burning smell on long hills (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This has happened a few times. hubs are all cool. Diffs. and xfer and full. engine is cool (water anyway). Dealer could find nothing. Don't see any restriction in the breather. I thought clutch but I don't know. I thought I was getting chatter, but my revs may be set too low. Thanks for any ideas.

What kind of truck, engine, year, etc. Were you towing?, loaded up?

With my 3B, it is pointless to put my foot to the floor on a long hill, it doesn't make the truck go any faster. You may be putting too much fuel to the engine, but that wouldn't be a burning smell I don't think.

I wouldn't worry unless its severe. My 3B conjures new smells if I've had the EGTs way up for a bit.

I think the explanation is that the crud on your engine all burns off at different temps. The low temp crud burns off constantly so you don't really smell it since it doesn't collect. The high temp crud collects until the rarer occasions when you get the EGTs high enough to cook it.

A small oil leak, or the condensed vapors from the stink tube might be a culprit and might only burn off when things (manifold) get super-toasty.

I hadn't considered the crud factor. I've had the truck for several years and don't floor it ever. The only other time I've smelled this burning smell was lugging through deep snow. With the throttle out a bit, the chattering went away. My occasional tach. came to life to tell me that my idle was a bit too low. Once again, cruiser says stop frettin and drive.

Any wire or hose touching the exhaust or manifold,Id keep looking in those areas.How many miles are on the clutch? Mike

It probably is the clutch if you can smell it in the snow as well.

My 1HZ clutch used to smell on the beach in soft sand. I changed it for an Exedy and although the old one looked good,the smell was never there with the new clutch.
I'm assuming my clutch disc was good,but the pressure plate did not have enough clamping pressure.

Put it up against a tall kerb and let the clutch out with the engine not too hot and see if you get the smell.

Don't know the history of the clutch. I have had it for the last 170 km. I would assume that it is original. I will try the curb thing.

Good chance it is the original

Well, I tried the curb thing and I'm still undecided. Engine at about 800 rpm. Let out the clutch in second and killed the engine. Tried it in first and again killed the engine. A little chatter before it dies. Hmm…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom