BURNT UP PINION BEARING (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I RECENTLY COMPLETED A SPRING OVER ON MY 76 40 AFTER DRIVING IT ABOUT A HUNDRED MILES IN 2 WHEEL DRIVE, NO PROBLEMS, I THEN DROVE IT ABOUT 4 MILES IN 4 WHEEL DRIVE, THEN DISASTER STRUCK. THE FRONT PINION BEARING LOCKED UP. I DID THE CUT AND TURN 15 DEGREES OF PINION ANGLE, MOVED THE FILL PLUG UP 2 INCHES, MINI TRUCK KNUCKLES, AND A HIGH STEER. I TRANSFERRED THE REAR GEAR TO THE FRONT. WHAT IN THE WORLD DID I DO WRONG? ??? IS THIS GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN? DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGESTIONS? THANKS

Did you fill it with oil? ???

could the oil maybe not get into the pinion because it's pointing up? i got no idea really, cause i'm sua and a noob... but sometimes the stupid questions lead to better answers

I've run my front pinion pointed straight at the t-case for 5 years with the SOA and never raised the fill plug...no problems, just overfill a few pumps on the 90-wt. However, I rarely/never run at any speeds with the front axle locked in or in 4WD.

IMO, coincidence....bet that bearing was due to die regardless.

I agree with Woody. It sounds like coincidence. If I understood you correctly you put your rear diff in the front, therefore you put the most worn, most used, most likely to fail diff in the more difficult end of the vehicle to repair. As a rule you should keep your best in the front axle because in case of failure the rear can be removed in minutes where as the front takes a few hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom