

One thing that is different I'm not sure people realize, the panels on the Terrapod are not thin fiberglass. They are a honeycomb composite that is about an inch thick and very strong, which is why they insulate well and you can stand on them (I'm 200-ish pounds) and the frame is all rectangular aluminum tubing (not open section). All of that contributes to both the light weight and the strength.

Yeah, these panels are unlike anything else I have seen. It reminds me of coroplast sheets but way thicker and much much stronger. As an current owner of a terrapod tent, I can attest to the fact they are light and strong tents overall.

I just posted my review (5-night trip thru TX, NM, CO and UT and then back) of the Terrapod on the Terrapod thread in this same forum.
Henry, does it come with a pad inside?

So much good info in here, thanks! Quick question, how is the width with all three (Bush, ALu, Terra)? I have concerns about having it extend out too much on my 100. Ideally looking to keep as tight a profile as possible.

The Terrapod is 54” wide with a 5” tall body when closed. 54” is a pretty common width with RTTs. Found this 100 series on the internet. Not sure if he’s a mud member, but looks well balanced IMO
548C9454-262B-4588-BDB9-09C1FCA4C51F.jpeg

I have the Alu-Cab. I added 1" foam on top of the mattress. I bought a queen sheet and wrapped it around the foam and the mattress and it stays in the tent.

I also replaced the ladder with a telescoping one from Amazon.

Set up and tear down is super fast which is why I bought this and gave my daughter my CVT RTT. Likely the same with all 3 you mentioned

The weight didnt bother me or the brick on top from the wind dynamics

I have only used the Alu-Cab so cant comment on those but am real happy

I like to be able put it on and take it off myself. Of course having 8 ft garage doors help. I installed an Aux-Lift to my garage ceiling which is motorized

IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0326.JPEG
IMG_0510.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_0196.jpg

I strongly considered a terrapod when I got my 2nd RTT (first was a tepi). It wasn’t an option due to availability and shipping to AK last summer so I got an iKamper mini. Really awesome RTT. 2 summers now and we’ve used it all over Alaska. Last month is some of the worst weather yet. Up above Fairbanks into the Brooks range. 5 days never got above the 40sF with close to constant rain and some snow. One night we had 40-50 mph winds with hard rain.

Only other words of wisdom. With most things I get whatever I think I need then add more (like with the 200) with RTTs I feel like get the smallest you can get away with. And smaller tents are warmer. We put me and my two teens just fine in the 2 person mini. Also Weight matters. Unless you have an oversized garage door and can have an above the truck hoist or at least 3 people to help you anything over ~150lbs is going to be a huge PITA.

47BD05AD-4416-4433-AA06-BFDDFFF9F3E1.jpeg

36BF8D15-4CFC-43B0-A19F-A164EEABA981.jpeg

Went Alu Cab route but also liked the Busch Company Alpha as well.

34ECF6EC-759E-4B37-B488-45E2A98E19DC.jpeg

14D12937-4A1B-41C9-856C-1C2076D3533A.jpeg

Henry, does it come with a pad inside?

Yessir. We have partnered with Exped to provide a super comfy mattress.

Great questions here. Love it!

Some items for consideration:

- All Terrapod tents are built to order. That means - it's not sitting on a shelf. It's built for you.
- We took into account all things functional. Weight, aero, material choices, the lot. We wanted to make sure this tent performed in the worst conditions.
- We tested them to prove they worked and to make them better.
- Lastly, we challenge any RTT group to show us their tent can also take a hit from a falling 8 foot long, 40+lb limb (when deployed) and survive without taking major damage to the occupants or the primary structure.

Real world testing. Real world results. We believed it was time for a properly tough RTT. Not BS.

Thanks for all the kudos. We really appreciate all the feedback. If any of you have questions, do not hesitate to reach out. I am happy to answer any you might have. Cheers.

Yessir. We have partnered with Exped to provide a super comfy mattress.

Upvote for partnering with Exped on the mattress.

Too many vendors sell a $4k roof top tent and provide the cheapest most uncomfortable lawn furniture packing foam mattress.

-speaking as an Alu-cab Gen 3 owner.

Upvote for partnering with Exped on the mattress.

Too many vendors sell a $4k roof top tent and provide the cheapest most uncomfortable lawn furniture packing foam mattress.

-speaking as an Alu-cab Gen 3 owner.

You're speaking our language my friend. This is precisely the reason we partnered. 👍

I’m looking for a RTT and the Terrapod and Alucab are the top two. I know everything is a compromise but…it’s still difficult to realize which negative will be the worst. If that makes any sense?

I.e. for me, the thought of having to inflate and deflate a mattress every time I set up or take down…sounds like a nightmare. I’m already doing that with ground tent or sleeping in my FJ. It’s one of the reasons I’m even looking for a new tent.

But 190 pounds on the roof sounds as bad. Plus, I cannot get in garage with either tent. So being able to get it off is important to me.

Is anyone storing their bedding in the Terrapod? Is there any mattress that is comfortable and doesn’t need to be aired up?

Is there any chance Terrapod will build a new model that is thicker to allow for bedding? Doesn’t seem like another 2” of space would weigh that much.

Thanks for any feedback

I have one of the first batches of the Terrapod, so been using it for over a year now. Like previously posted, it's built solid, great craftsmanship and holds up in varying weather. Plus USA made. Zero complaints in these departments.

So as far as keeping a sleeping bag inside while out and about, it depends. When I use my two OzTent Rivergum bags for the warmer seasons, it will not close with the air mattress inflated. I have to deflate it everytime I pack up and move on, then re-inflate when at a new camp spot. Somewhat of a pain. Even deflated, the top bows slightly when trying to latch it down. Lately I've just been keeping the mattress inflated and take the bags out each time. Sometimes I use one of those military 3-piece Gortex bags, this will fit inside when the mattress is inflated. My heavy winter bag which has a canvas outer and flannel inner with lots of fluff inside, won't fit no matter what. So really depends on the bag.

I did buy a small usb chargeable inflater off Amazon which works awesome to fill up the mattress quickly, but I can't use the deflate function because the mattresses deflate air valve has a rubber one way gasket which won't allow air to come out buy suction, only by pushing air. This would've made deflation fast and totally negate the process of pressing air out. Maybe there is some other system out there because this is probably my biggest annoyance.

Secondly, I glued outdoor carpet to the bottom. So the floor didn't get cold and it makes it more comfortable. Plus the air mattress would slide around on the slick floor. I'm eventually going to carpet the top also.

I'm 5'9" and if you sleep on your back, your feet will hit the top at the bottom end of the wedge. I'm a side sleeper so it doesn't affect me.

I also added some elastic cord around the tent to help the fabric tuck when closing. This tucks 95% of the fabric for me so just a little tucking with a homemade aluminum tucker stick with a rounded end is needed.

20221122_140915.jpg

20221122_140930.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom